Old 02 October 2008, 16:08   #1

Town: Cowes, Isle of Wight
Boat name: TiLT 2
Make: Avon Adventure 620
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 135
MMSI: 235032203
RIBnet makeover?

I think its time for a revamp. The forum is looking tired.
Old 02 October 2008, 16:28   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Moore View Post
really? I think it is one of the cleanest/clearest forums around. can you post examples of forums which you think are better in terms of appearance, and preferably still sensible with Bandwidth?
Old 02 October 2008, 16:33   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
really? I think it is one of the cleanest/clearest forums around. can you post examples of forums which you think are better in terms of appearance, and preferably still sensible with Bandwidth?
I think the default vBulletin scheme looks nicer. And we should have avatars without having to pay.
Old 02 October 2008, 16:51   #4
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
I think the default vBulletin scheme looks nicer.
but that is a matter of person opinion/taste. I wonder if its possible for JK to let users pick their own "skins" so they can make their version of RiBnet on their machine as hideous as they wish whilst keeping the current setting as default for those of us who don't care or think JK has done a good job? Of course I would expect JK to only make that option available to those who decide to support the running costs of the site.
Quote:
And we should have avatars without having to pay.
so lets get this straight - you value avatars, but not enough that you are willing to pay for them... oh but actually you are a supporter - so either you are getting something in return for a payment you were willing to make anyway or its working from the point of view of encouraging you to support the costs of Ribnet - and maybe even helping JK earn a living for providing the services we use and enjoy.
Old 02 October 2008, 16:57   #5

Quote:
but that is a matter of person opinion/taste.
Agreed, it is.

Quote:
so lets get this straight - you value avatars, but not enough that you are willing to pay for them... oh but actually you are a supporter - so either you are getting something in return for a payment you were willing to make anyway or its working from the point of view of encouraging you to support the costs of Ribnet - and maybe even helping JK earn a living for providing the services we use and enjoy.
I felt honour bound to pay my sub when JK introduced avatars as a paid for add on. But then he hobbled the idea turning them off as default for other users.

Andy
Old 02 October 2008, 17:02   #6
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Quote:
I don't have any plans to make any major changes just for the sake of it. In my experience most users prefer things not to change too much unless it's to add something that is actually useful.

There are a few things that I'd like to change, but they're not high on the priorities list. As ever, if there is anything specific that would would like to see I'm open to suggestions.

John
Old 02 October 2008, 17:06   #7
Administrator

Quote:
I felt honour bound to pay my sub when JK introduced avatars as a paid for add on.
No, no, no! A free gift as a thank you for RIBnet supporters!
Quote:
But then he hobbled the idea turning them off as default for other users.
Only to wind you up though

You did see my follow up post back in June, didn't you?

John
Old 02 October 2008, 17:09   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
No, no, no! A free gift as a thank you for RIBnet supporters! Only to wind you up though

You did see my follow up post back in June, didn't you?

John
Cool.
Old 02 October 2008, 18:38   #9

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Of course I would expect JK to only make that option available to those who decide to support the running costs of the site.

so lets get this straight - you value avatars, but not enough that you are willing to pay for them... oh but actually you are a supporter - so either you are getting something in return for a payment you were willing to make anyway or its working from the point of view of encouraging you to support the costs of Ribnet
So .. I wanted to support this site because of its content.. but I dont agree with you Polwart .. Avatars should be free, along with certain other features that come as standard with this software, as they are no cost to implement apart from Mr K's time ofcourse (and that is only a minimal set up time). I think all users who benefit from the input of others should make a subscription donation Whilst I appreciate Johns wish to perhaps gain some revenue from his site, with holding embedded functions that are automatically available on other sites using the same software, is not the right way to go about it IMO it just makes this sight appear dated, and under developed. I have stated elsewhere that I appreciate the smooth running of it however, and as MR K pointed out here even after I subscribed, I still never used an avatar. I subscribe for the content, and to support the running costs, I just wish all the options were available to everyone
Old 02 October 2008, 18:49   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
So .. I wanted to support this site because of its content.. but I dont agree with you Polwart .. Avatars should be free, along with certain other features that come as standard with this software, as they are no cost to implement apart from Mr K's time ofcourse (and that is only a minimal set up time). I think all users who benefit from the input of others should make a subscription donation Whilst I appreciate Johns wish to perhaps gain some revenue from his site, with holding embedded functions that are automatically available on other sites using the same software, is not the right way to go about it IMO it just makes this sight appear dated, and under developed. I have stated elsewhere that I appreciate the smooth running of it however, and as MR K pointed out here even after I subscribed, I still never used an avatar. I subscribe for the content, and to support the running costs, I just wish all the options were available to everyone

Very succinctly put, Sir.
Old 02 October 2008, 19:26   #11
Administrator

OK, I think we all know where you two stand on the issue of avatars.

