Old 21 March 2015, 20:42   #41

Length: 5m +
Not part of any clique, have a Chinese import boat, talk sh*t at times & picked up as such, get flak / banter when I say something daft...to be honest it's just like work / pub / life.
Poly, you get flak but you get my vote. A team (not the A-Team) needs someone to play Devils Advocate and talk sense at times.
Old 21 March 2015, 21:45   #42

Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunk View Post
The A-Team (not a Team) needs Love it when a plan comes together.
Fixed that for ya!
Old 22 March 2015, 15:48   #43

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
....See....that's how you do it Pikey!
Never apologise, never explain
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2015, 19:15   #44

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
I prefer "never give up, never surrender"
Guess the film, which funnily enough bearing in mind this thread content, is a piss take of another film.......
Old 22 March 2015, 19:24   #45

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Miss Isle
Make: Solent 6.9
Length: 6m +
Engine: 225 optimax
Galaxy quest lol do you wanna buy a toothbrush?

Sent from my iPad using my finger
Old 28 March 2015, 10:20   #46
Spammer

Town: Stirling
Boat name: Macaw
Make: Parker 750 CC
Length: 7m +
Engine: VERADO 300XL OB
Delete Account

Hi moderators

Would it be possible to delete my account from RIBNET

Many thanks Callum.
Old 28 March 2015, 10:32   #47
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callum Stewart View Post
Hi moderators

Would it be possible to delete my account from RIBNET

Many thanks Callum.
'Fraid not dude. Please see above.
Old 28 March 2015, 12:41   #48
Spammer

Town: Stirling
Boat name: Macaw
Make: Parker 750 CC
Length: 7m +
Engine: VERADO 300XL OB
Thanks

Thanks willk,

Looks like you are stuck with me !!!

All the best Callum.
Old 02 January 2016, 08:41   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
I pray you, speak not. He grows worse and worse.
Question enrages him. At once, good night.
Stand not upon the order of your going,
But go at once

Your account must stay though. Just avoid the Submit Reply button and it will remain dormant.

On almost all forums I have been a member, this is an option, why is it not here? I may at some point decide that I want to close my account on here, there are many non-'toys-out-the-pram' reasons to want to do this and whatever the reason, I believe that just as people have the right to decide to join, they should have the right to decide to leave properly and that means deciding when their account and data they have contributed gets added or deleted. It's just fair that each individual gets to decide these things and that is why people occasionally ask to do this, it's their account and they should be able to take this basic action if they like. There is no reason for hate and obstruction of someone asking to delete their account, I was under no obligation to give reasons to join and I should not be under obligation to give reasons for leaving either, this should be an option for any member. Thankyou
Old 02 January 2016, 08:51   #50

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yetiman View Post

On almost all forums I have been a member, this is an option, why is it not here? I may at some point decide that I want to close my account on here, there are many non-'toys-out-the-pram' reasons to want to do this and whatever the reason, I believe that just as people have the right to decide to join, they should have the right to decide to leave properly and that means deciding when their account and data they have contributed gets added or deleted. It's just fair that each individual gets to decide these things and that is why people occasionally ask to do this, it's their account and they should be able to take this basic action if they like. There is no reason for hate and obstruction of someone asking to delete their account, I was under no obligation to give reasons to join and I should not be under obligation to give reasons for leaving either, this should be an option for any member. Thankyou
I disagree - if you remove an account you remove their threads, you then end up with very disjointed threads with gaps or *some text missing* messages which looks daft and de-values the information - the whole reason a community exists in the first place.

The threads should stay as they are, if you don't want to post / be involved, forget your password, delete the shortcut and don't use google search again.

Was there a reason for teh underlining - makes your post very uncomfortable to read.......

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 January 2016, 09:27   #51
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:

On almost all forums I have been a member, this is an option, why is it not here? I may at some point decide that I want to close my account on here,.............
We don't delete profiles/accounts, even if you DO type in Underline and put misleading information in your profile

For anyone planning a prolonged debate about this policy, I would draw your attention to the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
No whining
Inspired by the no-nonsense approach of the team of rule makers at 24 hours of LeMons we are invoking a version of their rule 2.4 on Whiner Eligibility and any posts deemed to be whining will be removed without notice. Serial offenders will have their posting rights revoked. If you believe that you might be a whiner, please check with a domestic partner, guardian, or health-care professional before posting.
Old 02 January 2016, 10:51   #52

[QUOTE=willk;702846]We don't delete profiles/accounts, even if you DO type in Underline and put misleading information in your profile

