Old 13 October 2011, 23:22   #1

Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Twin 50 Mariners
"Rib news posted to your email" unsolicited popup

How do you stop it? It's driving me nuts. Once or twice wouldn't be so bad but the wretched thing comes up every time I come to the site and it won't go way until you go down and physically close it! Is there another way? Starting to really irritate me about looking at the site at all.....
Old 13 October 2011, 23:49   #2

Town: NW Surrey
Boat name: Lady Helen
Make: Avon
Length: 3m +
Engine: Out Petrol 3.5 & 15
I don't get this come up. I think you need to disable pop-ups.

Go to the help in your Internet browser (e.g. Chrome, Internet Explorer), search on pop ups and follow the instructions to turn them off. Normally through tools.

Good Luck.
Old 14 October 2011, 08:01   #3

Town: wells
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithyyy View Post
How do you stop it? It's driving me nuts. Once or twice wouldn't be so bad but the wretched thing comes up every time I come to the site and it won't go way until you go down and physically close it! Is there another way? Starting to really irritate me about looking at the site at all.....
Seconded! I use Firefox and have pop ups disabled, I think it is a script they have added and yes it is a right PITA!
Old 14 October 2011, 12:30   #4
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
I made it go away, cost me £20 though....

Cough up for a Membership, tightwads!
Old 14 October 2011, 19:05   #5
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk
I made it go away, cost me £20 though....

Cough up for a Membership, tightwads!
Apparently, you don't even need to pay simply logging in will remove the message.
Old 14 October 2011, 19:18   #6
RIBnet Supporter

Wheest would ye! There's plenty more advantages for them too, if they unscrew their wallets...
Old 15 October 2011, 17:25   #7

I'm sure there are and I might start to consider it but even then I'm not going to want to actually log in everytime I want to browse the forums. And in fact, a site that persists in sending irritating popups is one I'm less likely to feel well disposed towards anyway - and so less likely to join it.

BTW I do have a popup blocker but this thing appears anyway. And yes I use Firefox, are you telling me now I have to use a different browser to use ribnet to avoid this crap? The site's really not doing itself any favours....
Old 15 October 2011, 18:03   #8

Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithyyy
I'm sure there are and I might start to consider it but even then I'm not going to want to actually log in everytime I want to browse the forums. And in fact, a site that persists in sending irritating popups is one I'm less likely to feel well disposed towards anyway - and so less likely to join it.

BTW I do have a popup blocker but this thing appears anyway. And yes I use Firefox, are you telling me now I have to use a different browser to use ribnet to avoid this crap? The site's really not doing itself any favours....
Edit

I think I'll count to 10
Old 15 October 2011, 18:04   #9
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats&Outboards View Post
I think I'll count to 10
I got to 37 and decided not to bother.
Old 15 October 2011, 18:26   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk

I got to 37 and decided not to bother.
You did better than me. I posted something containing "long off pier walk short" but not in that order which would resolve the popups at least before deciding to take the 5th on the subject !!!

Peter ~ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Old 15 October 2011, 22:43   #11

Ah yes, the old "long established members chime in, criticism not allowed here, deal with it by patronising response rather than address the argument" syndrome....

Count to as many as you like chaps, clearly everything the people who run this site (which I quite like by the way) is infallible....

Or grow up and consider listening to what others may be trying to tell you, you never know, you might just learn something.....
Old 15 October 2011, 22:58   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithyyy
Ah yes, the old "long established members chime in, criticism not allowed here, deal with it by patronising response rather than address the argument" syndrome....

Count to as many as you like chaps, clearly everything the people who run this site (which I quite like by the way) is infallible....

Or grow up and consider listening to what others may be trying to tell you, you never know, you might just learn something.....
I actually joined later than you did and paid up to avoid any popups or issues with trade rules after initially floundering them in error. I'm by no means part of any "clicks" and in fact have got myself into the same position as you have with my own ramblings.

I find counting to ten helps....

Since you ask let's address the issues. Problem - you don't like the popups. Solution = subscribe to the site or log in to use it. Simples
Old 16 October 2011, 08:37   #13
RIBnet admin team

Smithyyy,

As far as I know this feature will appear in any mainstream browser, so nobody is suggesting changing browser. It is not actually a pop-up so won't be blocked by most pop up tools. However it is not shown to any user who is logged in.

The other way to avoid them is by using the Android or iOS apps.

There are a number of other advantages to logging in: ability to hide ads, get rid of the big why not join graphic and if you wish the horrible right hand column recent posts box being just some of them. Probably the main benefit though is the forum remembers what you have been reading so it can highlight just new posts, but it also uses a different icon to mark threads you've previously posted in on the assumption that you might be particularly interested in them.

I assume most members login (or use remember me) to view the forums, and get quickly in to posting replies and ons etc.

Whilst new style ribnet is a bit more in your face American in style than jk had it, the value to users is in the content. The stats suggest a growing userbase since they took over so it can't all be bad. However whilst willk and peter are a bit blunt about the point, whilst the vast majority of users enjoy the site free, then commercial pressures will govern their user experience.

Given that the 'pop up' doesn't actually stop you browsing, doesn't open a new browser window etc, then I don't see it as being that big a nuisance. However, if you have proposals on how the owners monetise the site (its not a charity) then they'd love to hear them.
Old 16 October 2011, 09:56   #14
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Quote:
...... a site that persists in sending irritating popups is one I'm less likely to feel well disposed towards anyway - and so less likely to join it...... And yes I use Firefox, are you telling me now I have to use a different browser to use ribnet to avoid this crap? The site's really not doing itself any favours....
Moan moan moan! You find an excellent free resource, can't be arsed to log in or support it like everyone else and then go to the bother of whining about it like a 13 year old. Peter and I aren't stopping you criticising the site btw, we're laughing because there's little point in doing anything else.

You were given two useful solutions to your posted problem, yet you continued to moan on.

I wonder why we gave up?
Old 18 October 2011, 00:38   #15

Thanks Polwart, nice to get a reasoned and thoughtful reply (by contrast notably to willk's effort which is best just ignored). Don't disagree with anything you say, but nor do I see that raising an issue about the way the site behaves if you choose to access it in a particular way is either that big a sin or contrary to the owners' objectives - in fact if they are truly commercially minded they'll be paying attention to such comments anyway, being sensitive to what people like and don't like (and I wasn't alone in objecting to the popup).

Anyway, I think this has rather been done to death, hasn't it? Have to say, I never expected when I first asked how to get rid of a popup (which seemed a simple enough question, and by the way a quick web search has solved it anyway) to get such a heated response - interesting experience!

Cheers
Old 18 October 2011, 06:36   #16
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
(by contrast notably to willk's effort which is best just ignored).
another advantage of logging in - you can ad him to your ignore list and never have to listen to him again!
Old 19 October 2011, 09:56   #17

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
another advantage of logging in - you can ad him to your ignore list and never have to listen to him again!

I do find him quite funny really he should be a showbiz personality