Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 23 June 2006, 05:41   #21
Now back to being Mollers!
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Arundel
Boat name: Mike Bravo 1
Make: Scorp
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 300
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 652
As i said it's a good site, he's doing plenty right. But, as with most things there is room for improvement. Perhaps a section to discuss moderating issues would be an idea. It may have been Winston Churchill that said " The only good thing about a dictatorship is that the trains run on time".
__________________

__________________
Alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2006, 05:50   #22
Administrator
 
John Kennett's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 6,829
This section is as good as any to discuss moderating issues.

I am genuinely interested to hear other people's views about how RIBnet is run, even if I don't agree with them. Bear in mind that the trains definitely run on time on RIBnet.

John

PS I really don't want to stop you taking part here, but I don't think I can make my position any clearer. I'm going to be off-line for most of the day, so I've removed the hoops you have to jump through for now. Life's too short.
__________________

__________________
John Kennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2006, 05:52   #23
Now back to being Mollers!
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Arundel
Boat name: Mike Bravo 1
Make: Scorp
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 300
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett
This section is as good as any to discuss moderating issues.

I am genuinely interested to hear other people's views about how RIBnet is run, even if I don't agree with them. Bear in mind that the trains definitely run on time on RIBnet!

John

PS I really don't want to stop you taking part here, but I don't think I can make my position any clearer. I'm going to be off-line for most of the day, so I've removed the hoops you have to jump through for now. Life's too short.
Cheers, I'll keep the noise down.
__________________
Alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2006, 07:28   #24
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bradford on Avon
Boat name: tbc
Make: Sunseeker (AshleyD)
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2 x coal burners
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 461
Hey guys, RIBnet is a broad church!

My view, John, is that there is room for everyone. Personally I enjoy the banter from the south west posters. They seem to enjoy themselves & I find their comments amusing & never offensive.

Please leave things as they are

Regards

Ian
__________________
I miss the sound of an Etec in the morning
Brambles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2006, 08:39   #25
Member
 
Pete7's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 4,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett
I am genuinely interested to hear other people's views about how RIBnet is run, even if I don't agree with them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice
As i said it's a good site, he's doing plenty right.
Agreed, I think the word is "Status Quo" so lets keep it exactly as it is, if that means JK deletes the little spam we get fairly quickly great stuff and occasionally moderates Alices posts (whose sence of humour I sometimes struggle with) thats fine. In fact I will vote with my wallet and renew my membership now

Pete
__________________
.
Ribnet is best viewed on a computer of some sort
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2006, 10:51   #26
Member
 
Hugh Jardon's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice
Cheers, I'll keep the noise down.
welcome back mollers
__________________
Hugh Jardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2006, 10:56   #27
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Boat name: Mr Blue Sky
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-Tec 90
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 98
if it ain't broke, don't fix it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brambles
Hey guys, RIBnet is a broad church!

My view, John, is that there is room for everyone. Personally I enjoy the banter from the south west posters. They seem to enjoy themselves & I find their comments amusing & never offensive.

Please leave things as they are
Spot on. I like it just as it is. Interesting and informative but with a lighter side. Alice's noise is all part of her charm... I can see John likes to run a tight ship and keep an eye on his baby but at the moment there's nothing wrong.


Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett
Leeway came onto the forums declaring that he had designed a new rib. He claimed that it was his own work when it was clearly not. He got stick for this. I removed some abusive posts from both sides of the argument, but otherwise left it well alone. I think that's a reasonable approach.

fede has recently shown pictures of the RIB he has designed. When asked about the origins of the hull, he explained his influences and showed the making of the mould. This earnt him respect. Compare and contrast!
John
Couldn't agree more, Leeway deservedly got some stick but he brought it on himself, fede handled it so much better.
__________________
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2006, 11:33   #28
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton
Boat name: Jaws
Make: Gemini 4.2
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 50hp
MMSI: none
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 277
Send a message via MSN to Gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brambles
I find their comments amusing & never offensive.
Thats all well and good but what happens if they were aimed at you? Maybe you would feel differently. From speaking to JK he spends a lot of time looking after RIBnet and I think people should respect the way he wants the forum to run.

Saying that, I enjoy reading RIBnet and the smartarse and funny comments do make it more enjoyable. There are guidlines for posting on RIBnet and i'm sure JK simply moderates to keep things at an acceptable level. I don't think people should have a pop at him for the way he wants to run HIS site. At the end of the day he is not trying to get rid of the banter all together, just some of the stuff that he feels isn't appropriate.

6 years later and it is going strong...well done John.
__________________
Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2006, 15:24   #29
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bradford on Avon
Boat name: tbc
Make: Sunseeker (AshleyD)
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2 x coal burners
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray
Thats all well and good but what happens if they were aimed at you? Maybe you would feel differently. From speaking to JK he spends a lot of time looking after RIBnet and I think people should respect the way he wants the forum to run.

Saying that, I enjoy reading RIBnet and the smartarse and funny comments do make it more enjoyable. There are guidlines for posting on RIBnet and i'm sure JK simply moderates to keep things at an acceptable level. I don't think people should have a pop at him for the way he wants to run HIS site. At the end of the day he is not trying to get rid of the banter all together, just some of the stuff that he feels isn't appropriate.

6 years later and it is going strong...well done John.

I don't have a problem with this at all Gray. Some of Alice's barbed comments have been aimed at me recently & I found my self laughing at them (& me) rather than being offended.

Also. please don't get me wrong, I'm not having a pop at John in any way, shape or form. I feel that this forum has a good balance of serious/funny members & I would like it to remain that way. I don't underestimate the job that JK does in keeping the balance right & as Pete said - keep the Status Quo.
__________________
I miss the sound of an Etec in the morning
Brambles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2006, 15:37   #30
Now back to being Mollers!
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Arundel
Boat name: Mike Bravo 1
Make: Scorp
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 300
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 652
Hey, Gray. If I've said something to offend you, I'm sorry. The SW guys and myself like a bit of a laugh, but never intentionally set out to 'P' anyone off.
__________________

__________________
Alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:26.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.