Old 13 October 2014, 14:29   #41

Town: Castlebar
Boat name: Clewless
Make: Valiant DR 490
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60 hp ETEC
MMSI: Awaitng one
RIBase
I do have to agree with some of the posts. I think that Tom Liney Swan was dealt with very harshly in this forum (I am not thinking of the RI2013 been called a race that slating was due to him). I do not know Mr Swan or HMS who I assume is his father.

I have seen what can only be discribed as envy or nastness from time to time in this forum. I dont know if it is a ilike for the person or envy of their boat thankfully these types of posts are rare but when they happen I am disapointed

TSM
Old 13 October 2014, 14:32   #42

Length: no boat
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerny View Post
Just like cars, someone will always have a bigger, newer, and better rib than the one you have but as long as a rib is safe and seaworthy and the owner is having fun then that is all that counts for me.

I take the pisk out of LR owners on here but in reality it is only banter and I think that most LR owners on here know that, and also as is the comments from the anti Jap Brigade.

Lifes too short to take offence you will never have a forum that has a 100% harmony with all it's members but RIBnet is 99% there in my opinion.

Peace
Just spotted this thread and was reminded of a "slightly bumpy ride" when I first joined - caused by a rather poor joke I posted. Having only just joined I pulled out - but it is great site and inevitably I had to try again. There are some great ideas on here and I particularly enjoy the banter, some of which is up there with the best comedy shows. The technical guys are brilliant to have - and as a community forum of like minded individuals it is one of the best sites I have ever seen. Kerny is absolute correct in that it will not always be 100% all the time - but as a whole it's pretty good. In addition it has a hugely charitable ethos unlike many enterprises seen today. It is well know that media forums cause dissent due to the nature of the medium - you are dealing with "ether people" a lot of the time. What is truly great about ribnet however is that the social gatherings bring reality to the medium.
Old 13 October 2014, 15:12   #43
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
I guess this sort of response is what is being referred to ?

I rest my case ....
Oh, sorry I thought the complaint was about people being treated harshly because of the type of boat they own.
Old 13 October 2014, 15:13   #44

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Time to invoke #4

.....sh1t happens.......
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Old 13 October 2014, 15:22   #45

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Time to invoke #4
I agree ... It's a great forum with a great bunch who post, and, run it , sure people disagree and take a view ... Welcome to a .....Forum ..... now get the F..k back to boating chaps
Old 13 October 2014, 15:37   #46
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Quote:

I rest my case ....
We don't tolerate abuse, but we do encourage debate and discussion. If anyone gives poor advice, posts outlandish claims, or makes groundless complaints they should expect to be politely challenged.

We work pretty hard behind the scenes to get the balance right. Sometimes people get upset because we discourage their witty banter, other times people feel that there's too much of it. We don't all have to agree on things, and in any group this size there will be people who simply don't get on with each other, but we do expect any disagreements to be civilised and polite.

On the whole I think that everyone does pretty well, but I accept that we're not going to be able to please everyone all the time. I suggest that anyone who found Poly's response to PeterM's "It's why I don't post much any more" post offensive or otherwise unacceptable may need to consider whether RIBnet is the right place for them. Likewise, people who feel that their posts regularly receive negative feedback may like to check in with themselves and think again about what they post and how they word it.

As ever, if anyone feels that any post is abusive or goes against the guidelines in some other way then please bring it to our attention using the "Report post" button and we'll review it. I don't guarantee that we will agree with you, but we do consider each report carefully.
Old 13 October 2014, 15:41   #47
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
As ever, if anyone feels that any post is abusive or goes against the guidelines in some other way then please bring it to our attention using the "Report post" button and we'll review it. I don't guarantee that we will agree with you, but we do consider each report carefully.
And for those of you who mostly use the App rather than a browser rather than click (!) on the left of the post you:

- select the post that you want to report
- hit the three vertical dots button in the top right
- select "Report" from the drop down menu.

That is for Android I assume it is the same or very similar in iOS.
Old 13 October 2014, 15:49   #48

Town: Acharacle
Boat name: Iolar
Make: Redbay
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Oh, sorry I thought the complaint was about people being treated harshly because of the type of boat they own.
I don't think that the OP's point was quite as simple as that, and certainly the point that I was trying to make, was that the 'locker room' rough and tumble might make some people reluctant to post for fear of being shot down, whether it be using outright rudeness (rare in my experience) or sarcasm (much more common).

At the end of the day, as has been pointed out, it's only an observation, and nobody holds a gun to ones head to keep using the forum. It may be that the atmosphere of the forum is a product of those that frequent it, and not something you can engineer. If you don't like one pub then it's prolly easier to go to another rather than change the one you're in. Of course pubs catering to this specific demographic are few and far between...
Old 13 October 2014, 15:50   #49

Town: Portsmouth(ish)
Boat name: Wings
Make: Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha F115 AETL
RIBase
Poly - no, the original post was about the way that members treated other members. It generally seems to be sparked off by the type of boat owned, but this isn't the only criteria for disrespect. It also occasionally seems to be shown by some site admins as well as general members, which is disappointing.

But I do find for the most part that the Forum is useful, educating and a fun place to chew the fat with people who have a common ground - but a bit more respect from all would help everyone to enjoy the forum a little more.

