Old 15 November 2012, 11:01   #1

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
RIBnet Error States

Been a while now since the change of RIBnet ownership (?) and the coming of the iPhone App. I've been using the App perhaps equally with a Mac over that time but there's been a steady flow of RIBnet App error messages on the iPhone that detract from it's use (no errors on the Mac at all). These error messages are sometimes contrary to what's actually happening within the RIBnet App. The messages haven't just started suddenly - this issue has been there since day 1. Just been giving it time to see if it settles down. It hasn't

For instance, this morning (it's been particularly bad):

* With a good 3G signal AND strong WiFi signal - "Network Connection Error". If I clear this message it just keeps coming back and back and back and back. There's no connection error. All other iPhone functions and Apps work just great. If I shut down the App and restart then it's fine ... till the next time.
* "Network Connection Lost". But it isn't ...
* "Parse Error" (whatever that means)
* A can't-remember message that includes letters/numbers/punctuation marks and expletives. It was that complicated, I can't recall any of the detail. Had to shut down the App and restart it.

To add insult to injury, I've written this on the Mac as the iPhone App - with no error messages - won't allow me beyond line 5 of writing words before the flashing cursor changes to a flashing dot and nothing can be input beyond that.

There's none of these problems - or any other problems - using other App's on my iPhone.

Anyone else? Any admin comments?
Old 15 November 2012, 11:06   #2

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leapy
Been a while now since the change of RIBnet ownership (?) and the coming of the iPhone App. I've been using the App perhaps equally with a Mac over that time but there's been a steady flow of RIBnet App error messages on the iPhone that detract from it's use (no errors on the Mac at all). These error messages are sometimes contrary to what's actually happening within the RIBnet App. The messages haven't just started suddenly - this issue has been there since day 1. Just been giving it time to see if it settles down. It hasn't

For instance, this morning (it's been particularly bad):

* With a good 3G signal AND strong WiFi signal - "Network Connection Error". If I clear this message it just keeps coming back and back and back and back. There's no connection error. All other iPhone functions and Apps work just great. If I shut down the App and restart then it's fine ... till the next time.
* "Network Connection Lost". But it isn't ...
* "Parse Error" (whatever that means)
* A can't-remember message that includes letters/numbers/punctuation marks and expletives. It was that complicated, I can't recall any of the detail. Had to shut down the App and restart it.

To add insult to injury, I've written this on the Mac as the iPhone App - with no error messages - won't allow me beyond line 5 of writing words before the flashing cursor changes to a flashing dot and nothing can be input beyond that.

There's none of these problems - or any other problems - using other App's on my iPhone.

Anyone else? Any admin comments?
Yes my friend I also have to put up with all you have listed its a PITA to say the least.

Sent from my iPhone using Rib.net
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2012, 11:25   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
Yes my friend I also have to put up with all you have listed its a PITA to say the least.

Must be a Ribcraft owners conspiracy
Old 15 November 2012, 11:49   #4

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leapy

Must be a Ribcraft owners conspiracy
God font mention conspiracy after last nights Disco thread!! But you could be right the dark force maybe working!!

Old 15 November 2012, 12:04   #5

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
No problems like that on Andriod......
Old 15 November 2012, 12:07   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
No problems like that on Andriod......
Yeah, but you haven't got a Ribcraft
Old 15 November 2012, 12:20   #7
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Tch! Ribcraft owners trying to hatch a conspiracy theory? It'll never stick!

No, I reckon it's another iPhail issue. That, and I'm gonna move this thread to where it's supposed to be - where it will appeal more to my Sense of Order.
Old 15 November 2012, 12:50   #8

Town: Huisnes sur Mer
Boat name: Raufoss
Make: Avon
Engine: Mercury 50
Yep, i get Parse errors on a nearly daily basis.....personally i think parse errors are just something else that IT geeks have created in order to give them something to charge a fortune for when they 'fix' them.... Whatever they are :-)

My biggest gripe though is the short timeout period after logging in.... Iv lost countless messages because its timed out and i get a message saying something about already being logged in?? It then prompts me to press the back button to find my reply has disapeared and i have to write it again.... Doh!

If my reply is lengthy then i always copy it to the clipboard first just in case....

Simon

Old 15 November 2012, 12:56   #9

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
To add confusion, I do have an IPad problem but it only affects single line replies. The very first line of text on a reply doesn't always register and also can't be edited. Because it thinks there is no text there the 'send' button is greyed out. I have to hit carriage return first before typing. As I regularly forget this , I end up typing the message twice. Although it shows on the reply screen, only one line appears on the thread once 'sent'.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2012, 12:56   #10

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk
Tch! Ribcraft owners trying to hatch a conspiracy theory? It'll never stick!

