Old 18 November 2014, 10:06   #31
RIBnet admin team

Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
Alas the tone of your posts (to me) simply highlight the arrogant approach and tone of posts that are not only tolerated by seemingly endorsed - hence why its not only me that has noticed it . How many time does something need to be raised before someone may actually believe that there could be some truth in what's being said ?

I'll let you get back to work - and lurk waiting for the missing word ' sorry' in your lengthy reply - or do you enjoy causing offence - and offence doesn't need to be intended for something to be deemed offensive .......
It's very difficult to judge the tone of a post accurately. That may be part of the problem. You may feel that I am arrogant - but the purpose of my post was to point out, as honestly and clearly as I could, the hypocrisy of your demanding an apology (on another's behalf) for what might be, at worst, mild sarcasm, when you've previously posted threats of violence on the forum - repeated here today. IMO, you have double standards. I don't enjoy giving offence, but sometimes the truth has to be told - garFiE told me that

Old 18 November 2014, 10:22   #32

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
It's very difficult to judge the tone of a post accurately. That may be part of the problem. You may feel that I am arrogant - but the purpose of my post was to point out, as honestly and clearly as I could, the hypocrisy of your demanding an apology (on another's behalf) for what might be, at worst, mild sarcasm, when you've previously posted threats of violence on the forum - repeated here today. IMO, you have double standards. I don't enjoy giving offence, but sometimes the truth has to be told - garFiE told me that
Some learn from their errors - some continue to make them ......

My 'standard' is around respect - everyone starts with it - its just a question of if they choose to keep it. I haven't 'demanded' anything - just pointed out its not there - pedantic but more accurate than you stating my 'demanding an apology'?

If I am a 'target' or what I deem abuse - I'll react - its my right to - its an open forum. If I deem someone is rude - I'll take note and comment . I've pointed out that 'mild sarcasm' to you is 'offence' to others . If I cause offence at least I have actually meant to cause it - instead of being so arrogant that I wont accept it 'could' be received as offensive ...................

On the basis of 'its not aimed at me so its OK' .....really ? - so as long as something doesn't affect you its OK to continue ? That's a slippery slope

As you say - the truth has to be told - in this case by several posters about the tone of admins posts - unfortunately its falling on deaf ears ( again ) .

Old 18 November 2014, 10:23   #33

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Are we in the bilges yet ? Surely I've not towed the admins line somewhere somehow ?

As for etecs - those pesky oil burning rough running unreliable things should never be allowed near a boat...or water and you can only read its an etec if its on its side now ( which it will be when it falls off)
Old 18 November 2014, 10:30   #34

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
Just don't bring ETECS into the discussion as that will ensure the bilges will have an addition!
Old 19 November 2014, 03:28   #35
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Some learn from their errors - some continue to make them .......
Indeed.

As someone who appears to be prone to outbursts of petulance, name calling and occasional threats of violence you might like to ponder whether your position on the moral high ground is as secure as you seem to think!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.moody View Post
A That's why I now spend most of my time on another boating forum, and only look on here occasionally. I expect this observation will get me banned from this forum, hey ho.
As willk explained, getting banned from RIBnet is surprisingly difficult. There's no problem if you want to do stuff on Facebook too. There's plenty of room on the internet for everyone
Old 19 November 2014, 05:48   #36

Length: 7m +
This thread makes me chuckle, carefull or the admins will send you snotty emails. Seems like some people get away with snotty post replies and others dont, ive had more than a few snotty remarks directed my why over the years and never complained, and then I posted a reply that was suppossed to be humourous to a snotty reply to my post (from an admin) and I get a snotty admin email to be carefull. which I then complained about with an admin. And some people are more prone to replying in a sarcastic unhelpful way than others.

So I guess it all depends who is posting and who is in the club and who understands the banter and does or doesnt get offended.

But at the end of the day who cares, just ignore the crap on here is best advice, use the forum or don't, yes i do agree that the level of crap and snotty replies has probably reduced the forums use. I often have things I would like to share and some questions to raise but often think no its not worth the crap I would receive back in replies.

But im still laughing about this post and still looking at it so my tolerance level to crap is still not full. LOL ...
Old 19 November 2014, 05:50   #37

Length: 7m +
Quote:
Are we in the bilges yet ? Surely I've not towed the admins line somewhere somehow ?

As for etecs - those pesky oil burning rough running unreliable things should never be allowed near a boat...or water and you can only read its an etec if its on its side now ( which it will be when it falls off)
Nice one, am spluttering coffee out as I laugh at my desk. People near me think im nuts !
Old 19 November 2014, 08:02   #38
RIBnet supporter

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
Really? Is everyone so sensitive that a light hearted suggestion that a new poster uses the search facility before posting causes major offence?
I've said it before & I'll say it again..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Maybe we could set up a special area for all those sensitive types who see slurs & slights in every sentence. A sort of "Contra-Bilges" where they could sit on Laura Ashley prints, sipping green tea whilst reading rule #4 the Guardian & contemplating solutions to world peace.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4: See rule#5
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2014, 08:06   #39
RIBnet supporter

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
......Otherwise you would have had to publicly apologise for threatening to drive to Cornwall and slap Mollers around...
Aye, but he'd soon give it a miss when he saw the length of the queue
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4: See rule#5
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2014, 08:10   #40
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
This thread makes me chuckle, carefull or the admins will send you snotty emails.
We don't dish them out very often, and not just for the odd snotty remark either. We've really got much better things to be doing. Warning PMs are reserved for situations where we feel that someone has really overstepped the mark.

Quote:
But at the end of the day who cares, just ignore the crap on here is best advice, use the forum or don't