Old 21 January 2009, 20:07   #21

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
You should also be benefiting from a much wider "user base" as its not 'restricted' to just RIBs
But this is a RIB forum I dont care about canoes etc, they dont need info about steep slips covered with weeds etc

Quote:
You know any forum thread on a given slipway will become full of off topic discussion, random banter, and people will not use the search function so there will be multiple threads on the same topic etc... then no doubt there will be the usual "PM sent" and "PM replied" messages too
Polwart .. stop being JK's fag ... Look... , its what we make it ok ? .. and as below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
Bring on the moderators, then!
Bring it, .. or them on ..... sorted
Old 21 January 2009, 20:28   #22
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
But this is a RIB forum I dont care about canoes etc, they dont need info about steep slips covered with weeds etc
maybe not (don't really need slips at all), but daysailers, large dinghies, fast fishers, trailer sailers etc all do... don't you think we will get better information by sharing amongst all of us - or would you rather that some slips were rib only / sailing boat only? If boat launch didn't exist I could understand the argument - but its there probably has >90% of the country's slipways in it and most of them are reasonably complete. If you're not happy it covers your niche well enough add to it. Having information in two separate places will be a PITA. If there is some very special info then start a thread here in the normal way - it doesn't need a new dedicated subforum. All IMHO!
Old 21 January 2009, 20:50   #23

Quote:
maybe not (don't really need slips at all), but daysailers, large dinghies, fast fishers, trailer sailers etc all do... don't you think we will get better information by sharing amongst all of us - or would you rather that some slips were rib only / sailing boat only?
course not,.. but hell I can launch in and be clear in 60 seconds, some of those guys can take hours .. so maybe you have suggested something I never thought of .. slips free of hard boat muppets now that does make this a good idea

Quote:
If boat launch didn't exist I could understand the argument - but its there probably has >90% of the country's slipways in it and most of them are reasonably complete. If you're not happy it covers your niche well enough add to it. Having information in two separate places will be a PITA.
Well I cant speak for others ,.. but I dont have time to surf a myriad of sites looking for info, so to have it all in one informed place would be a lot easier IMO
Old 21 January 2009, 20:57   #24
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
so maybe you have suggested something I never thought of .. slips free of hard boat muppets now that does make this a good idea

Quote:
Well I cant speak for others ,.. but I dont have time to surf a myriad of sites looking for info, so to have it all in one informed place would be a lot easier IMO
Neither do I which is why if I am looking for slipway info I go straight to the most useful site with all the info, and a map based search tool - rather than trying to search here in case someone might have covered it.
Old 21 January 2009, 21:01   #25

Well I think John will punk us out with some angry stares anyway mate, so maybe codders will be right JK doesnt like a lot of extra work these days, even if a bit of extra finger tapping might help him shed an ounce or two
Old 21 January 2009, 21:26   #26

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:

You know any forum thread on a given slipway will become full of off topic discussion, random banter, and people will not use the search function so there will be multiple threads on the same topic etc... then no doubt there will be the usual "PM sent" and "PM replied" messages too - just to make sure that finding the useful information is difficult, Boatlaunch means you can search geographically and get the same information for each slipway (a standard set of headings etc).
The Gallery section works very well - "lets see your rig then" and other such threads are very much on topic and don't wander!!!
Old 21 January 2009, 21:54   #27
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
I doubt it will happen as I suggested it.............
Get over yourself!
Quote:
Well I think John will punk us out with some angry stares anyway mate, so maybe codders will be right JK doesnt like a lot of extra work these days, even if a bit of extra finger tapping might help him shed an ounce or two
And you too.

Wind your collective necks in please!

There's a vast amount of information on boatlaunch already, it's easily searchable, and it's linked to maps. In what way is a forum going to be better?

It would be far more constructive to have a bit of a push to persuade people to make the effort to add the information to boatlaunch. If you have suggestions for how boatlaunch could be improved then I'm sure that Geoff would be delighted to hear them.

However, if there's a genuine want for this on RIBnet (and that means more than a handful of people shouting the odds) then I'll look at some way of doing it. Who's going to get the ball rolling? Someone post a suitably detailed entry and I'll sticky it and we'll see how many more get added.
Old 21 January 2009, 22:15   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
And you too.

The thanks you get for chuckin ideas around .. sigh.... (ok with some embellishments )
Old 26 January 2009, 13:01   #29
Administrator

Town: Brighton
OK, we haven't exactly had a flood of people posting slipway info in the last few days. Like none.

So let's try working to improve boatlaunch instead of trying to reinvent it, and see how it goes. Any comments in this thread please:
http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=28146