Old 28 September 2004, 20:29   #1
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim griffin
Hi all
could you please email any pictures of Solent ribs in action as am going to update my website boats for sale, many thanks
regards Tim
www.griffmarineservices.co.uk
Now, I've been very easy going so far about whether or not people do the decent thing and register as trade members, but exactly how far are you intending to push it? I do hope that I can look forward to you upgrading your account very soon

John
Old 28 September 2004, 20:31   #2

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
Hi John
im not selling ribs on your site just on mine if the thread offends then by all means remove it
Tim
Old 28 September 2004, 20:56   #3
Administrator

Quote:
im not selling ribs on your site just on mine if the thread offends then by all means remove it
No, but you are consistently promoting your company via the forums and you should contribute. If you are not prepared to then please stop using the forums this way -- this includes, but is not limited to, posting your web site details, phone numbers and details of services that you provide.

Thank you!

John
Old 28 September 2004, 21:04   #4

As do all the other schools on here in their signatures phone numbers removed
am happy to pay for advertising as have asked before, not going to be bullied into becoming a trade member when i do not say to people come to my school because of this that and the other i come on here to join in the chat read what people have to say if i can help i post if i can not i do not post if you think i am exploiting rib net then how compared to the other instructors on here
TIM
Old 28 September 2004, 22:29   #5

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
JK
why don't you ban phone numbers and links in peeps signatures the we can only make contributions for the good of the Forum.

Tim I personally don't use the Forums to promote my business as I feel to do so would compromise my ability to make an impartial comment. ie when I suggest that people should get some training it's cos I really believe they should as oposed to wanting them to use my services.

The Solent ribs are splashes of the Tohatsus (although I dare say a bit of modifications have been done on the spray rails) and they are well made and i think they represent good value as you very often point out on this Forum
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2004, 07:01   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave
JK
why don't you ban phone numbers and links in peeps signatures the we can only make contributions for the good of the Forum.

Tim I personally don't use the Forums to promote my business as I feel to do so would compromise my ability to make an impartial comment. ie when I suggest that people should get some training it's cos I really believe they should as oposed to wanting them to use my services.

The Solent ribs are splashes of the Tohatsus (although I dare say a bit of modifications have been done on the spray rails) and they are well made and i think they represent good value as you very often point out on this Forum
Hi ROGUE
i too do not suggest people come to me but i give them the choice of Paul Glatzel Dave Hickman Dave Mallet , Jono Garton and me, i can say hand on heart that only one person has come to me via ribnet and he lives on the Island . i have offered to pay for advertising in the past but John never replies to my emails
the benifits of membership to me do not warrant the £100 for being a trade member would pay that to advertise, on the forum it states that if Rib net has been of benifit to you then show your appreciation by joining re Phone Numbers they are gone regards WEBSITES all the other schools have theirs on the signature , maybe i am on here to much now that the season is slowing so best thing i can do is not post or at least limit my post,s as i like it on here, so much Knowledge ,fun , p@: s takes , wind ups ,like you i offer advise but its not to promote my school , feel i have peed JK off with this post and have told him to remove it . if JK wanted to make money then he should have charged for the Trade directory instead of using GOOGLE ADSENSE would have generated more income . any way i am going now
see ya on the water
regards Tim
Old 29 September 2004, 08:30   #7
Administrator

Quote:
As do all the other schools on here in their signatures
Some do, some don't. I don't want to have blanket bans on people having their web sites in their sigs, but I do expect a bit of balance.

You take every opportunity to promote your business, to the extent of including your phone numbers in bold print, and your latest post was undisputably for the purpose of benefitting your business.
Quote:
am happy to pay for advertising as have asked before, not going to be bullied into becoming a trade member when i do not say to people come to my school because of this that and the other i come on here to join in the chat read what people have to say if i can help i post if i can not i do not post
Quote:
i too do not suggest people come to me but i give them the choice of Paul Glatzel Dave Hickman Dave Mallet , Jono Garton and me, i can say hand on heart that only one person has come to me via ribnet and he lives on the Island .
I'm not bullying you to do anything. I am giving you a choice -- if you want to carry on as your are doing then please upgrade to a trade membership, alternatively stop promoting your business here. If the exposure that you get from RIBnet is worthless, then removing your web site address and phone numbers won't be any hardship will it?
Quote:
i have offered to pay for advertising in the past but John never replies to my emails. . . . if JK wanted to make money then he should have charged for the Trade directory instead of using GOOGLE ADSENSE would have generated more income .
I think that charging for a basic entry into the directory would not have been in everyone's interest as it would reduce the scope (and usefulness) of the directory. I will be offering the opportunity to advertise with enhanced entries in due course, but I want to make sure that I am happy with the system first.

Keeping RIBnet a useful and user friendly site is my priority. One of the results of this is that I want to limit the amount of advertising which is one of the reasons that I have stopped running traditional banner ads (the other reason is that I have had enough of chasing people for payments every time!).

As the home page is receiving getting on for 20,000 impressions a month I thought it would be worth trying Google Adsense as an experiment to see whether it was worthwhile. It's early days, but I'm pleased with the results so far.

John