Old 28 October 2018, 18:15   #1

Town: Peterborough
Make: Honwave T38
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki 6hp
Photo's in older posts - Just a blue square ??

Hi All,

Does anyone know if the photo's in older posts get archived/deleted after a while?.
When I'm browsing around older posts, all the photo's I'd like to look at seem to be missing and all I see is a blue square with a question mark in it
Old 28 October 2018, 18:20   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
How old I wonder? I've just checked back to posts of mine from over 7yrs ago and the images are still there. Could it be the missing ones are folks who've used photo sharing websites? I always upload mine to this site so they appear as clickable thumbnails.
Old 28 October 2018, 18:38   #3

Mmm..yep thanks. I too can see all your old photo's. So maybe it's just posts from 'The Gurnard' then. Can you see any of his, even from 2016?.
I was trying to find an image of that reversed outboard carrying sack truck we mentioned when we last met. ;-)
Old 28 October 2018, 19:15   #4

Oh yes I see... or rather I don't. Just looked at a SIB trip thread from late 2014 and all of The Gurnard's images are missing.
Old 28 October 2018, 19:53   #5

Yeah,.. shame. OK. Thanks for checking.
Old 28 October 2018, 20:30   #6
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
We don’t have a policy of deleting/archiving pics. If they were Photobox ones then their monetisation policy changed and screwed up a lot - I don’t recall the Gurnard using them though - can anyone send me a link? And I’ll investigate...
Old 28 October 2018, 20:32   #7
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
IIRC, one of the big "file sharing" sites stopped "sharing" files - Dropbox I think - go figure! All those threads are worthless without photos...
Old 29 October 2018, 12:39   #8

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteG View Post
Hi All,

Does anyone know if the photo's in older posts get archived/deleted after a while?.
When I'm browsing around older posts, all the photo's I'd like to look at seem to be missing and all I see is a blue square with a question mark in it
peter a recent thread by bigplumbs i think it was i asked gurnard to post a pic of his barrow for him, failing that send him a PM mate he will sort you out
Old 29 October 2018, 15:41   #9

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Yup.. IMO image hosting sites that advertised “we will never delete your photos..they will always be here”. ..well ... they all disappear eventually.

First to break their promise was “”imageshack.us” I used it frequently from 2005 as it was one of the biggest free hosts ..it disappeared around 2012 ? although I see it has reappeared again but wants money to host photos nowadays.

Photobucket stopped its free service around two years ago ..they now want money

I also used “Postimage” for the later years but it too disappeared although I see it has returned again. This photo is now hosted there but dont expect it to last forever ..nothing ever does on the internet.

Its the reason I moved to video and seldom post photos now .. thinking that You Tube would last longer but I have found that a few of my videos have also disappeared recently after being allowed for a couple of years .. (when music in the videos that was once allowed became prohibited again). In fact if ”Runrig” change their music policy..there will be few videos left on Ribnet.. such is life on the internet .

I expect one day Ribnet may disappear too .. in fact ...we all expire ... eventually.

I remember days when Willk was a moderator here but All Things Must Pass ..some for the better and some for the worse.
Old 29 October 2018, 16:21   #10

Thanks for putting that image up... I'd remembered it but had no idea where to find it.

PeteG was chatting to me a few days back and having just bought a van giving OB travel flexibility he described the sack truck arrangement he was planning for his 20hp which sounded much like yours I'd remembered.

One thought... I wonder why folks don't upload their images to this site as I do... then they will remain as long as the site does... I assume. Is it folks prefer the forum width image from a hosting site rather than a clickable thumbnail?
Old 29 October 2018, 17:17   #11

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post

One thought... I wonder why folks don't upload their images to this site as I do... then they will remain as long as the site does... I assume. Is it folks prefer the forum width image from a hosting site rather than a clickable thumbnail?
I can only speak for myself Fenlander ..but I have various reason I preferred using external hosts.

1) I was quite prolific posting my tales on the internet.. so it was easy writing it out in MS word.. including the links to the host site.. then it was a simple matter to copy and paste into all the various blogs and forums I used. It would have taken forever to upload to every forum or blog. Ribnet was not the only place I told stories on. I will say that IMO Its now about the only decent boat forum left though if you ignore the bitching

I have a lot of my stories and photos still on my blog at ..and I also keep all my photos and videos on disk at home.

Inflatable Boat Journeys From Scotland

2) I wanted to be in control of my photos..in that I could remove or change them if required. Several times I found other sites using my images to promote their business and make money without my consent.

An example is this boat maker who has my permission to use my photos (The red boat is my old boat and photos in Loch Fyne and also off Port Appin) I happily gave permission as he asked and Im delighted he wanted them. I sent him high resolution ones so he can print large posters too ..all free because he asked permission

https://www.highlanderboats.co.uk/fa...isherman-boat/

However this ”Author” stole quotes and photos from my blog to help sell her book. She did not ask and as such I use every opportunity I can to tell the world about her.( I have mentioned her already on this forum) The photos of the landscapes are mine. Unfortunately she copied them from the photo host site.. If she had not.. I would have changed the photos to images “Stolen From the Gurnard” or something appropriate like a nekkid man . I have done that with several other folks who thought it ok to use my work pretending it was theirs.

https://reginajeffers.blog/2016/07/0...-old-grey-man/

I have other reason too ..but these two are the main ones. Im sure you can understand now why I didn’t upload direct to this site. My photos and stories served their purpose and were enjoyed at the time .. that was the idea..so it was not a waste IMO
Old 29 October 2018, 17:37   #12
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
I remember days when Willk was a moderator here but All Things Must Pass
...and before me there was Louise, Smacker of Heads.

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose"
Old 29 October 2018, 19:30   #13

Blimey. Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply. I didn’t want to start something lengthy or inconvenience anyone. So the mystery of the photo’s and the trolley are now both solved.
The van arrives this weekend meaning I can now start adapting a trolley and ‘cradle’ to roll-on/off the van and roll-on/off the transom too, (remains vertical for in-transit) whilst ensuring any tilt applied is in an approved direction. Cheers all :-))
Old 29 October 2018, 21:11   #14

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
I used to use a free site called photobucket for storing and uploading my images onto forums. Suddenly they decided they wanted around $450 per year to host images, most of us refused to pay meaning any previous uploads onto forums became a blue blank box where the images had been.