Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 31 October 2005, 07:37   #31
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M
...I disagree that about ur comment that nothing in life is free. Some people actually enjoy doing something for the benifit of others....
Agreed.

But I suppose you could argue that in enjoying it they should pay for their pleasure.

Not my sentiments but you could argue it.
__________________

__________________
JW.
jwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2005, 09:43   #32
Administrator
 
John Kennett's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 6,830
I can't see any situation where I would want to charge people for reading or posting to the forums. It would be counter productive, and damage the amazing community that has been built up here over the last few years.

I put in quite a lot of time to try to ensure that things run smoothly, and occasionally I lay down the law about what may nor may not be acceptable, but I'm just providing a framework -- the real value is down to everyone that posts here.

The subscriptions work "backwards". If you feel you've had value for money from RIBnet, then I'm very happy to get something back. No pressure, no obligation.

There are a couple of exceptions:

- advertising items for sale, which requires a Silver membership or better
- and anyone using RIBnet to further their business activities

Posting adverts uses a straight forward, automated system. Unless you have a Silver or better membership you can't post in that section. Simple.

Trade members have a bit more slack, and unless I feel that they are taking undue advantage I tend not to hassle them (although individual members do from time to time!). I reckon that for just about any business related to RIBs and ribbing, £100 a year is an very modest contribution for the amount of exposure that can be achieved here. The feedback from trade members is generally good, and I hope that forum members are supporting them in return.

Interesting to see that the much requested cheaper subscription hasn't been a runaway success so far!

John
__________________

__________________
John Kennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2005, 10:21   #33
Member
 
Country: Belgium
Town: NIVELLES BELGIUM
Boat name: INDEPENDENT
Make: BWM RAPIER
Length: 9m +
Engine: Ob 2*250/2t yams hpd
MMSI: 235030702
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 885
Interesting to see that the much requested cheaper subscription hasn't been a runaway success so far!

that's the point JK -it seems that most of the members are free ones.

In my books- its a an excellent site and gives a lot of enjoyment.I have a rib and what is nice is that the slightest problem can be solved quickly and easily by reference to your site. Cant say the same eg Garmin and lots of other official web sites.

sincerely

Jonathan
__________________
eupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2005, 16:08   #34
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Abersoch and Wirral`
Boat name: Pitch
Make: Zodiac CZ7
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2x Evinrude 175 Etec
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 87
Just an observation

but it seems to me that the members who normally have the most to say (and take greatest advantage of JK's huge generosity) are uncharacteristically silent on this particular subject.

Why's that?

atb

Jon
__________________
jellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2005, 17:40   #35
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Winchester
Boat name: H2O
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50hp Honda
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 78
Lost................

Guys I'm lost here!!!!
What exactly are we talking about I thought this Forum business was free.......

PS I obviously need a nickname...................
__________________
Steve Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 November 2005, 02:52   #36
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 2,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellis
but it seems to me that the members who normally have the most to say (and take greatest advantage of JK's huge generosity) are uncharacteristically silent on this particular subject.

Why's that?

atb

Jon
Here's yet another "observation"...Having the most to say, is not the same as having the most to gain.. I mean .. JW is a member, what does he have to gain? He knows more about this 'ere boating business than the rest of us put together, with some obvious exceptions. If he had to pay for the privilege of sharing his knowledge with those who need it, how fair would that be?.... Sorry JW, I’m not trying to tell anyone what you think, just trying to use you as an example…and I don’t mean to imply you are “gobby” either….
__________________
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 November 2005, 05:37   #37
Member
 
Pete7's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 4,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Waters
Guys I'm lost here!!!!
What exactly are we talking about I thought this Forum business was free.......
Steve your right it is, but to help JK out with the costs of hosting Ribnet and the hours involved in developing the site since 1997 a system of voluntary subscriptions was introduced a couple of years ago for ordinary members and a separate membership for trade members. Why pay for something free? well its a small annual fee for the "crack" as those from the the little green and pleasant island in the Eastern Atlantic, would say.

For me its worth the £30 pa for the help and advice I have been given over the years, not to mention the great social events and cruises organised via Ribnet.

Pete
__________________
.
Ribnet is best viewed on a computer of some sort
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 November 2005, 07:44   #38
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Boat name: Seashell
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Inboard diesel
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 5,263
Quote:
For me its worth the £30 pa for the help and advice I have been given over the years, not to mention the great social events and cruises organised via Ribnet.
That is a very valid point; most forums don't arrange social do's and outings. RIBnet is a lot more active than the BIBOA and is cheaper!
__________________
Tim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 November 2005, 13:04   #39
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 5,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7
its a small annual fee for the "crack" as those from the the little green and pleasant island in the Eastern Atlantic, would say.

For me its worth the £30 pa for the help and advice I have been given over the years, not to mention the great social events and cruises organised via Ribnet.

Pete
Hear hear as usual Cap'n.

Yep , well worth supporting RIBnet.

We've met some truly brill peeps and have been on some amazing trips, not to mention all the advice available ( which may often need a good amount of triangulation before making a decision ).

Kathleen & Paul
__________________
Happy New Resolutions!!! : RIBbing for the craic!!!
The Jackeens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 November 2005, 13:21   #40
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Abersoch and Wirral`
Boat name: Pitch
Make: Zodiac CZ7
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2x Evinrude 175 Etec
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7
Steve your right it is, but to help JK out with the costs of hosting Ribnet and the hours involved in developing the site since 1997 a system of voluntary subscriptions was introduced a couple of years ago for ordinary members and a separate membership for trade members. Why pay for something free? well its a small annual fee for the "crack" as those from the the little green and pleasant island in the Eastern Atlantic, would say.

For me its worth the £30 pa for the help and advice I have been given over the years, not to mention the great social events and cruises organised via Ribnet.

Pete

Exactly,Yo and well said!

Jon
__________________

__________________
jellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:47.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.