I wasnt asking about your deletion policy for people who put misleading information on their account (which would be a be good many people) that is a good policy for online privacy which most forums give the option to do, not sure why you'd want to bring it up though in a 'we'll let you off this time' kind of way. Also I didn't type in underline that would be ridicularse, I copied and pasted what I typed out not in underline and it pasted in underline. I thought it might revert back to normal when I posted but it didna. I was rather asking how I can delete my account, it's a perfectly normal thing to ask of any membership organisation isn't it? As for invoking the 'whining rule' after 1 post asking how to do something perfectly legit I think you'd want to be adjusting the sensitivity of your whineometer there. I could understand if I was a whinger/whiner but I'm not. This needn't be a lengthy debate, I have nothing against Ribnet at all, or it's members and would recommend the site 100%, I'm not throwing any toys around, I just want the option to close and delete my account, this is an option on forums and sites why isn't it on this one? Is it a case of you not knowing how to do it? Again, no need to take offence, criticism and change needn't be a negative thing, no need to see it as whinging unless it is at a level that could be seen to be excessive and unecessary. So can you please tell me how to close and delete my account or look in to offering this option if technically possible? I just think if you are going to offer voluntary membership to an excellent site you should offer members the option of terminating that membership and their content when they want, why spoil it by refusing a simple option?
Old 02 January 2016, 11:02   #53

Town: Fareham
I think there should be an option to leave every Internet based subscription service. I think this should be a right of any body for any reason. You don't have to delete posts but just the user's details.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 January 2016, 11:09   #54

And that is the short version I wish I could get to the point quicker lol I think there are certainly other members who would like this option and I cannot add to or improve on the way it was put by HT
Old 02 January 2016, 11:37   #55
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
I think there should be an option to leave every Internet based subscription service. I think this should be a right of any body for any reason. You don't have to delete posts but just the user's details.
Andy, there is nothing in a users profile that they can't change themselves except their username. If there was a really compelling reason to anonymize a username then it could be done on a case by case basis. But:

- we have never allowed account deletion for the reasons explained
- Nobody is required to publish any personal information about themselves.
- we don't really believe in rewriting history
- knowing that probably helps avoid some crazy trolling I've seen on some other forums - If people have to consider whether what they are about to write should exist for all time they may think twice before posting, that is a good thing.

Nobody is forced to join. If they don't like the policy they don't have to post in the first place.
Old 02 January 2016, 11:46   #56

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Andy, there is nothing in a users profile that they can't change themselves except their username. If there was a really compelling reason to anonymize a username then it could be done on a case by case basis. But:

- we have never allowed account deletion for the reasons explained
- Nobody is required to publish any personal information about themselves.
- we don't really believe in rewriting history
- knowing that probably helps avoid some crazy trolling I've seen on some other forums - If people have to consider whether what they are about to write should exist for all time they may think twice before posting, that is a good thing.

Nobody is forced to join. If they don't like the policy they don't have to post in the first place.
'tinternet is a very unforgiving place & many of us are still learning how to use it & the consequences of our actions therein. Nothing posted on the 'net should be deemed as private, confidential or transitory. Everything stays. Before posting anything, I ask myself "would I be prepared to stand on the town hall steps & broadcast this to all & sundry?" If the answer is no, then don't hit the Reply button.
Simples.

PS, you can tell when the weather is sh1t by the threads that get resurrected
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 02 January 2016, 15:56   #57

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Fact is although a forum a free it is someone property (someone owns the server) if you want to control what is kept on the server the you need to own it..... Otherwise you're writing on someone's else's wall and expecting them to paint over it at your request. Once you start paying for a service it may be different but never be under the impression that anyone other than the admin/owner is in charge and they can do what they like.... If you don't like it don't go writing one other people websites.....
Old 02 January 2016, 16:21   #58
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Quote:
I'm not throwing any toys around, I just want the option to close and delete my account, this is an option on forums and sites why isn't it on this one? Is it a case of you not knowing how to do it?
Not at all, in fact it's very simple to do. We choose not to delete old posts though as they make up an important part of the fabric of the forums.

Anyone can stop posting any time they like, and we'll normally agree to a username change if requested. We can also deactivate an account if required, but that won't affect anything previously posted. I understand that Yetiman's account has now been deactivated.
Old 02 January 2016, 17:45   #59

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Chuck him out!

Purely on the basis of over-underlining and under-paragraphing, truly frightful.

Old 03 January 2016, 10:25   #60

RIBase
13 posts & he's gone, am I missing something?

Tags
rib