Old 21 August 2015, 05:43   #81
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Good morning wiLlfish, long time no see.

For anyone who hasn't met the wiLlfish, I'd like to introduce you to our very own voice of tolerance and wisdom. He hasn't had much to say recently, but it a legend in his own lunchtime.
Old 21 August 2015, 06:18   #82
Administrator

Improving RIBnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Pig View Post
We have a Murdoch regime it seems
No, it's a very benevolent and tolerant regime actually.

What powers do you feel that the moderators have over you? Do you feel these powers are being abused? If so, how?
Old 21 August 2015, 06:59   #83

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiLlfish View Post
dats cuz yoov gott a irysh gitt, a scotch gitt an a inglish gitt.

too much fukin deevolooshun.

cud be werse

wee cud av ad a welch gitt
morning wiLlfish

wouldn't the welch gitt make the rest if us look good though
Old 21 August 2015, 07:21   #84

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Where the fook have you been wiLlfish?

Forget all this rollocks about cliques, Stalinist mods and rival groups, wiLlfish is what the forum has been missing.
Old 21 August 2015, 07:55   #85
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
How about permitting attachments to PM's?
You can't at the moment and I find that asking a person for his private e-mail and then sending him the attachment, somewhat of a pain.

"Ribbing-the most expensive way of travelling third class"
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2015, 08:51   #86
Administrator

I don't think that's a standard feature of this forum software, so may not be as simple as it sounds. I'll pass on the request though.
Old 21 August 2015, 10:35   #87
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
I don't think that's a standard feature of this forum software, so may not be as simple as it sounds. I'll pass on the request though.
its not - Brian I know exactly what you mean - a reasonable solution is to stick the attachment on Dropbox (or similar free cloud sharing facility) and provide a link to that.
Old 21 August 2015, 11:53   #88

Town: Salcombe
Boat name: The Black Pig
Make: Ranieri
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60c hp tohatsu
MMSI: 235038018
Send a message via AIM to The Black Pig
Quote:
No, it's a very benevolent and tolerant regime actually.

What powers do you feel that the moderators have over you? Do you feel these powers are being abused? If so, how?

A few of my posts have been pulled, they were direct links from the bbc news web page, what is good for the goose is good for the gander or maybe not

My choice of words have been doctored neither have been offensive or swear words

My Placement of posts have been challenged ( mods seem to post where they want on whatever subject )
Old 21 August 2015, 12:11   #89
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
A few of my posts have been pulled, they were direct links from the bbc news web page, what is good for the goose is good for the gander or maybe not

My choice of words have been doctored neither have been offensive or swear words

My Placement of posts have been challenged ( mods seem to post where they want on whatever subject )
I'll raise a hand and say I've removed and moved some of your posts. I don't have to do it often, so you're one of a very small group. I explained to you then why I removed your post (I don't often explain!) and we still have it safe in the back office. I look at it occasionally but I still don't think it's suitable viewing for a "family" forum. Obviously you disagree, but I guess if JK wanted a forum littered with buxom blonde ladies in tight animal print tops whispering sweet nothings then he'd have made you a Mod and left me in the Bilges where I was previously

If your wording needs changed, then same as that.

Learning to post in the appropriate forum seems to come more slowly to certain members. Someone posted a Cruise Discussion in RIBs for Sale just a day or two ago. Members can't reply in that forum, so it needed moved. If someone posts non-ribby stuff in "RIBs & RIBbig" then it will get moved. I can't remember why I/we moved your posts/threads - but I'll bet it had something to do with it not matching the subject of the forum you posted it in!
Old 21 August 2015, 12:25   #90
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Oi my daughter is ginger/ strawberry blonde
Sorry Daddy...

Ello gArF, you been untied temporarily?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2015, 13:48   #91

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
It seems fine as is.

