Old 16 December 2007, 06:53   #21
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
I recognise that there is a fine balance between a one-off offer which is in the interests of forum members and a promotion for commercial benefit. Frankly 15% discount on a course a few days before it was due to run is not about benefiting the forum - but making the course commercially viable. So I guess what I am saying is - make it a great offer (not a token jesture) and I wouldn't object either.
I pretty much agree with you actually, and I have put SCM on notice that he needs to be a trade member if he wants to posts anything similar in the future. Looking back to his previous posts it's not exactly a "one off" after all, so maybe I should have had a word earlier.

I want RIBnet to be a generous place (within reason) rather than a tight money-grabbing hassly sort of place. Would more people prefer a zero-tolerance approach?

John
Old 16 December 2007, 07:14   #22

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post

I want RIBnet to be a generous place (within reason)
Nicely put. An excellent aspiration IOHO

Quote:
rather than a tight money-grabbing hassly sort of place.
That sounds like the Monday-Friday atmosphere for some of us already so (speaking for ourselves as leisure ribbers) RIBnet offers a facility to meet up with others and actually use the bloomin RIBs on the water !

Quote:
Would more people prefer a zero-tolerance approach?
It's a fine balance (again in our opinion). Once people are upfront about vested interests (e.g. declaring themselves as trade members) and not touting for money for this or that under some sort of false pretence (& perhaps seemingly condoned by admin) RIBnet can remain an extremely useful resource and the modern equivalent of an excellent magazine. At the end of the day if someone is trying to develop something for money via the forum, they should be open about it and should pay for trade membership. Then there can be no mistaking (for us poor humble & hard-working punters) where they are coming from. It's just the political parties who seem to get away with £££ for favours

K & P

(BTW our signature declares our full interest!!!!)
Old 16 December 2007, 08:27   #23

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jackeens View Post
It's a fine balance (again in our opinion). Once people are upfront about vested interests (e.g. declaring themselves as trade members)
Agreed, and if someone in the trade had a one off bargin offer then perhaps turn blind eye. However if it turns out to be regular advertising then an invitation to trade membership as we do at present is in order.

For example Riva (yes I know he is a trade member) recently put up some electronic charts in the for sale section. At those prices he isn't making any money but a member on a budget (arent we all) could really benefit from a chart at £40 rather than £170.

Perhaps just keep the Status Quo and not "Break the Rules" http://www.discogs.com/release/887918

Pete
Old 16 December 2007, 08:30   #24

Town: Essex
Boat name: Cetacean Protector
Make: Plasteco Milano
Length: 5m +
Engine: 75hp
Quote:
The role of Principal Instructor could perhaps be clearly explained by someone on the inside but it seems reflect a responsible system of monitoring and accountability in the business in this country.
It's the named individual held accountable by the RYA for the running and standards of an RYA approved training centre. Usually the owner or head instructor, but not always.

Basically, it's who's @rse gets kicked if it all goes wrong!
Old 17 December 2007, 09:03   #25

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Quote:

I want RIBnet to be a generous place (within reason) rather than a tight money-grabbing hassly sort of place. Would more people prefer a zero-tolerance approach?

John
Well in my opinion it's becoming the former. Keep the offers in the commercial section and maybe it becomes a little more clear cut, but I say again it wasn't an attack on SCM, but the Genre who are viewing the ribnet membership as punters which he seems to be becoming. Being a trade member also shouldn't allow you to plug yourself all over the place either

At the end of the day it's not my problem totally and I can do nothing about it other than winge, but it's spoiling a once great site.

by the way if anybody needs any RYA training or want's to buy my old Surf pls call 09890 098890
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2007, 10:00   #26
exspyrd trayd membir

Town: inn wiliks hed
Make: Redbay 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Twin Etec 90hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave View Post
other than winge
wil yew stopp winjin yew winjer

fuk mee yew cud winj forr wails

garF
Old 17 December 2007, 12:13   #27

Boat name: Yoda & Obi Wan
Make: XS700
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 HP
Quote:

John
My understanding is one of the benfits of paying trade membership is that we can put up special offer / last minute cancellations etc.

I have never felt Ribnet is a tight money- grabbing hassly sort of place, I pay a contribution towards it and receive some benefit. Seems pretty fair to me. If I dont receive benfit or dont need to pay then I will stop. Its a no-brainer really.
Old 17 December 2007, 12:19   #28

Boat name: Yoda & Obi Wan
Make: XS700
Engine: 200 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limey Linda View Post
Well said RW
what the fyk is an RYA Principal? Sounds like a marital aid to me.
Well I know we are multi talented, must add that to my CV.

On a more serious note the Principal of a RYA school is similar to the principal of a education school, he/she is a teacher who overseas the school- simple really. As a Simpsons fan Im sure such things exist the other side of the pond.
Old 17 December 2007, 12:37   #29

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Stormforce View Post
My understanding is one of the benfits of paying trade membership is that we can put up special offer / last minute cancellations etc.
SCM is not the worst offender others are more subtle perhaps or use the pm system.

Tighten up on the posts otherwise no benefit of being a trade member .

Keep those posts to the trade announcements section .