What other "features" do you think are missing?

John
Old 02 October 2008, 20:39   #12

Apart from free avatars , optional layouts, more smileys doh... I already used that one... longer to edit a post without it saying you did so .. also some peeps (not many granted) like having more than 30 posts per page, and I still say we need a big 'return to top of thread' button if you aint got a scroll mouse, even though theres a teensy wee one if you go hunting for it ,... and a Welcome thread .. Howzat ?

Is there not also a function where you can incorporate several posts from several people without having to copy and paste lots from different users, when you want to make a single reply to different individuals from within your single reply post ?

ie

quote from "John Kennet"

my reply

quote from "polwart"

my reply

etc etc

Ive seen other forums where there is a multi reply button that lets you add quotes for you to reply to, in a single post, since I see a lot of peeps doing that here but incorrectly as they dont know how to, but they get round it by making several post instead etc
Old 02 October 2008, 21:02   #13
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Is there not also a function where you can incorporate several posts from several people without having to copy and paste lots from different users, when you want to make a single reply to different individuals from within your single reply post ?
OK i'll give you that would be an improvement to functionality.
Old 02 October 2008, 21:19   #14

Quote:
OK i'll give you that would be an improvement to functionality.
I'm most grateful to have your agreement sire
Old 02 October 2008, 21:26   #15
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
I'm most grateful to have your agreement sire
don't get carried away - by implication I thought your other suggestions were not so good.

FYI - the user CP allows display of upto 100 posts per page at present (possibly after todays upgrade).
Old 02 October 2008, 21:43   #16

Quote:
I thought your other suggestions were not so good
I'll brush that comment aside being thick skinned ...when will you have some of your own to suggest then ? ..
Old 02 October 2008, 21:56   #17
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
I don't think it's tired..Take a look at the 2001 forums:-

http://web.archive.org/web/200212010...rld.com/forum/

That
looks dated!

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 October 2008, 21:58   #18
Administrator

Quote:
Apart from free avatars , optional layouts, more smileys doh... I already used that one... longer to edit a post without it saying you did so .. also some peeps (not many granted) like having more than 30 posts per page, and I still say we need a big 'return to top of thread' button if you aint got a scroll mouse, even though theres a teensy wee one if you go hunting for it ,... and a Welcome thread .. Howzat ?
OK, that's a fair list to start with.

Avatars have been done to death, but if anyone other than you or Andy wants to chip in with an opinion that's fine.

Optional layouts are a possibility, but would involve a fair amount of ongoing time and effort. It's not something that I plan to do in the short term, but it's a possibility.

There are third-party smiley sites for people who really feel deprived, but including more smileys would be OK - subject to them not being totally crap! Any in particular that you would like?

How long would you like to have to edit a post? At the moment you have an hour to make any changes, with a couple of minutes grace before it adds "Last Edited by..."

In your options you can now set the number of posts to show on a page to 20, 30, 50 or 100. The default is still 10 - maybe that should be increased now that most people are on fastish connections?

There is already a "Top" link in the bottom right hand corner of the page, but I agree it's not very prominent. With 100 posts per page it's going to be a lot of scrolling! Do you often actually need to go back to the top of a page though?

The idea of a welcome thread was discussed a while back and didn't gain a lot of support. It's still something that's on the "maybe" list.

Quote:
There is, but I haven't implemented it because I am not convinced that it would actually be an improvement. It's not something that is needed very often, but would mean adding an additional button to every post - one more little bit of creeping clutter on the screen. It is more complicated than a simple quote (and enough people manage to screw that up as it is), and I suspect that it would greatly increase the amount of quoted text.

Given that it's something that would be used in a small minority of posts, plus it is no big deal to post two separate replies if necessary, and that the more clueful can already do multiple quotes, I just feel that the disadvantages outweigh the benefits.

John
Old 02 October 2008, 22:00   #19
Administrator

Quote:
FYI - the user CP allows display of upto 100 posts per page at present (possibly after todays upgrade).
That's me being responsive to user suggestions!

John
Old 02 October 2008, 22:00   #20
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
I'll brush that comment aside being thick skinned ...when will you have some of your own to suggest then ? ..
I don't have any as I generally think JK has done a pretty good job. I have no objection if he wants to add those "pretty" features people are looking for either for everyone or as a reward for those who pay for the site.

The one thing that might be worth considering (if vBulletin does it) is a "Quick reply" button which doesn't need a new page to load; typically it offers a simple non-wysiwig editor in the original thread.