Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 15 October 2011, 18:43   #11
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Twin 50 Mariners
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 185
Ah yes, the old "long established members chime in, criticism not allowed here, deal with it by patronising response rather than address the argument" syndrome....

Count to as many as you like chaps, clearly everything the people who run this site (which I quite like by the way) is infallible....

Or grow up and consider listening to what others may be trying to tell you, you never know, you might just learn something.....
__________________

__________________
Smithyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2011, 18:58   #12
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithyyy
Ah yes, the old "long established members chime in, criticism not allowed here, deal with it by patronising response rather than address the argument" syndrome....

Count to as many as you like chaps, clearly everything the people who run this site (which I quite like by the way) is infallible....

Or grow up and consider listening to what others may be trying to tell you, you never know, you might just learn something.....
I actually joined later than you did and paid up to avoid any popups or issues with trade rules after initially floundering them in error. I'm by no means part of any "clicks" and in fact have got myself into the same position as you have with my own ramblings.

I find counting to ten helps....

Since you ask let's address the issues. Problem - you don't like the popups. Solution = subscribe to the site or log in to use it. Simples
__________________

__________________
Boats&Outboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2011, 04:37   #13
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Smithyyy,

As far as I know this feature will appear in any mainstream browser, so nobody is suggesting changing browser. It is not actually a pop-up so won't be blocked by most pop up tools. However it is not shown to any user who is logged in.

The other way to avoid them is by using the Android or iOS apps.

There are a number of other advantages to logging in: ability to hide ads, get rid of the big why not join graphic and if you wish the horrible right hand column recent posts box being just some of them. Probably the main benefit though is the forum remembers what you have been reading so it can highlight just new posts, but it also uses a different icon to mark threads you've previously posted in on the assumption that you might be particularly interested in them.

I assume most members login (or use remember me) to view the forums, and get quickly in to posting replies and ons etc.

Whilst new style ribnet is a bit more in your face American in style than jk had it, the value to users is in the content. The stats suggest a growing userbase since they took over so it can't all be bad. However whilst willk and peter are a bit blunt about the point, whilst the vast majority of users enjoy the site free, then commercial pressures will govern their user experience.

Given that the 'pop up' doesn't actually stop you browsing, doesn't open a new browser window etc, then I don't see it as being that big a nuisance. However, if you have proposals on how the owners monetise the site (its not a charity) then they'd love to hear them.
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2011, 05:56   #14
RIBnet admin team
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,926
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithyyy View Post
How do you stop it? It's driving me nuts. Once or twice wouldn't be so bad but the wretched thing comes up every time I come to the site and it won't go way until you go down and physically close it! Is there another way? Starting to really irritate me about looking at the site at all.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithyyy View Post
...... a site that persists in sending irritating popups is one I'm less likely to feel well disposed towards anyway - and so less likely to join it...... And yes I use Firefox, are you telling me now I have to use a different browser to use ribnet to avoid this crap? The site's really not doing itself any favours....
Moan moan moan! You find an excellent free resource, can't be arsed to log in or support it like everyone else and then go to the bother of whining about it like a 13 year old. Peter and I aren't stopping you criticising the site btw, we're laughing because there's little point in doing anything else.

You were given two useful solutions to your posted problem, yet you continued to moan on.

I wonder why we gave up?
__________________
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2011, 20:38   #15
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Twin 50 Mariners
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 185
Thanks Polwart, nice to get a reasoned and thoughtful reply (by contrast notably to willk's effort which is best just ignored). Don't disagree with anything you say, but nor do I see that raising an issue about the way the site behaves if you choose to access it in a particular way is either that big a sin or contrary to the owners' objectives - in fact if they are truly commercially minded they'll be paying attention to such comments anyway, being sensitive to what people like and don't like (and I wasn't alone in objecting to the popup).

Anyway, I think this has rather been done to death, hasn't it? Have to say, I never expected when I first asked how to get rid of a popup (which seemed a simple enough question, and by the way a quick web search has solved it anyway) to get such a heated response - interesting experience!

Cheers
__________________
Smithyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2011, 02:36   #16
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithyyy View Post
(by contrast notably to willk's effort which is best just ignored).
another advantage of logging in - you can ad him to your ignore list and never have to listen to him again!
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2011, 05:56   #17
Member
 
kerny's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 60
MMSI: 235087492
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 7,040
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
another advantage of logging in - you can ad him to your ignore list and never have to listen to him again!


I do find him quite funny really he should be a showbiz personality
__________________

__________________
kerny is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:39.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.