Old 10 August 2018, 16:38   #21

Town: penzance
Boat name: not named
Make: ski boat
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 HPDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
Surely the bitching and disagreements make the forum more interesting?
It would be a boring place if everyone was all sweetness and apple pie perfect.
We can all say the wrong thing or rub people up the wrong way sometimes by accident sometimes intentionally but we're all big boys and get over it.
Even pub debates sometimes deteriorate into arguments but who cares you cant please all the folk all of the time.
I've not followed the thread.
I've got into a couple of spats on a totally unrelated forum. People say things they'd never say face to face. I found myself checking several times per day to see how I was faring in what was, looking back, a trivial argument. I learned from that & now avoid getting dragged down into a futile vortex of vitriol.
These things really shouldn't matter, but I can understand how it can consume someone.
Old 10 August 2018, 17:50   #22

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonl View Post
I've not followed the thread.

I've got into a couple of spats on a totally unrelated forum. People say things they'd never say face to face. I found myself checking several times per day to see how I was faring in what was, looking back, a trivial argument. I learned from that & now avoid getting dragged down into a futile vortex of vitriol.

These things really shouldn't matter, but I can understand how it can consume someone.

Yup, totally agree. I'm very careful not to get abusive (the temptation is sometimes overwhelming though) & am quite happy to walk away. As soon as it gets beyond a bit of piss taking & bubble bursting, it's no fun. I've got better things to occupy my "worry time, than internet numpties" I also find it quite amusing when people get their thongs up their crack about some of the stuff I come out with. Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive[emoji6]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2018, 18:15   #23

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
I wouldn’t read too much into it - Callum tried to leave before, hasn’t owned a RIB for a few years, and wasn’t even participating in the thread that triggered his dramatic exit.
I didn't think current ownership of a rib was a pre-requisite as a measure of validity of peoples opinions and I'd think what he has is as close to a Rib as a "Fun Yak".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
As a wee reminder though - there are some fairly common sense guidelines on behaviour and if people think they are being flouted they should use the report post option (as the admin team don’t read every post).

Giving you the benefit of the doubt, I suspect you have no idea what this is actually about and I would think a public forum is not the best place for it's pursuance.
Old 10 August 2018, 18:21   #24

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Tango View Post
I didn't think current ownership of a rib was a pre-requisite as a measure of validity of peoples opinions and I'd think what he has is as close to a Rib as a "Fun Yak".

Giving you the benefit of the doubt, I suspect you have no idea what this is actually about and I would think a public forum is not the best place for it's pursuance.

But Poly wasn't the one to make it a public issue. The best way of keeping something quiet is to discretely slip away. Not throw the teddy out of the pram & thqweeem and thqweem until everyone sits up & takes notice.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2018, 18:27   #25
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Tango View Post
I didn't think current ownership of a rib was a pre-requisite as a measure of validity of peoples opinions
its not. I’m not sure how you read into what I wrote that his opinion was not valid - he’s perfectly free to return; but perhaps the benefit he was getting from being part of the forum was no longer as valued as he didn’t own a rib. Still since you seem to be better informed you’ll have your own opinion.

Quote:
The great thing about the “report post” function is it isn’t public so people can highlight and resolve issues privately. Or of course they can publicly make a song and dance about it.
Old 10 August 2018, 18:34   #26

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
But Poly wasn't the one to make it a public issue. The best way of keeping something quiet is to discretely slip away. ....
These things are relative, and that's kind of what he did.
There's a point where you have to decide whether to "let the genie out of the bottle" or walk away and he chose to walk away because of the potential ramifications of pulling the cork.