Old 21 August 2015, 09:48   #91

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
It seems fine as is.

We should sticky more useful info? I feel like I'm beating a dead horse for rehashing the same info for FC470s and regluing stuff.

Old 21 August 2015, 09:57   #92

Town: Birmingham
Boat name: Sparrowhawk
Make: Osprey
Engine: Yamaha 90hp 2T
I would just like a project section so easier to find them. That's where my main reason for visiting the forum is

Old 21 August 2015, 10:02   #93
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by office888 View Post
We should sticky more useful info? I feel like I'm beating a dead horse for rehashing the same info for FC470s and regluing stuff.
I know what you mean, but I'm not sure that sticking threads is the best way. In my experience the more sticky threads there are the less the get read.

I did start a FAQ section ages ago but it rather stalled. Maybe we ought to have another look at that. Perhaps there's someone out there who'd take on the role of FAQ editor.
Old 21 August 2015, 10:07   #94
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1eyedjim View Post
I would just like a project section so easier to find them. That's where my main reason for visiting the forum is

I've been pondering that for a while actually, but there's such a massive overlap with other areas (design, repairs, engines, electronics) that I'm not convinced that it's a separate enough subject to have its own forum. Maybe encouraging people to make better use of tagging threads with keywords would be helpful?
Old 21 August 2015, 10:34   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
I've been pondering that for a while actually, but there's such a massive overlap with other areas (design, repairs, engines, electronics) that I'm not convinced that it's a separate enough subject to have its own forum. Maybe encouraging people to make better use of tagging threads with keywords would be helpful?

Could you not have a project section with subsections you listed above. I used to post on a Jetski forum and they had a project section and was great as could click on here and have a great read. On here it all seems in the ribbing section and ends up next to general chat.

If I need to find a project o find it easier to go to google and search rib net that way. I did it the other day looking for the Macmillan project and couldn't find it easily searching the app so had to google it.

I may have been doing something wrong but that's how I find it best for me
Old 21 August 2015, 11:15   #96
Administrator

Improving RIBnet

Quote:
Could you not have a project section with subsections you listed above. I used to post on a Jetski forum and they had a project section and was great as could click on here and have a great read. On here it all seems in the ribbing section and ends up next to general chat.
The problem as I see it is that the average build thread may include all of these subjects and more, so aren't easily categorised. Having some posts on a subject in the main section and some in a projects section would end up making it harder to find information (although easier to find build threads to read).

What would qualify as a "project"? Does it include cleaning tubes or minor GRP repairs? Would fitting an A-frame or new electronics be a project? Or are you just thinking of more ambitious "build" threads?

Would a "Maintenance, repairs and rebuilds" section be helpful?

It would need to be unambiguous enough for people to easily know where to post and for mods not to need to keep moving things because they have been posted in the wrong place.

Quote:
If I need to find a project o find it easier to go to google and search rib net that way. I did it the other day looking for the Macmillan project and couldn't find it easily searching the app so had to google it.

I may have been doing something wrong but that's how I find it best for me
I just tried it using the unbranded version of Tapatalk (because that's what I have on my phone at the moment) and it worked fine. I selected search, then chose the RIBs and ribbing forum and searched for Macmillan. The main build thread was seventh in the list. What happens when you try?
Old 21 August 2015, 16:53   #97

I get what you mean about what is a project and what isn't. To me it would be something more than fitting ancillaries and more like a major renovation or structural repair. I agree if it classed everything then would be the same as current but spread over more places.

If something was able to be done around this without making it a nightmare for mods then it's the only thing I would change about the forum and that's only cause it's something that I used to use elsewhere.

I use the iPhone app. I searched for Macmillan but just brought up a ton of threads including the name. Maybe I need to learn to just use the search a bit better.
Old 21 August 2015, 16:55   #98

Sorry missed off. As you put above. A maintenance etc section would even cover it as a whole easily
Old 21 August 2015, 16:55   #99
RIBnet admin team

Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
RIBase
Quote:
I searched for Macmillan but just brought up a ton of threads including the name. Maybe I need to learn to just use the search a bit better.
No, your technique is fine, it's just that every other thread contains the word Macmillan
Old 21 August 2015, 16:57   #100
RIBnet admin team

Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
RIBase
Quote:
A maintenance etc section would even cover it as a whole easily
Which would work, except when members post theirs in the Hello forum or the For Sale forum and I have to move it (again) and then they complain about my efforts afterwards....