RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
You can upload a PIC from the water to RIB.net but its about 20x easier to FB if you have FB app on ur phone.
Is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
But new people are joining RIBnet and expecting answers to basic questions asked a hundred times before. So not really surprising that they either don't get answered or get a sarcastic comment.
They always did - but perhaps Garf used to confuse them enough that they didn't notice.
Old 19 August 2015, 18:23   #52

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Is it?
Yeah, Ribnet is a right faff to upload pics onto. Ever tried?

Old 19 August 2015, 18:25   #53

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Is it?

They always did - but perhaps Garf used to confuse them enough that they didn't notice.
Or maybe the newbs confused Hightower?
Old 19 August 2015, 19:04   #54
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Harley View Post
I haven't got pseudonym and can't understand why you need one to hide your identity
there are various reasons why some people on RIBnet don't use their full names. Here's some of them:
  • They post whilst they are supposed to be working and don't want to make it obvious to a boss searching the net.
  • Because the internet is full of weirdos and lots of "safety" advice would suggest you don't.
  • Because names, especially rarer ones, are not too hard to turn into addresses. People often tell the world they are going to be away for the weekend (inviting thieves to visit an empty home).
  • As above, but with several grands worth of expensive engine/boat kicking about.
  • Because as the internet grew up it was very common to use a user name and old habbits die hard [quicker, easier to type? spaces are an issue for lots of computer systems, so usernameswithoutspacesweremorecommon].
  • Because its the name of their boat.
  • Because its a nickname and they don't take life too seriously.
  • Because there are already a dozen regular posters called "Chris" and adding another one is confusing.
I'm sure there are others too, and as an aside, just because someone appears to be using a normal name doesn't mean you should necessarily trust them more than someone who is obviously using a pseudonym.

Quote:
I found ribnet to be a little high and mighty , I've only got a small rib and felt I didn't have the right credentials to be on here
I'm sorry you feel that, we created a whole special forum for SIBs for exactly that reason, but since the very early days some folks with the most basic of boats have been posting some most interesting stuff. Search for the Gurnard, Zodiac Man and Keith Hart as examples. Since people think that the Admin team should in someway be on a pedestal it might interest you to know that - (i) I own a 3.9m + 20HP pretend RIB (ii) Willk has perfected the art of using other people's boats, and has a wee SIB with a 9.9HP engine. (iii) JK has I think still got a SIB and has been ribless for as longs as I have known him! He did own a sailing rib at one point! (iv) Nos worked his way through the SR world before rebuilding a Ballistic with his own blood, sweat and tears.

We even had a gathering for small boats this year.

Quote:
I do look at ribnet and find lots of advice but I've never seen the comradeship that I see on RHIB every time a forum is raised a cruise date I smile because I'll never forget strangers coming together as one , touchy feely
has been mentioned , personally I find that's great because I will never forget the bond that's been formed between members of RHIB .
there's 1752 threads with cruises on them over here Upcoming RIB cruises - RIBnet Forums - obviously many of them will be in the past but I am sure that you would be made welcome on any of them. I've always been made welcome on any I went on and most people here hate me! The great thing about all the historic ones is if you want inspiration, top tips or inside info on the places you might well find it there. I don't doubt that Facebook is great for many things but searching old posts is something that platform is not good for (which is no criticism of the RHIBS group, or even Facebook Inc - it wasn't designed for that).

If face-to-face interaction is your thing then there used to be a Solent group who met up in the pub on a regular basis (if you see reference to "Church" in old posts its not ecclesiastical but reference to a pub!). The ring leaders moved on (from ribs I think) and so it died out - but of course it could be reinstated. Planning a cruise is a great pub activity - and then you can open it up to the wider world if you want more company.
Old 19 August 2015, 19:47   #55
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by il corvo View Post
the "admins" job is not an easy one, moderator, peace keeper, judge...
I wonder if this is part of the problem. That isn't really what RIBnet admins do. We:
  • Remove unwanted spam and ban the accounts - thankfully now quite a rare thing.
  • Remind commercial posters who missed the rules on the way in - to help keep the balance as constructive discussion rather than free advertising
  • Move posts when put in the wrong place.
  • Help people who are having issues with posting pics/video etc.
  • Try to keep some sort of order in the classifieds so sold stuff gets deleted.
  • Remove duplicate posts
  • Point people to advice on clearing cookies etc.
  • Try to spot people who are fake users actually promoting a product.
  • Guide people towards and very occasionally enforce "the Rules"
Its rare we remove any posts, never mind actually remove the user. People are amazingly good at self discipline here - we have no swear filter, banned topics of religion and politics rarely come up, and despite some forthright discussion it is seldom that we need to do much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorhandler View Post
Perhaps JK can answer this and confirm that member numbers are stable and the activity on the site hasn't declined.
We have 18,000 members (I think that is twice as many as when you joined), obviously not all are active. We don't seem to have any readily available data on historical activity. It is an interesting question so if I find a way I will try to get some data. We do know that RIBnet is seasonal. It feels to me like we are becoming more international, and also I think more distributed within the UK. My gut feel is there are also a lot more SIB users than there used to be. We have definitely had a lot less activity in the bilges than we used to - whether that is a good thing or not may depend on your view point.
Old 20 August 2015, 02:31   #56
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Saucer of milk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Yeah, Ribnet is a right faff to upload pics onto. Ever tried?

I have, and it's surprisingly simple. All you need is Tapatalk or the free RIBnet app (available for iOS and Android) and uploading pics from your phone is as easy as can be
Old 20 August 2015, 02:39   #57
RIBnet admin team

Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
I have, and it's surprisingly simple. All you need is Tapatalk or the free RIBnet app (available for iOS and Android) and uploading pics from your phone is as easy as can be
Yeah. Try a selfie for us... Mollers :-)
Old 20 August 2015, 03:23   #58
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
And you can even start a thread or post and then take a picture "live" within the app rather than having to take picture then launch app and find in gallery. I did a wee test and six clicks you can launch app, take picture, post it. That's exactly the same as my experiment with sharing it to a Facebook group!

The app may however be part of the "problem" it doesn't show or insert smileys properly so can only make understanding the tone of a response worse. It also encourages short quick replies, some people suggest that's good, but maybe it makes it more likely to be perceived as rude.
Old 20 August 2015, 03:37   #59
RIBnet supporter

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
And you can even start a thread or post and then take a picture "live" within the app rather than having to take picture then launch app and find in gallery. I did a wee test and six clicks you can launch app, take picture, post it. That's exactly the same as my experiment with sharing it to a Facebook group!

The app may however be part of the "problem" it doesn't show or insert smileys properly so can only make understanding the tone of a response worse. It also encourages short quick replies, some people suggest that's good, but maybe it makes it more likely to be perceived as rude.
+1 to all that, the app is easy to use AS LONG as you have a good internet connection, otherwise you get repeated timeouts, or at least I do.
Also I tend to use the app, "on the fly" so responses are naturally shorter & can seem more abrupt than usual
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4: See rule#5
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2015, 03:54   #60
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Also I tend to use the app, "on the fly" so responses are naturally shorter & can seem more abrupt than usual
That's true for me as well, although I do try to be aware of it and double-check what I've written before posting.

Surely the same would apply on Facebook though?