(Or dive, or ref rugby, or.......)
Old 13 October 2014, 16:26   #50

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
Quote:

I rest my case ....
I was also thinking that it's often Poly dishing it out. There we go!
Old 13 October 2014, 16:28   #51

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Old 13 October 2014, 16:31   #52
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searider View Post
I was also thinking that it's often Poly dishing it out. There we go!
Only where it's called for.
Old 13 October 2014, 16:53   #53
NSS

I have twice started to write a reply to this thread, and twice decided not to get involved but, like a nagging toothache, sooner or later you just have to do something about it.

Leaving aside the slightly choppy ride I got when I first joined the forum, I too have previously commented about some of the negativity that gets sprayed in the direction of anyone who dares admit that they're considering a RIB that is not specifically built to handle the rough stuff.

Take the recent new member who was comparing Ribcraft and Brig models. The poor guy must have wondered what he'd waded into, and when it later emerged that the RC he was considering was a 'leisure' type layout, that was dissed too. As I said in that thread, perhaps other brands (perhaps even Brig) offer a better leisure offering.

I can of course appreciate that there are RIBs with a far better rough sea pedigree than my own Walker Bay, but I bought it because it was the best fit for my own boating needs and budget. Would I swap it for a go anywhere SR/RC/etc equipped with 2-stroke jockey seats? No, of course not, just as I wouldn't expect a hardcore ribnobber to want to swap their boat for mine. That doesn't make one 'superior' to the other, just different and suited to different needs.

As for Brig, I wonder how many of the 'knockers' have actually tried one, let alone tried to understand that it might just be the best option for some people's needs. And I'm not defending the underhand marketing techniques that have apparently been employed on behalf of the brand (which have surely backfired big-time anyway), but does that justify pouring scorn on every potential Brig buyer who comes to this forum looking for advice? I think not.

This forum is an invaluable resource for technical knowledge, safety tips, and shared experiences, but such 'welcomes' will surely mean some don't return to benefit from that pool of expertise and become better/safer boaters as a result.
Old 13 October 2014, 17:38   #54
Administrator

Any new member who appears to be flag waving for Brig is inevitably going to be treated with suspicion. It's unfortunate but there you go.

In that particular thread advice was sought, and much good advice was given. Ribcraft are a well established and respected make, with good resale values. Brig doesn't have this pedigree and the advice reflected that.

For some reason one Brig owner took this as personal criticism of his choice of boat. This is something I have noticed with certain other makes too, but I'm not sure how we avoid it. If we just pretend that all boats are equally brilliant it's not going to be very helpful!
Old 13 October 2014, 18:29   #55
NSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
Any new member who appears to be flag waving for Brig is inevitably going to be treated with suspicion. It's unfortunate but there you go.

In that particular thread advice was sought, and much good advice was given. Ribcraft are a well established and respected make, with good resale values. Brig doesn't have this pedigree and the advice reflected that.

For some reason one Brig owner took this as personal criticism of his choice of boat. This is something I have noticed with certain other makes too, but I'm not sure how we avoid it. If we just pretend that all boats are equally brilliant it's not going to be very helpful!
I'll grant you, some advice was given, along with a fair bit of ridicule too. Look at your own reply here, "Ribcraft are a well established and respected make, with good resale values. Brig doesn't have this pedigree and the advice reflected that." Maybe not, but maybe their strengths are just measured differently and hence appeal to a different type of user.

Okay the Brig owner went a bit OTT (imho), but if you stand back and ignore the prejudice caused by the "flag wavers" you can possibly understand why he would do. Let's face it, nobody likes to have their pride and joy rubbished constantly.
Old 13 October 2014, 18:32   #56

Town: Bristol
Engine: Yamaha
I think its a very well run forum from the admin guys. loads of late night entertainment from around the UK when the winter nights draw in.
Its a difficult one as you have "Ribcraft" the market leader in Ribs as most people know, being placed against the the lower quality mass produced Mediterranean builds that are ideally not suited to British waters and will always create an entertaining discussion.

I love Osbrigs,
Old 13 October 2014, 18:52   #57

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
The general hostility towards Bligs is not aimed at the owners nor indeed the actual boats themselves. I have never been on one so can't comment on the quality or build. The problem is a purely self inflicted wound by Blig themselves or their paid representatives. By repeatedly spamming the forum in an attempt to gain free publicity, (which they now have in spades ) they destroyed any prospect of their boats ever being seen in a good light.
Karma!

.....sh1t happens.......
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Old 13 October 2014, 19:29   #58

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
A dollop of 'bugger' would sometimes help, rather than the tireless defence of poorly researched purchases.
Old 13 October 2014, 19:46   #59

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt h View Post
I think its a very well run forum from the admin guys. loads of late night entertainment from around the UK when the winter nights draw in.
Its a difficult one as you have "Ribcraft" the market leader in Ribs as most people know, being placed against the the lower quality mass produced Mediterranean builds that are ideally not suited to British waters and will always create an entertaining discussion.

I love Osbrigs,
hmmmmm ............... I'm not gonna start knocking Ribcraft, they're nice ribs, but not sure they're the market leader, I can think of a few others which are as equally good
Old 13 October 2014, 19:49   #60

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Caton View Post
I can think of a few others which are as equally good
Can't we all.

Tags
rib