Advice is given freely by many Instructors no problem with that.

I like Rib Net great for advice , gatherings , product deals, banter, Punch ups row's ,mickey taking and so on .
Regards Tim Griffin
Old 17 December 2007, 12:47   #30
DM
RIBnet supporter

Boat name: Little Wing
Make: Searider 5.4
Engine: Tohatsu 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim griffin View Post
others are more subtle
and some are as subtle as a brick.
Old 17 December 2007, 13:24   #31
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave View Post
At the end of the day it's not my problem totally and I can do nothing about it other than winge, but it's spoiling a once great site.
As far as I can see, RIBnet continues to go from strength to strength and is at least as good as it has ever been. Sure, there may be some fine tuning to do, but I don't think there's a major problem is there?

Are you sure this isn't more to do with a personality clash between you and some of the other trade (or not!) members?

John
Old 17 December 2007, 13:30   #32
DM
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
Awful lot of peeps have links in their sigs to bona fide businesses that don't have trade membership.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
But that has always been acceptable under the published "rules".
Yes a link to a website is generously allowed but some of the sig lines are full blown adverts so every post becomes an advert. Maybe this is acceptable for paid up trade members but not for non trade members and, anyway, I don't think its within the spirit of the rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
For example Riva (yes I know he is a trade member)
Don't think he is at the moment according to his profile but, as a member, it's within the rules to post in the bits and pieces section.

Quote:
Would more people prefer a zero-tolerance approach?
Yes. I think it all needs tightening up. Just look at the amount of times posters need to be pointed in the direction of a trade membership.

What annoys me is when we get spivs thinking all the members are fools. Some of them think they're so clever with the use devices such as spoof members, which on a lot of occasions are easy to spot, drawing attention to their product/service, biased info (sometimes bare faced lies) leaning towards the products they sell, cute and clever use of information hiding an advertising message, repeated posting of the same info etc etc.

I know all this would be difficult to police but I think it needs looking at before it gets out of hand.
Old 17 December 2007, 13:46   #33
DM
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Are you sure this isn't more to do with a personality clash between you and some of the other trade (or not!) members?
Considering the amount of help that Stuarts given to Ribnet members over the years, often ending up out of pocket himself, thats out of order.
Old 17 December 2007, 17:16   #34

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmanning View Post
Considering the amount of help that Stuarts given to Ribnet members over the years, often ending up out of pocket himself, thats out of order.
Yeah... but considering it's from a man who said...
Quote:
....I want RIBnet to be a generous place (within reason) rather than a tight money-grabbing hassly sort of place.
You need to assume he's off his Meds....
Old 17 December 2007, 17:37   #35
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Length: no boat
Quote:
Yes a link to a website is generously allowed but some of the sig lines are full blown adverts so every post becomes an advert. Maybe this is acceptable for paid up trade members but not for non trade members and, anyway, I don't think its within the spirit of the rule.
Old 17 December 2007, 17:39   #36

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
What annoys me is when we get spivs thinking all the members are fools. Some of them think they're so clever with the use devices such as spoof members, which on a lot of occasions are easy to spot, drawing attention to their product/service, biased info (sometimes bare faced lies) leaning towards the products they sell, cute and clever use of information hiding an advertising message, repeated posting of the same info etc etc.
Dave, are we on the same ribnet or am I just constantly missing this? I've never been tempted to buy anything as the result of a post and if I noticed a bit of a plug I'm hardly going to let it bother me. Life's too short to worry about trivia. Just swear a bit and let it pass you by.
Alternatively, I believe some anti-psychotics are effective.
Old 17 December 2007, 17:48   #37
DM
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
Sorry. I'm already on the maximum dose. Don't be surprised to wake up with a horses head in your bed.
Old 17 December 2007, 18:14   #38
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
Dave, are we on the same ribnet or am I just constantly missing this? I've never been tempted to buy anything as the result of a post and if I noticed a bit of a plug I'm hardly going to let it bother me. Life's too short to worry about trivia. Just swear a bit and let it pass you by.
JW - I think I am in your camp on this. I have frequented other boards in the past where ghost posting (as I think it is called) was common place - I have rarely suspected this was happening on RIBnet which means it is either rare or very good. If it is going on then I would hope our more experienced members would ask sufficient questions or make not too subtle comments to make it obvious to the rest of us.
Old 17 December 2007, 18:24   #39
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
if they wound me up that much I would just turn off displaying of signatures.

I take your point though that sometimes there is more info in the sig than in the post - and that sometimes they are a bit OTT. On the otherhand though - it makes it totally clear and upfront the position someone is posting from (that might be a good thing - they are a PBI so at least slightly knowledgable about ribs or it might be a "bad" thing - they are trying to sell the latest rib or training course).

I, as someone who is not in the industry, would rather people were entitled to (or encouraged to) include a reference to their commercial interests than being in the dark. That is of course most important for new (or unregisterred) users who haven't quite got to grips with the whos who of ribnet.
Old 17 December 2007, 18:56   #40

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Sorry. I'm already on the maximum dose. Don't be surprised to wake up with a horses head in your bed.
I didn't wish to offend you although I guessed I might do.