No, I reckon it's another iPhail issue. That, and I'm gonna move this thread to where it's supposed to be - where it will appeal more to my Sense of Order.
I know what are we like?! Okay don't answer that.

Old 15 November 2012, 13:30   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
have to hit carriage return first before typing
Aye ... these early mechanical typewriter based iPads are such a pain, aren't they?
Old 15 November 2012, 13:50   #12
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorhandler View Post
My biggest gripe though is the short timeout period after logging in.... Iv lost countless messages because its timed out and i get a message saying something about already being logged in?? It then prompts me to press the back button to find my reply has disapeared and i have to write it again.... Doh!
Does this happen when you have checked the "Keep me logged in" box? If you don't select this, your session times out very quickly if you don't move between posts etc. I have this trouble at my place of (occasional) work, where there would be a risk of my flying monkeys wresting control from me if I left my account "live".

There'd be wigs on the green then!
Old 15 November 2012, 14:06   #13

Town: Huisnes sur Mer
Boat name: Raufoss
Make: Avon
Engine: Mercury 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk

Does this happen when you have checked the "Keep me logged in" box? If you don't select this, your session times out very quickly if you don't move between posts etc. I have this trouble at my place of (occasional) work, where there would be a risk of my flying monkeys wresting control from me if I left my account "live".

There'd be wigs on the green then!
Whats this 'keep me logged in' button?....

Just kidding.. Yes it does it even after selecting that option.
There are times though when, like you, i prefer to be logged out automatically but even when i get prompted to log in when attempting to reply to a thread.... I get the message and i know all is lost.

I think it does this when i log in on my pc at work but then post something from my iphone when I'm out and about away from my office...

Funny, i wonder if its possible to quantify the amount of lost productivity at the workplace as a direct result of Rib.net? :-)

Anyway, Next time it happens il copy/paste the error message onto this thread....

Cheers Willk

Simon

Old 15 November 2012, 14:16   #14

Town: Surrey
Boat name: Fugly & Rokraider 1
Make: Pac 22 & Porter 6.5
Engine: Ford 250 & jet,DT140
This might help?

Old 15 November 2012, 15:15   #15
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Eggsbox 360 anyone?

I use the RIBnet iPhone app almost exclusively and the only time I get an error is if I have a dodgy internet connection. Some people have reported connection errors recently, so that may be connected, but I think that's sorted now.

I think that the only confirmed issue is the greyed out "Send" button which is solved by hitting "return".

As far as I know there is no significant problem with the app itself. If you are having recurring problems there are a few things you can try:

1 - Force the app to close: double click the home button to display the app switching bar, touch and hold one of the icons until they go wobbly and show an x in the corner, touch the x on the RIBnet app. Then restart it.

2 - Reboot your iPhone/Pad/Pod: hold down the sleep/wake button and the home button together and keep holding them until the screen goes black

3 - Delete and reinstall the app: on the home screen that includes the RIBnet app icon, touch and hold one of the icons until they go wobbly and show an x in the corner. Then touch the x on the RIBnet app and touch "yes" to delete it. Then reinstall from the app Store.

Please bear in mind that the app is produced by a third party developer (it's a white label version of Forum Runner), and that it's free and comes with no warranty! We'll always try to make sure that it runs as well as possible, but there's sometimes a limit to what can be done.
Old 15 November 2012, 15:25   #16

John ... I've done all of that ... closing the App ... rebooting the phone ... and all is then ok until the next time.

Again ... this is the ONLY App that causes problems
Old 15 November 2012, 15:52   #17
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Odd. Can you try installing the generic Forum Runner app and seeing if that's any different?
Old 15 November 2012, 16:25   #18

Town: Luxembourg
Boat name: Kalish
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 6.3
Engine: 175 Mercury Optimax
RIBase
no problem with mine - humber owner ....
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2012, 17:57   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
Odd. Can you try installing the generic Forum Runner app and seeing if that's any different?
Forum Runner - vBulletin @ £1.69? The one whose reviews start off like this:

Dreadful
Dreadful
Freezes
Poor
Awful

Just a thought ... does moving from one WiFi provider to another WiFi provider to 3G (say when in a Shopping Mall) cause a problem with an open RIBnet App? Nothing else is affected on the phone - normally this type of scenario is handled seamlessly - but it's a variable related to connectivity.
Old 15 November 2012, 17:58   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
no problem with mine - humber owner ....
Smug git

« RIBnet "down" | Top | App »