Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 12 June 2011, 20:15   #71
Member
 
Country: Other
Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 3,688
I'm using Firefox 4, I logged out at one point to see if it would fix the problem when I couldn't reply but no auto-logouts at all.
__________________

__________________
A Boat is a hole in the water, surrounded by fibreglass, into which you throw money...

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2011, 04:58   #72
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Winchester
Boat name: Raven
Make: Westerly 33/Avon 310
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercedes 42 Toh9.8
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
Happened to me when site was updated but deleting history and cookies sorted it.

Regarding the forums changes - as I posted earlier I really think it's no big deal. Seen arguments like this on so many different forums down the years. But forums are like pubs - people come and go, management changes, the odd lick of paint annoys a few old 'bar stool regulars' but life goes on and this is the best and friendliest place on the web to discuss rubbery boats. So a big thanks to all those behind the scenes for creating and continuing this site.
I am with you there 100%
__________________

__________________
Ribtecer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2011, 15:53   #73
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy View Post
What was wrong with the old setup?
I think John has answered that - but there were some technical issues which meant an upgrade of some sort was inevitable - and had been proposed behind the scenes before the site ownership changed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
I dont logon everytime I look at the site so the 'option' to unselect hings is not for me - I dont want to select to opt out ..I want to select to opt in ...
One extra step of logging in (if you don't use "remember me") and everything can be almost how you remembered it. The reality is the site needs revenue (to cover running costs - as well as for the owners to recoup their investment) - which inevitably means (1) more adverts, (2) more incentive to register and sign in (3) some encouragement to become a supporter. If you have an alternative business model which doesn't need these things then I'm sure Andy would love to hear about it - as Ad and subscription supported sites are rarely a road to riches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
A little while ago I was all set to migrate to IPB instead of vBulletin. Just think how much fun that would have been!
I saw a sneek preview of that site - and its "appearance" was remarkably similar to what we have now (when logged in).

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotchiguy View Post
and on threads the new header still takes up at least 2x the amount the old one did.
I've just measured and its less than 1.5x the size but don't let that get in the way of your exaggeration!
Quote:
Renders the supporter subscription rather worthless
John was always clear that supporters weren't buying avatars... however supporters are still being "rewarded" - bigger avatars, more PM space, no embedded google ads in things they write when viewed by guests, and the ability to avoid adverts (although this privilidge will also exist for old members even if not supporters) *note this is all my understanding of the current situation and may be wrong or subject to change.

Quote:
It is one of the clearest signs that ribnet is loosing its way. As kitten says, "facebooky". And gimicky. Certainly not ribnet has been in the past.
really just ignore the features and use the forum stuff like everyone else - its hardly intrusive. Or are you just upset you've no friends?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotchiguy View Post
Possibly a consultation with the masses would have provided a good basis for knowing what to change and what not to. There are a number of new things which I think are really good: eg. the rotating album pictures.
I personally don't like the album pictures, so in your dillusions of democracy would that get eliminated?
Quote:
There are unfortunately a number of other things which are significant regressions: eg. ...multiquote...
I'll confess to having sneaked than in when JK was away at the toilet! The button must occupy less than 1% of your screen space. Encouraging people to multiquote (selectively) potentially means less scrolling - as otherwise I might reply to each poster separately. The irony that your own post contained half a dozen quotes has not been missed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by martini View Post
I've got mine set up so it's almost exactly the same as it was, just a couple extra buttons and a different colour.
As have I. I've been away for a weekend and when I logged in today everything seemed normal rather than "new"...
__________________
Poly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2011, 17:14   #74
RIBnet supporter
 
