Old 13 June 2019, 12:38   #1

Length: 6m +
Brixham

We are about to book a holiday in Brixham for August 2020 but thought I’d have quick look at boat storage and couldn’t find any.

If the weather nice I’d launch on arrival and take rib out water day before we leave.

Does anyone know of any?

Thank you
Old 13 June 2019, 13:55   #2

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
There's maybe some in the inner harbour but that dries out twice a day and your boat would be vulnerable. I checked prices with Brixham Marina who would have given me a berth but it wasn't cheap.

Have you considered launching at Dartmouth nearby? I would pull mine out every day and leave the trailer in the boat park which I think is free. Free to launch too.
Old 13 June 2019, 14:24   #3

Town: Plymouth
Make: Ribeye
Engine: Yamaha 200
MMSI: 232019634
Plenty of space in Brixham Marina, but as said the daily rate isn't cheap (£3.90/metre per day). They may give you space on the events pontoon which is cheaper than the marina pontoons but has no electricity (£2.90/metre per day). They are part of the MDL group so you could park your trailer at their yard at Galmpton, which is not far away.

There are some island pontoons in the outer harbour now, which would be cheaper still but I have no idea of costs, the harbour office would let you know.

May be worth a call to the MDL yard at Galmpton, if you don't mind launch and recovery each time you want to get out. Although it is approx 30 minutes down to the sea at 5 knots, and it does dry out so would be tide dependant.

Give them a call and see what they say.
Old 13 June 2019, 18:37   #4

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Last time I went a fair while ago I paid about £120 for the week on the pontoon brixham marina 6m rib so easy,secure and made the holiday being able to go out anytime of day
Old 13 June 2019, 20:57   #5

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
I can't remember what the visitor berths at Torquay were last year but don't think they were much more then £50 for the week when we went last year.

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 21:03   #6

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Options at Torquay and Paignton just round the corner but brixham can be limited on parking spaces so idea if you can walk to the berth.
Old 13 June 2019, 22:41   #7

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
brixham can be limited on parking spaces
Are you sure? We never had a problem using the multi-storey near the marina even if the car park opposite (adjacent to the slipway) was chock solid. There's always plenty of parking.
Old 14 June 2019, 06:41   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limecc View Post
Are you sure? We never had a problem using the multi-storey near the marina even if the car park opposite (adjacent to the slipway) was chock solid. There's always plenty of parking.
I agree. I've never had an issue with parking in the marina multi storey at Brixham, even on big weekends like Brixfest and Pirates Day.

Torquay is more limited with more chance of a long walk if you can't get into the small marina car park.

Paignton is very limited on berthing and parking.
Old 14 June 2019, 07:35   #9

Thanks all that’s great information.
Where would be best to store my trailer once boat in the water for the week?

Also can anyone recommend places to go with the family?

I did see Elberry cove is popular with Jetski and wakeboard etc which I enjoy so would be good to watch.
Old 14 June 2019, 07:46   #10

If you stay in Brixham Marina they may let you store your trailer in their yard at Galmpton, it's only 15 minutes away and is secure.
Old 14 June 2019, 15:00   #11

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limecc View Post
I tend to launch fro Torquay when down there, last time one of the guys who launches at Brixham slip said they had changed the parking and he struggled to park where he normally did (near the slipway) perhaps he just didn't like the walk to the multi-storey or it may have been he has a high vehicle which which cant get into the multi-storey.

Babbacombe bay the other side of Torquay towards Teignmouth is nice and sometimes get flyboarders entertaining the crowds
Old 16 June 2019, 21:59   #12

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
Brixham marina is MDL - they are usually accommodating fro pre-booked short stay - in the past it's cost c, £16 / night for a 5.5m boat.
Can launch from Brixham public sip - it's steep, and can leave locked trailer at top (nobody checks) or can as others have said run trailer round to Dartside at Galmpton - arrange with MDL.

Loads of places to venture to - many coves/ beaches with in a few miles, Elbury, Broadsands, Scabbacombe, Babbacombe etc, but other places within easy reach - Exmouth, Dartmouth, and on longer trips Salcombe, Plymouth, Lyme Regis.

Lots of accommodation options as well- pm me, may even know places to rent depending on dates.