Old 25 February 2015, 09:30   #11
RIBnet admin team

Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
RIBase
Before you lads lobby for more Censorship and Control by Central Authority, are you SURE that there's a problem?

Old 25 February 2015, 11:39   #12

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
I think people are bored and need to get out on the water more. Less of bored.net and whinge.net!!

Old 25 February 2015, 11:41   #13

Town: Glasgow
Make: Ribcraft 6.8
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki df200
only ducks are on the water more than me :-) even at that the local ones may question that!

cheers
Old 25 February 2015, 11:50   #14
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
Yep, number of posts is not the point really though, it's just a blooming cheek to use the forum as a free ads service with no intention in joining or adding to the community. Applies whether you're a scammer or plain old freeloader. It's just common courtesy. IME it is the norm to have some sort of restriction to sales forums on most serious enthusiasts forums whatever the subject.
There are a numerous petty inconveniences that some forum owners inflict on their members and potential members for a variety of reasons. Examples are manually approving new registrations, moderating posts by new users, disabling PMs for new users, and preventing new users from posting in certain forums.

I have never understood the problem with people registering to post an advert. There's no need to "earn" the right to post an advert, it's a facility that's open to everyone. It's in all of our interests to have things advertised here, as we may just want to buy them. I'd much rather people just post their advert without being forced to indulge in small talk to get enough posts to pass an arbitrary test.

As ever I'm happy to review it if there is a genuine problem with dodgy adverts, but I'm not seeing it so far.
Old 25 February 2015, 12:00   #15

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard, Y-162
Make: Aerotec 380, Y-Class
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
There are a numerous petty inconveniences that some forum owners inflict on their members and potential members for a variety of reasons. Examples are manually approving new registrations, moderating posts by new users, disabling PMs for new users, and preventing new users from posting in certain forums.

I have never understood the problem with people registering to post an advert. There's no need to "earn" the right to post an advert, it's a facility that's open to everyone. It's in all of our interests to have things advertised here, as we may just want to buy them. I'd much rather people just post their advert without being forced to indulge in small talk to get enough posts to pass an arbitrary test.

As ever I'm happy to review it if there is a genuine problem with dodgy adverts, but I'm not seeing it so far.
You're the boss!

Old 25 February 2015, 13:13   #16
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubrus View Post
It is the norm on other forums i'm a member of you need X posts and wait X days before you can access the for sale section.

Maybe the mod's will review the for sale or restrict posting down to only those who meet whatever the criteria is.

IMO it has to be X posts and X days otherwise you just get 50 posts of crap in 24 hours.

cheers
It surprises me we don't really get this problem but I've never noticed a new user sticking loads of stuff on all at once. Perhaps the stricter the rules the more people will try to push to the limit, and the more common sense the less need for rules.
Old 25 February 2015, 17:31   #17

Town: Belper
Boat name: Ey up mi duck
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
It surprises me we don't really get this problem but I've never noticed a new user sticking loads of stuff on all at once. Perhaps the stricter the rules the more people will try to push to the limit, and the more common sense the less need for rules.

As always a lot of what has been said has gone way over my head . I can't compare this forum with any other because I don't go on any other nor Facebook etc .

I do know though in life that the more secure and safe something seems ( to the user ) the less suspicious they are and therefore more vulnerable . So by being less restricted it may make us less complacent and therefore less attractive to scum .
I may be off the mark but just an onlookers view

Sent from my iPad using RIB Net