Old 13 April 2018, 05:49   #1

Town: puerto vallarta
Boat name: ribjet
Make: NauticaInternational
Length: 3m +
Engine: 80 hp yamaha jet mot
ribjet info

Hi folks, can anyone out there tell me if water is supposed to "pee" from the back portside transom when it is running in the water like it does when you flush the motor when it's on the trailer on my nautica international model 10 ribjet with the 700cc yamaha motor? Also, how do you know when the motor is running hotter than normal ? There is no heat gauge on this unit. thank you in advance for any & all help !
Old 13 April 2018, 07:11   #2

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
not an expert but if when you flush you have water coming out the pee hole [tell tail] that same tell tail will have water coming out when at sea. that water can get quite warm when in use. temp gauge wise not seen any on any of my boats [outboards] but my suzuki goes into safe mode [runs at tick over] if the water inlet gets blocked. others will be along who know more.
Old 13 April 2018, 13:13   #3

Good morning to you & thank you for the reply. would you please explain to me what you mean by "tick over"? Also , are you talking about an outboard motor because my motor is an inboard yamaha jet motor. Thanks again !
Old 13 April 2018, 13:50   #4

RIBase
Tick over is when any engine is running without the throttle being used to increase the engine speed (low RPM )around 850 RPM
Old 13 April 2018, 16:32   #5

Thanks for the explanation about tick over, i had never heard that term before.Does your explanation of the tell tail on your outboard apply to my inboard yamaha jet motor also?
Old 13 April 2018, 18:00   #6

RIBase
https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/uk/produ...turestechspecs

Not sure if you have same engine but these jet skis have water cooled engines which have a visibility spout shooting upward so they can be seen by the driver so yours will be coming out of the transom I would have thought. You would have to read your manual to see if it has the shut down feature
Old 13 April 2018, 22:35   #7

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Yes the tell tale shows you the coolant system is working. Water from jet pump is diverted through a strainer around engine and out of exhaust and a small outlet. There is a T peice that feeds the cooling lines your motor is likely a 701 same as the superjet but modified for boat use (Avon used the same power plant in ribs) the superjet manual of same year should tell you most of what you need. The flush port Is into the T between the pump and motor and tell tale is the output of motor (some also have a thermostat controlling flow out of the head).
Old 14 April 2018, 01:20   #8

That helps alot, Thanks !
Old 21 April 2018, 23:35   #9

Hello & thank you for the info. When i hook up the flush kit & run the motor while it's on the trailer i know that after 20 seconds i should see water coming out or the peehole on the portside transom but i don't so i ran a plastic coated cable inside to the motor & it is clear now so i will hook the flush kit up again & see if it pees but my question is this, when i am looking from the back of the boat to the front,on the left side of the pump there is a black rubber water tube that goes into the impeller housing that keeps the blades cool. ( there is no grate on the side of the housing like is see in the you tube videos ) Should i see water coming out of that hose when it is running on the trailer or just when it's in the water ? Also,where does this black rubber tube go to on the other end ? I ran the plastic coated cable through the black rubber water hose to the front but it stopped at about 2ft & i don't want to force it any further for fear of damaging it. I tried hooking a shop vac with a clean tank to it, but no debris came out. Also, no debris holding the impeller & the vanes look fine. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated !
Old 22 April 2018, 07:14   #10

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickhodapp View Post

when i am looking from the back of the boat to the front,on the left side of the pump there is a black rubber water tube that goes into the impeller housing that keeps the blades cool.!
I'm not familiar with this jet but on the PP Jet this "hose" you describe isn't feeding water to the impeller, it's the feed FROM the high pressure side of the jet that sends the cooling water to the engine. I am presuming that you are talking about the actual jet impeller and not an engine cooling water pump? (The PP jet doesn't have one of those).
Obviously with the boat on the trailer there is no water going through the the jet so this part would have to be isolated in some way with your flushing kit otherwise the tap water would just run out through that hose.
Old 22 April 2018, 08:20   #11

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
The flush is pushing water back through the cooling system so you see water come out where it normally goes in.....

Make sure motor is running before you start water and stop water before stopping motor.........
Old 22 April 2018, 13:36   #12

Good morning & Thanks for taking the time to reply because this helps a great deal. Now that it's been explained to me it makes perfect sense that the water would be pushed through the tube to the engine. I am new to jet boats,don't have a manual,can't get one & the company that built them is no longer available for any info & these boats are non existent here in Puerto Vallarta but this forum has been very helpful.This ribjet doesn't have a engine water pump either. One other question please, I don't have a heat gauge or heat alarm so should i be able to put my hand on the engine or the jet pump housing without burning my hand when it is cooling properly? Thanks again! What is a pp jet that you mentioned ?
Old 22 April 2018, 15:18   #13

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
PP jet......

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=pp...qV6QRHbs2zPUM:

The jet drive is pumping thousand of gallons of water through it. I don't see how it could get hot? An engine is generally just too hot for you to keep your hand on but won't burn you if you just touch it. Not very scientific, but if you flick water onto the cylinder head it shouldn't "sizzle" and there's a distinctive smell from an engine that is overheating (or has been overheated recently).
Old 22 April 2018, 18:01   #14

Good info, thanks !

Tags
rib