We should sticky more useful info? I feel like I'm beating a dead horse for rehashing the same info for FC470s and regluing stuff.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2015, 13:57   #92

Town: Birmingham
Boat name: Sparrowhawk
Make: Osprey
Engine: Yamaha 90hp 2T
I would just like a project section so easier to find them. That's where my main reason for visiting the forum is
Old 21 August 2015, 14:02   #93
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by office888 View Post
We should sticky more useful info? I feel like I'm beating a dead horse for rehashing the same info for FC470s and regluing stuff.
I know what you mean, but I'm not sure that sticking threads is the best way. In my experience the more sticky threads there are the less the get read.

I did start a FAQ section ages ago but it rather stalled. Maybe we ought to have another look at that. Perhaps there's someone out there who'd take on the role of FAQ editor.
Old 21 August 2015, 14:07   #94
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1eyedjim View Post
I would just like a project section so easier to find them. That's where my main reason for visiting the forum is

I've been pondering that for a while actually, but there's such a massive overlap with other areas (design, repairs, engines, electronics) that I'm not convinced that it's a separate enough subject to have its own forum. Maybe encouraging people to make better use of tagging threads with keywords would be helpful?
Old 21 August 2015, 14:34   #95

Quote:
I've been pondering that for a while actually, but there's such a massive overlap with other areas (design, repairs, engines, electronics) that I'm not convinced that it's a separate enough subject to have its own forum. Maybe encouraging people to make better use of tagging threads with keywords would be helpful?

Could you not have a project section with subsections you listed above. I used to post on a Jetski forum and they had a project section and was great as could click on here and have a great read. On here it all seems in the ribbing section and ends up next to general chat.

If I need to find a project o find it easier to go to google and search rib net that way. I did it the other day looking for the Macmillan project and couldn't find it easily searching the app so had to google it.

I may have been doing something wrong but that's how I find it best for me
Old 21 August 2015, 15:15   #96
Administrator

Improving RIBnet

Quote:
Could you not have a project section with subsections you listed above. I used to post on a Jetski forum and they had a project section and was great as could click on here and have a great read. On here it all seems in the ribbing section and ends up next to general chat.
The problem as I see it is that the average build thread may include all of these subjects and more, so aren't easily categorised. Having some posts on a subject in the main section and some in a projects section would end up making it harder to find information (although easier to find build threads to read).

What would qualify as a "project"? Does it include cleaning tubes or minor GRP repairs? Would fitting an A-frame or new electronics be a project? Or are you just thinking of more ambitious "build" threads?

Would a "Maintenance, repairs and rebuilds" section be helpful?

It would need to be unambiguous enough for people to easily know where to post and for mods not to need to keep moving things because they have been posted in the wrong place.

Quote:
If I need to find a project o find it easier to go to google and search rib net that way. I did it the other day looking for the Macmillan project and couldn't find it easily searching the app so had to google it.

I may have been doing something wrong but that's how I find it best for me
I just tried it using the unbranded version of Tapatalk (because that's what I have on my phone at the moment) and it worked fine. I selected search, then chose the RIBs and ribbing forum and searched for Macmillan. The main build thread was seventh in the list. What happens when you try?
Old 21 August 2015, 20:53   #97

I get what you mean about what is a project and what isn't. To me it would be something more than fitting ancillaries and more like a major renovation or structural repair. I agree if it classed everything then would be the same as current but spread over more places.

If something was able to be done around this without making it a nightmare for mods then it's the only thing I would change about the forum and that's only cause it's something that I used to use elsewhere.

I use the iPhone app. I searched for Macmillan but just brought up a ton of threads including the name. Maybe I need to learn to just use the search a bit better.
Old 21 August 2015, 20:55   #98

Sorry missed off. As you put above. A maintenance etc section would even cover it as a whole easily
Old 21 August 2015, 20:55   #99
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
I searched for Macmillan but just brought up a ton of threads including the name. Maybe I need to learn to just use the search a bit better.
No, your technique is fine, it's just that every other thread contains the word Macmillan
Old 21 August 2015, 20:57   #100
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
A maintenance etc section would even cover it as a whole easily
Which would work, except when members post theirs in the Hello forum or the For Sale forum and I have to move it (again) and then they complain about my efforts afterwards....