Old 08 January 2010, 09:32   #41

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
fair reply, the answer is have a go at codeing anything, let me explain a ce stability test though, basically speaking put a load of people on board to see if it's ok, some manufacturers put the heavy guys in the bow to make the stern higher, you get the plate for 4, 6, 8, 10 whatever but when you come to rig it it's a different matter, trust me, me and you don't get on, fair enough but most of what i tell you is from experience or by what i've been told by the authorities, i wouldn't send someone down the wrong track just for the sake of it. mine is a crusade for safer boats and i will carry on "pushing it" if that what it takes to drag the bureaucrats out of the dark ages, the war on cat 2 cabins ribs is not over
Old 08 January 2010, 10:00   #42
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
ce stability test though, basically speaking put a load of people on board to see if it's ok... but when you come to rig it it's a different matter
I know some people seem to take it much more seriously than others, and 'self certification' at the lower end of the scale isn't going to do much to get consistency.
Quote:
the war on cat 2 cabins ribs is not over
I look forward to hearing the outcome - I see where you are coming from. I can also see where they are coming from in terms of the protection offered by a wheelhouse, but you are right its not explicitly required in the MGN. Do they demand that in yacht at Cat 2?
Old 08 January 2010, 10:45   #43

the stupid thing is they agreed that the cabin was big enough and then changed there mind, i pointed out that there was more space in the cabin than in the liferafts they want me to carry and all the people can sit in there comfortably, but then were saying things like, what if you were 10 miles out and it got rough how about then, i did point out that a craft capable of doing over 40knts could run before the weather unlike a yacht and 10 miles is not far at speed, it was very unprofessional on there part and it took 4 months, but i did get a ruling on elephant trunks though, i'm not a great believer in them and have seen some near sinkings with them being ripped off, my boat has no holes in the transom for deck drains and they're happy with my arrangement, still partly secret as to what i've done as i'm working on something else to go with it, i still think the mca should apoint specific people for different classes of boats and keep up with there progress
i think we have exhausted that one and highjacked someones thread in the process
Old 08 January 2010, 16:51   #44

Town: Oban (mostly)
Make: Ribcraft, Humber,BWM
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboards
Send a message via Skype™ to SeaSkills
Hi Biffer,

I'm curious - why does your profile say "no boat"?
Tel; 07525 012 013
SeaSkills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 January 2010, 08:39   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSkills View Post
Hi Biffer,

I'm curious - why does your profile say "no boat"?
morning, i believe my profile has nothing at all on it, it was done because i was accused of punting for work, it may have looked like that, so i made it as hard as possible for people to get hold of me.
i'm thinking of changing that soon and offering my one stop boat repair facility to everybody, i'm basically semi retired and have built custom stuff for clients i already had, having run out of old cients who want new boats i need something to occupy myself, i still own the large workshop and machine shop, tube benders,welders sewing machine in fact everything we used when in full build mode,i need to alter some things to be able do cope with loads of small jobs instead of large jobs then i'll get hold of JK and pay him his dues, i still have a large cient base who come to me for there engine services an i do all the repairs for the habour master, stainless for rya and most of the other commercial boat people in the hamble, i also do stuff for cummins so you see i'm semi retired, i'm also doing some good charterwork now and i'm enjoying that,
if you think this seems like ani deal lifestyle, i'm not conplaining
Old 09 January 2010, 09:28   #46

Town: Oban (mostly)
Make: Ribcraft, Humber,BWM
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboards
Send a message via Skype™ to SeaSkills
Quote:
morning, i believe my profile has nothing at all on it, it was done because i was accused of punting for work, it may have looked like that, so i made it as hard as possible for people to get hold of me.
i'm thinking of changing that soon and offering my one stop boat repair facility to everybody, i'm basically semi retired and have built custom stuff for clients i already had, having run out of old cients who want new boats i need something to occupy myself, i still own the large workshop and machine shop, tube benders,welders sewing machine in fact everything we used when in full build mode,i need to alter some things to be able do cope with loads of small jobs instead of large jobs then i'll get hold of JK and pay him his dues, i still have a large cient base who come to me for there engine services an i do all the repairs for the habour master, stainless for rya and most of the other commercial boat people in the hamble, i also do stuff for cummins so you see i'm semi retired, i'm also doing some good charterwork now and i'm enjoying that,
if you think this seems like ani deal lifestyle, i'm not conplaining
Ahh, that explains it. Sounds like a great life - hope you continue to enjoy it.
Tel; 07525 012 013
SeaSkills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 January 2010, 09:44   #47
RIBnet admin team

Biffer - there's no reason to remove your boat details from your profile. Its just touting for business that isn't liked.

Ian - Biff's boat is discussed in detail in this thread: http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21027
Old 09 January 2010, 10:33   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Biffer - there's no reason to remove your boat details from your profile. Its just touting for business that isn't liked.

Ian - Biff's boat is discussed in detail in this thread: http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21027
that thread seems so long ago

it was easier taking the lot off, people were still managing to find me, also i got stopped a couple of times by ribnet members.
i met up with my old mate Andre from Parker ribs, now we go back over 10 years, there were 36 other ribnet members there, how difficult do you think it was for me to do some little bits for Andre and deny the others
these guys only want the best for them and there boats and thats why in the next couple of months i will register as a trade member
Old 09 January 2010, 10:42   #49
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
that thread seems so long ago
do you still have the 'bimini top' bit or does it come on/off in use? - thought I remembered a more recent pic where it wasn't there? Would it be feasible to add some sort of fabric/pvc sides to that which would create a canopy type wheelhouse? Would that help at all with the quest for Cat 2?
Old 09 January 2010, 11:44   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
do you still have the 'bimini top' bit or does it come on/off in use? - thought I remembered a more recent pic where it wasn't there? Would it be feasible to add some sort of fabric/pvc sides to that which would create a canopy type wheelhouse? Would that help at all with the quest for Cat 2?
i have sides that clip on and the bimini is still on but you can unlace the canvas, there is also netting on the underside with zips in, makes lovely pockets for phone keys etc again i think i was first with the bimini on a rib and the zip pockets, and just in case someone else wants to say they were first with bimini, i have my old boat in for service and stuff and that has one and that boats must be close to 18years old
i'm not sure what the next step with the mca is going to be, something will come up that i can use as a lever
Old 25 January 2010, 17:30   #51
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Engine: 300hp plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2 RIBS View Post
In some respects I agree about the RIB size as I looked at a new 5.35 and 5.85 and when you look at what kit is needed for coding with a liferaft , it is the liferaft that takes up room and is about 40kg for a 6 man ISO craft. I settled for a 585 for additional space rather than the wieght issue.
The rest of the kit is easy in weight but we have had to discuss consul locations and liferaft location to get a good balanced RIB. The next decision was whether to have the craft in a cradle side on or cradle flat. I settled for flat to not place a balance issue of 40kg being bounced/thrown with forces created. Once I have the RIB loaded I will post an image or two
ok images as promised from launch today, still got a few things to do but shows layout and boat in general. This is not me as cold so engineer out!!!. But images show liferaft position to stern area and how else it has been finished of.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3192[1].JPG
Views:	189
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	48861   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3193[1]a.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	48862   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3190[1]a.jpg
Views:	642