RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leapy View Post
Doesn't this all suggest the pc is waiting for further info from the RIBnet server?
yes but it doesn't mean that it is the ribnet server that has the problem. it could be a network or security problem between your machine and theirs. either your request for the data isn't reaching rib net or their response isn't reaching you. generally in my experience the rib net servers are pretty good at reporting an actual error when (rarely) there is a probelm rather than just hanging.

its now out of my troubleshooting skills though. Hopefully JK can steer you in the right direction when he gets a change. My only other thought though (to rule out your concern that it is a problem with your u/name profile) would be to try using those settings on a completely different machine/connection e.g. at work, friends etc.
Old 25 September 2008, 05:24   #12
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Unlike your image though I don't get a 'test complete' message; it merely times out and the DOS screen disappears.
that doesn't sound right though. just realised there is no cut and paste in dos windows. so if you can be bothered next time it crashes run

tracert rib.net > C:\ribnet.txt

then when it reboots copy and paste the contents of the file ribnet.txt file from notepad.
Old 25 September 2008, 06:02   #13

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
try using those settings on a completely different machine/connection e.g. at work, friends etc.
Hmmm...All the above relates to my laptop...if I access RIBnet from the kids desktop then all is ok! The desktop OS is XP rather than Vista on the laptop.
Old 25 September 2008, 06:42   #14

Quote:
that doesn't sound right though. just realised there is no cut and paste in dos windows. so if you can be bothered next time it crashes run

tracert rib.net > C:\ribnet.txt

then when it reboots copy and paste the contents of the file ribnet.txt file from notepad.
Tried this...nothing seems to happen other than a very quick flash of a DOS screen comes up. It's so fast, there's no chance of reading it. There's also no resulting text file at C:\ribnet.txt
Old 25 September 2008, 06:46   #15
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Tried this...nothing seems to happen other than a very quick flash of a DOS screen comes up. It's so fast, there's no chance of reading it. There's also no resulting text file at C:\ribnet.txt
ok then suggest you try opening command prompt first then type it. it will then take a minute or two to run as the tracert command usually does. BUT if this is only happening on the Vista machine it is a vista or PC issue. Probably security/firewall, what firewall are you running?

NEIL
Old 25 September 2008, 09:20   #16

Quote:
what firewall are you running?

NEIL
Microsoft Live One Care - it's a firewall/spyware/virus scan/pc maintenance package
Old 25 September 2008, 14:36   #17

Quote:
ok then suggest you try opening command prompt first then type it. it will then take a minute or two to run as the tracert command usually does. NEIL
Neil - All this is new territory for me but I've tried what I think you are asking...at 'Run' I've typed in 'cmd'...that opens the DOS screen in a new window...then typed in as you suggest but all that comes up is 'Access Denied'.

This is now officially 'doing my head in'...the best I can do on RIBnet is to open it, log in, open up 'new posts', maybe look at two or three threads...and then that's it. If it was a security issue wouldn't access be continually denied rather than after a couple of minutes?
Old 25 September 2008, 19:44   #18

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Leapy, are you using Microsoft IE?
Old 26 September 2008, 02:08   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
Leapy, are you using Microsoft IE?
Yep, IE 7 with all the latest versions of Vista Home Premium and everthing else you can think of as the machine is setup to automatically update...

Was surfing around last night (as you do) The issue seems to occur when the laptop tries to load the icons to the left of each thread line...the little mail box symbol that tells you whether there's unread mail and the like. It loads up the thread titles - they become irregularly spaced immediately before the problem starts - and then seems to stutter and stall at the icon graphics. Even when it manages to load them there's some stuttering.

Still got the same problem...I can access about three different threads and then it all grinds to a halt...the page doesn't fully load and any amount of further button pressing doesn't achieve anything. Doing nothing doesn't achieve anything either: it just sits there trying to finish loading the page and saying 'Waiting for RIBnet server'. I'm happy to believe it could be a firewall setting but I don't now which settings to adjust - if that's what needed - to achieve a result. I've looked, but there's nothing obvious to - to me - to change. Adding RIBnet to the 'Safe Senders' list made no difference.

But why does this ONLY happen with RIBnet. I spent ages yesterday trawling around other websites, including other forums, with no problems whatsoever.

Hope my new rib turns out more reliable than this

Thanks for any help you can offer...
Old 26 September 2008, 05:27   #20

Quote:
Hmmm...All the above relates to my laptop...if I access RIBnet from the kids desktop then all is ok! The desktop OS is XP rather than Vista on the laptop.
After giving up with my laptop I decided to stick with the desktop...guess what? This now has the same issue...After reading three or four posts the system just hangs saying 'Waiting for RIBnet...'