jambo's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5,787
RIBase
It really seems to be all over the place!! I never had ads before tonight I have come on! I have tried all the fixes but I am still being timed-out, not on. I can only speak frorm experience and I am no happy it has changed and nobody seems to care thasts what annoys me, where are the fixes to bring it back to what we were enjoying bedfore all the frills. I just want to log on and stay on with no ads. Pleases JK help.
J
__________________
jambo
'Carpe Diem'
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2011, 17:30   #75
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
It really seems to be all over the place!! I never had ads before tonight I have come on! I have tried all the fixes but I am still being timed-out, not on. I can only speak frorm experience and I am no happy it has changed and nobody seems to care thasts what annoys me, where are the fixes to bring it back to what we were enjoying bedfore all the frills. I just want to log on and stay on with no ads. Pleases JK help.
J
Billy, I'm guessing you are referring to the banner ad. I might be wrong but I think it is a setting that is wrong behind the scenes. Ideally this would all have been ironed out before the upgrade but then things might have been more cast in stone - whereas this way at least there is the chance for tweaks and improvements. It has been flagged up to those in charge.

The timeout fault is under investigation - but it seems is only affecting internet explorer users (my experience of such bugs is that usually Microsoft have reinterpreted the official standards in someway and therefore whilst it needs fixing its wrong to blame the developers). I'm sure a fix will come, but bear in mind that whilst the "team" is now much bigger than when it was just JK it is still a small team looking after lots of sites - Ribnet just isn't big enough to have full time technical support!

As for the "speed" issues it is not entirely clear why some people are experiencing this and not others (e.g. neither at home or in the office have I seen a significant change) - but the technical team are aware of the issue.
__________________
Poly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2011, 17:34   #76
RIBnet supporter
 
jambo's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5,787
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Billy, I'm guessing you are referring to the banner ad. I might be wrong but I think it is a setting that is wrong behind the scenes. Ideally this would all have been ironed out before the upgrade but then things might have been more cast in stone - whereas this way at least there is the chance for tweaks and improvements. It has been flagged up to those in charge.

The timeout fault is under investigation - but it seems is only affecting internet explorer users (my experience of such bugs is that usually Microsoft have reinterpreted the official standards in someway and therefore whilst it needs fixing its wrong to blame the developers). I'm sure a fix will come, but bear in mind that whilst the "team" is now much bigger than when it was just JK it is still a small team looking after lots of sites - Ribnet just isn't big enough to have full time technical support!

As for the "speed" issues it is not entirely clear why some people are experiencing this and not others (e.g. neither at home or in the office have I seen a significant change) - but the technical team are aware of the issue.
Tx neil for yopur quich reply appreciated. I will await quitely for the fixes as I really want to enjoy..
Billy
__________________
jambo
'Carpe Diem'
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2011, 17:35   #77
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: midlands
Boat name: robeena
Make: honwave
Length: 4m +
Engine: twatsu 40
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 172
Quote:
The timeout fault is under investigation - but it seems is only affecting internet explorer users
Mines fine on firefox.
TIMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2011, 17:36   #78
Member
 
kerny's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 60
MMSI: 235087492
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 7,040
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
I have deleted all my cookies and browsing history and re booted my p.c. and have started to use google chrome and everything is now working fine. I used to use explorer but my son said its crap and to use chrome, and he was right. All okay now
__________________
kerny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2011, 17:44   #79
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerny View Post
I have deleted all my cookies and browsing history and re booted my p.c. and have started to use google chrome and everything is now working fine. I used to use explorer but my son said its crap and to use chrome, and he was right. All okay now
Your son is wise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
Tx neil for yopur quich reply appreciated. I will await quitely for the fixes as I really want to enjoy..
Billy
Billy - We will get there in the end - but in the meantime you could follow Kerny's example and switch browser, I'd be surprised if you choose to go back to IE after using Chrome for a few days.
__________________
Poly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2011, 17:52   #80
Member
 
kerny's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 60
MMSI: 235087492
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 7,040
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Your son is wise!



Billy - We will get there in the end - but in the meantime you could follow Kerny's example and switch browser, I'd be surprised if you choose to go back to IE after using Chrome for a few days.
I know he gets it from me
__________________

__________________
kerny is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:57.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.