Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIBnet Community Forums > About RIBnet | Site Help & Announcements
Click Here to Login

Old 26 August 2013, 07:49   #1

Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Twin 50 Mariners
Site inserting links into posts without poster's knowledge

Hey, looks like some advertising software has come along and inserted a link in my post above (the link to "mudguard", which I didn't put in there). Now ads on the side of the site are one thing, but anyone else feel that when they start modifying your post, that's becoming a bit much? Who knows what links it might make it look like you've put there? I for one object to that!

if you'll forgive the digression....
Old 26 August 2013, 07:53   #2

it gets murkier ... the links disappear if you're logged in, they're only visible if you aren't - so log in and you can't even see what the site's doing to your post....

OK, OK, I'll take it to the proper part of the forum.....
Old 26 August 2013, 08:12   #3

Site inserting links into posts without poster's knowledge

Hi

I've just discovered that the site is, without notification to or control by posters, modifying posts by inserting advertising links on certain words. And if you make the effort to log into the site, you can't even see what's been done to your contribution - it seems to be only those who haven't logged in (or non members) who see what's been done. Can I ask you, please, not to do that? I think anyone reading a post is going to assume that a link was put there by the original poster and, although the examples I've seen so far are innocuous,doing this without the poster even knowing I think is unacceptable. Ads on the site are one thing, but surreptitiously modifying peoples' posts I do think goes too far... hope you see what I mean

Thanks!
Old 26 August 2013, 08:26   #4

Length: 3m +
Inclined to agree in that it looks like an endorsement of a product by the poster, although a mouseover does make it clear the link was added by skimwords.

For people who don't like it the answer is easy log in. However I don't like that others may assume I am somehow affiliated to the product...

I assume admin will be along to point out the android app doesn't do it either, since it doesn't do the general ads.
Old 26 August 2013, 11:31   #5
Administrator

Town: Brighton
It's part of the way that the forum pays its way. As ShinyShoe says it only shows the ads to visitors who aren't logged in, and the mobile apps don't currently show the ads.
Old 26 August 2013, 11:51   #6
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
It's part of the way that the forum pays its way.
Guess that's what happens if not enough "members" become "supporters" then Boss...
Old 26 August 2013, 15:11   #7

Town: Oakland CA
Off topic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithyyy View Post
Hey, looks like some advertising software has come along and inserted a link in my post above (the link to "mudguard", which I didn't put in there).
Make sure you're logged in to RIB.net; if not, I think you get weird ads all over the place.

For the record, I don't get the rollover ad you refer to.
Old 26 August 2013, 16:25   #8

1. To be clear to those coming new to this, the first two posts of mine above have been transferred from another thread, without explanation, by the admin. I don't mind them being transferred, they were digressions to the original thread, but I have to say I find it odd that they have been moved without the fact that that has been done being made clear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
It's part of the way that the forum pays its way. As ShinyShoe says it only shows the ads to visitors who aren't logged in, and the mobile apps don't currently show the ads.
But the point is not that by logging in I can avoid seeing the ads. I know that the links in my posts were not made by me. It's the fact that to all the people who haven't logged in, and aren't using the mobile apps, the site makes it look as though I've inserted in my post links to commercial sites which I have not inserted. That's what I find unacceptable and what I was asking you - politely I hope - to stop doing. It's a bit of customer feedback I was hoping you would consider
Old 26 August 2013, 17:36   #9
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Smitty, it wasn't me who moved your posts but only because someone else beat me to it. I probably wouldn't have added any explanation either - you said you were going to start the discussion in the right place but didn't.

Ribnet has been using ads like this
for a while and although I don't really like it you probably need to recognise the corporate reality of running a site this size. That reality is that customers matter. but customers are people who give you money - so that includes advertisers
Old 26 August 2013, 23:18   #10
RIBnet supporter

Town: Dinard, Brittany
Boat name: Into the Red
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
RIBase
Smithyyy what browser do you use? Are you sure that you haven't accidentally downloaded an extension that does this? I have had this a couple of times. Do you find words highlighted on other sites in the same way? If so, have a quick look through your extensions are plugins to make sure nothing has been added without your knowing.
Old 27 August 2013, 05:33   #11

Thanks for the suggestion gotchiguy - to answer the question, I use Firefox, and I have checked the add-ons - which I keep to a minimum anyway - nothing odd there. And ribnet is the only site I participate in which does this. But in any case, John Kennett and Poly seem to acknowledge above that these ads are deliberate site policy...