Old 16 March 2010, 12:45   #1

Town: Solent
Make: Phantom 21
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner 200hp V6
Yachtmaster Power exam conversion - what can I expect?

Hi all,

I'm looking to convert my Yachtmaster Sail to Yachtmaster Power and was wondering what exactly I can expect in the exam? As I already hold the Yachtmaster Sail ticket, am I more or less likely to get a grilling?

I currently hold C/E Yachtmaster Sail and C/E Advanced Powerboat tickets and am an Advanced Powerboat Instructor. I have a lot of charter work experience with yachts and RIBs, mainly in the Solent and some in Plymouth as well.

Would appreciate a bit of info from someone who has been through the motions etc. on what to expect in terms of difficulty.

Thanks,

Jonny.
Old 16 March 2010, 15:57   #2

Length: 6m +
Jonny, as it's a conversion, you shouldn't expect too much of a grilling on Navigation aspects, and the exam will be shorter.

However, I'd say that's the only real way it differs (or should differ!) from the YM Sail exam - on mine, the examiner used every opportunity to refresh on
- IRPCS
- Lights & Shapes
- Seamanship Knowledge
- Safety Briefings and Crew Management

Specific areas which we expected to be tested on (and mostly were) that ensure you are a good power candidate too, include:
- Diesel Engines
- Radar (As a Collision Avoidance tool, and a navigational tool)
- Fuel Consumption/Ranges
- Boathandling

That said - the close quarters stuff is a bit more straightforward, and tends to be a little more relaxed regarding doubling up lines (i.e. Bow lines used as a spring also etc) and such. We didn't anchor at all. The examiner also requested that we didn't use the bow thruster unless we really had to - we didn't!

It's a short conversion exam, and is pretty straightforward as long as you go in with all your skills and knowledge still tuned - if you're rusty, it may catch you out.
Old 16 March 2010, 16:03   #3

Length: 6m +
Jonny, as it's a conversion, you shouldn't expect too much of a grilling on Navigation aspects, and the exam will be shorter.

However, I'd say that's the only real way it differs (or should differ!) from the YM Sail exam - on mine, the examiner used every opportunity to refresh on
- IRPCS
- Lights & Shapes
- Seamanship Knowledge
- Safety Briefings and Crew Management

Specific areas which we expected to be tested on (and mostly were) that ensure you are a good power candidate too, include:
- Diesel Engines
- Radar (As a Collision Avoidance tool, and a navigational tool)
- Fuel Consumption/Ranges
- Boathandling

That said - the close quarters stuff is a bit more straightforward, and tends to be a little more relaxed regarding doubling up lines (i.e. Bow lines used as a spring also etc) and such. We didn't anchor at all. The examiner also requested that we didn't use the bow thruster unless we really had to - we didn't!

It's a short conversion exam, and is pretty straightforward as long as you go in with all your skills and knowledge still tuned - if you're rusty, it may catch you out.
Old 18 March 2010, 08:43   #4

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Yoda & Obi Wan
Make: XS700
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 HP
3 hrs
diesel
elec nav ( radar ang gps)
passage planning with a faster boat
mob
boat handling

and anything else he feels like
Old 19 March 2010, 10:02   #5

Town: Solent
Make: Phantom 21
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner 200hp V6
Thanks for that info guys. Much appreciated.

J.