Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 08 March 2006, 12:54   #1
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Annapolis MD
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10
How does this Forum Work??

I belong to several other boat design forums, and when you make a posting to an existing thread subject that message gets eMailed out to all persons that have contributed to that subject matter within that subject thread. That way they are made aware of a new contribution to the subject matter at hand.

Additionally, that subject thread is now moved to the top of the list of threads to indicate 'activity' on the forum.

Even though the format of this RibNet forum appears to use the same software, it does not appear to include these features?? Now I must admit that I am not the most knowledgable computer person (just the opposite) out there, but it appears as though these features would make this forum more usefull than just a list of new subjects all of the time??

Reference:
<http://www.boatdesign.net/>
<http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/index.php>

Brian Eiland
<www.RunningTideYachts.com>
__________________

__________________
brian eiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 March 2006, 13:00   #2
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bromsgrove
Boat name: Flatacraft
Make: Flatacraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 70hp (OB)
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 68
Send a message via MSN to stu1288
i think we shud leave forum just how it is
__________________

__________________
stu1288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 March 2006, 13:05   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 2,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian eiland
I belong to several other boat design forums, and when you make a posting to an existing thread subject that message gets eMailed out to all persons that have contributed to that subject matter within that subject thread. That way they are made aware of a new contribution to the subject matter at hand.
Yup, it does...... look in "user CP edit options" and select the e-mail notification option

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian eiland
Additionally, that subject thread is now moved to the top of the list of threads to indicate 'activity' on the forum.
Does it for me.....
__________________
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 March 2006, 13:06   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,916
A motorcycle forum I belong to does that and it works great but this forum seems pretty busy with a lot more people etc so you could end up with so much email that you get fed up .

I like it as it is and so far have been welcomed and helped by some very friendly people .
Thanks for great foum and love the Vids I have found
__________________
ian parkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 March 2006, 13:07   #5
Member
 
Andy Moore's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Cowes, Isle of Wight
Boat name: TiLT 2
Make: Avon Adventure 620
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 135
MMSI: 235032203
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,639
RibNet does do what you want, but you have to set your Thread Subscription to have 'Instant Email Notification' when a thread you have contributed to is appended. This can be set in your User CP or individually under Additional Options, every time you post.

New/Updated message threads do appear at the top of the forum.
__________________
Andy Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 March 2006, 13:09   #6
Member
 
Louise's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Reading
Make: None
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,039
Hi Brian and welcome to RIBnet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian eiland
when you make a posting to an existing thread subject that message gets eMailed out to all persons that have contributed to that subject matter within that subject thread.
Have a look in the User Control Panel (User CP) and click on 'Edit Options'. Go to the 'Messaging & Notification' section, then 'Default Thread Subscription Mode'. Then simply choose to receive email notification from the drop down menu.

Quote:
Additionally, that subject thread is now moved to the top of the list of threads to indicate 'activity' on the forum.
I am confused - this does happen doesn't it?

HTH.

Edit: D'oh! Too slow!
__________________
MUM POWER!
www.biboa.com
Scorpion RIB Group on Facebook
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 March 2006, 16:09   #7
Member
 
Hugh Jardon's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,882
Hey Louise


get with the program that was explained in post 3........

just wanted to say that as richard did it to someone else

not long to go now!!!!!!!!!!!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Louise
Hi Brian and welcome to RIBnet.



Have a look in the User Control Panel (User CP) and click on 'Edit Options'. Go to the 'Messaging & Notification' section, then 'Default Thread Subscription Mode'. Then simply choose to receive email notification from the drop down menu.



I am confused - this does happen doesn't it?

HTH.

Edit: D'oh! Too slow!
__________________
Hugh Jardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 March 2006, 16:10   #8
Member
 
Hugh Jardon's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian parkes
A motorcycle forum I belong to does that and it works great but this forum seems pretty busy with a lot more people etc so you could end up with so much email that you get fed up .

I like it as it is and so far have been welcomed and helped by some very friendly people .
Thanks for great foum and love the Vids I have found
which bike forums do you use, i want one for sports bikes and one for traily and enduro bikes for off roading

cheeers
__________________
Hugh Jardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 March 2006, 16:53   #9
Administrator
 
John Kennett's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 6,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian eiland
Even though the format of this RibNet forum appears to use the same software, it does not appear to include these features?? Now I must admit that I am not the most knowledgable computer person (just the opposite) out there, but it appears as though these features would make this forum more usefull than just a list of new subjects all of the time??
As the others have said, you can indeed opt to receive these emails.

However, everyone's default setting is not to receive any emails unless they choose to. I think we all get enough spam as it is!

John

PS Welcome to RIBnet
__________________
John Kennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 March 2006, 17:01   #10
Member
 
Louise's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Reading
Make: None
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jardon
get with the program that was explained in post 3........

just wanted to say that as richard did it to someone else


Quote:
not long to go now!!!!!!!!!!!!


5 weeks and 4 days! Starting to panic a bit!
__________________

__________________
MUM POWER!
www.biboa.com
Scorpion RIB Group on Facebook
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:34.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.