Old 21 March 2011, 16:49   #1
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
New Android App

I have the new Ribnet android app on my phone. I'm pretty new to this smart phone business (my last phone could just about take a picture so long as you didn't want to recognise the subject!).

I can view threads, see the pictures - even read someone's profile - but how do I post? I've not been asked to login so I guess this is the first step...
Old 21 March 2011, 17:41   #2

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
I have the new Ribnet android app on my phone. I'm pretty new to this smart phone business (my last phone could just about take a picture so long as you didn't want to recognise the subject!).

I can view threads, see the pictures - even read someone's profile - but how do I post? I've not been asked to login so I guess this is the first step...
Why don't you just log on via internet same as your puter like wot I'm doing now to reply to your post? Easy.
Old 21 March 2011, 19:25   #3
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]Why don't you just log on via internet same as your puter like wot I'm doing now to reply to your post? Easy.
Because:
1. Other people tell me uploading pictures from a phone is tricky/impossible (or is that just those iPhones?).
2. I assume the intention was that you could post as well as read - so either there is a bug or some part of the user interface is not that intuitive
3. Because the layout has been specifically designed for viewing on a small screen which makes it easier than all the sliding about / zooming in/out required for a full size internet page.
4. I've just got a Smartphone because society made me feel inferior without one, I therefore need to get all possible apps on said smartphone, without which my life will be incomplete!
Old 21 March 2011, 23:37   #4

Quote:
Because:
1. Other people tell me uploading pictures from a phone is tricky/impossible (or is that just those iPhones?).
Well my iPhone couldn't do it, Apple are control freaks imho. I've just tried it on my Android phone and it went through all the motions and found my picture gallery auto magically but I'm in Yorks hills just now with a week gsm signal so the upload timed out. Will confirm when I get home. Remind me to check.
Quote:
2. I assume the intention was that you could post as well as read - so either there is a bug or some part of the user interface is not that intuitive
I can't see how to post either.
Quote:
3. Because the layout has been specifically designed for viewing on a small screen which makes it easier than all the sliding about / zooming in/out required for a full size internet page.
Well, I dunno about your phone but mine resizes and formats text to the screen size you choose so that it doesn't need to be constantly zoomed and slid like an iPhone.
Quote:
4. I've just got a Smartphone because society made me feel inferior without one, I therefore need to get all possible apps on said smartphone, without which my life will be incomplete!
You were incomplete without one! Hehe. The more apps you have running the more battery you will use and also the more communication your phone is making with the outside world the more battery you'll be using. So, its worth switching off unnecessary tx/rx events such as constantly looking for emails, gps signal, auto updates etc. and an essential app to auto switch off all unnecessary running apps is: Fastest Task Killer. Don't worry, they restart the moment you tap them to use them.
Old 23 March 2011, 16:16   #5
RIBnet admin team

Ah ha, our new leader has now provided guidance on logging in via android. See below:

Quote:
Andy Staple (our graphics designer) has an Android and I asked him to send me a step by step on how to post with the Android app. Here what he sent me:

1.) If you're not logged in, at the main screen that displays the Forum Categories hit your options button on your android phone to bring up the options panel. Select "Login" and insert your username and password.
2.) Once logged in you'll be back at the main screen that displays the forum categories. Select any category you'd like to enter to view that categories forums.
3.) Select a forum from the list on the screen and then you should see a list of the most recent threads within that forum.
4.) To start a new thread, hit your options button to bring up the option panel again, and select "New Thread".
5.) If you'd like to respond to a current thread simply open the thread and then use the option button on your android phone to pull up the options again. From there select "Reply".
6.) The reply screen is simply a very large text box that you can then enter your post.

and thats it, you're now up and running with your Android App. You can also explore other options and additional functionality via the options button on just about any page within the app.
What Andy refers to as the "Options Button" is called "menu" on my HTC.

To post a picture direct from the camera reply (or start new thread) then "Add Attachment" - you'll get an option to use the camera.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20110323_161625.png
Views:	225
Size:	260.9 KB
ID:	57838  
Old 27 March 2011, 11:58   #6

Android picture post test.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0100-1.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	57915  
Old 27 March 2011, 12:10   #7

Right, just gone through the normal process of posting a picture from Android phone. It worked fine just as it works from my computer. Went back to edit, removed picture and uploaded an alternative one and it all happened sweetly.
Oops, a sideways pic, shoulda chosen different one. I'll try another just incase it was rotated.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0281.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	57916  
Old 27 March 2011, 12:12   #8

Seems fine. Android rules KO.
Old 28 March 2011, 20:25   #9

Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
I'm getting problems uploading posts using the ipad since I edited my settings on my desktop ???

Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ Email ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com
Old 29 March 2011, 07:49   #10

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
Right, just gone through the normal process of posting a picture from Android phone. It worked fine just as it works from my computer. Went back to edit, removed picture and uploaded an alternative one and it all happened sweetly.
Oops, a sideways pic, shoulda chosen different one. I'll try another just incase it was rotated.
Oban end of the Caledonian?
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2011, 09:54   #11

Yup, Corpach and Ben Nevis.
Old 29 March 2011, 14:51   #12
RIBnet admin team

Problem with PMs on the Android App

I just tried to reply to a PM using the android app (which is otherwise working very well ). I get the following error:

Quote:
the remote server send an unparsable result. This could be a result of the forum software plugin being outdated
I will draw Andy's attention to this thread, but perhaps someone else using Android can confirm this bug?

thanks,
Old 29 March 2011, 15:06   #13
Administrator

Town: Florianopolis, Brazil
Boat name: TBD
Length: no boat
Quote:
I get the following error...
This is due to a new version of the app being rolled out and we need to install the new version of the product here on the backend. We will get the item upgrade ASAP and post back here when done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwpxd16 View Post
I'm getting problems uploading posts using the ipad since I edited my settings on my desktop ???
Can you describe your issue in more detail?
Old 06 April 2011, 20:34   #14

Town: Northumberland
Boat name: Dr Doof
Make: Humber
Engine: Mercury 125hp
MMSI: 235082981
Is the RIBnet app available for blackberry?

Tried searching but can't find anything that works.
Old 07 April 2011, 05:07   #15
Administrator

Town: Pacific NW, USA
Length: under 3m
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Doof View Post
Is the RIBnet app available for blackberry?

Tried searching but can't find anything that works.
Not currently but we are hopeful that this will be in the future.
Old 07 April 2011, 09:40   #16

Town: Northumberland
Boat name: Dr Doof
Make: Humber
Engine: Mercury 125hp
MMSI: 235082981
Thanks.