Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 07 January 2010, 13:53   #31
Member
 
biffer's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,848
21 should be fine, ribtec used to use my mould, i took it back when i left, another ribnet member has it at the moment, have to give him a nudge to get it back
__________________

__________________
biffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 January 2010, 15:27   #32
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
you've forgot the etc etc, to my mind in a boat that size OTT and in constant danger of swamping at rest
OK so it looks like the etc etc is:

Hydrocarbon detector: (may not be required if you have a small boat with portable fuel tanks and a sealed deck. But hardly a major weight issue)
Duplicate batteries will be a weight and space penalty on larger boats but smaller boat is likely to have pull start as a backup, so not required.
Waterproof torch ('alternative lighting' and 'signaling lamp') – you would presumably want one anyway.
Alternative method of steering (but this can be a paddle which you would have anyway suitable fixed to the engine).
600 L/h bilge pump* (not big or heavy, and most of us have one fitted)
A bucket/bailer or hand pump.
Lifejackets (which you would be wearing) + 2 spares
TPA's - 1 per person (or just 2 assuming crew/passengers are wearing immersion suits)* - that's something 1 don't carry, but I do carry spare dry clothes etc.
Handheld VHF
Siren/Alarm (fog horn?)
Fire extinguisher (34B type)
Second fire extinguisher (34B/5A)* - I don't carry 2 extinguishers but I think mine is bigger than this anyway?
VHF DSC radio*
Anchor ball (they pack flat and are lightweight so no major penalty)
Echosounder (or other means of measuring depth of available water – presumably my 'lead' line would be OK?)
Charts* (but chart plotter maybe ok)
Boarding ladder or recovery net
Cat C medical kit – a bit more than most here probably carry, but for a “safety/work boat” not unreasonable.


The above applies to an open RIB <6m in length, with an outboard engine operating Cat 4 or 5.


* May not be required for Cat 6. The freeboard requirement is also reduced in Cat 6 – provided it can be shown the boat is self draining when moving forward.

I still don't see anything there which is unnecessary and presents a significant weight penalty, except for the liferaft which weighs less than 1/2 of my weight. The total weight of the 'extra' kit will be about the same as one person - so it can't be that marginal to make a small boat unsafe - just take fewer people. I also can't see anything there that would seem unreasonable if I were a paying passenger on a small boat or an employee on a "work boat" possibly without much back-up around. Bearing in mind that this is outside categorised waters then even the liferaft might be justifiable in a commercial opperation (although I'm surprised its required for Cat 6).



I recon I could fit it all on my 4m boat. There might be a need for some transom 'extension' but otherwise it would be possible and the only issue would be storing the liferaft.
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 January 2010, 15:38   #33
Member
 
biffer's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
OK so it looks like the etc etc is:

Hydrocarbon detector: (may not be required if you have a small boat with portable fuel tanks and a sealed deck. But hardly a major weight issue)
Duplicate batteries will be a weight and space penalty on larger boats but smaller boat is likely to have pull start as a backup, so not required.
Waterproof torch ('alternative lighting' and 'signaling lamp') – you would presumably want one anyway.
Alternative method of steering (but this can be a paddle which you would have anyway suitable fixed to the engine).
600 L/h bilge pump* (not big or heavy, and most of us have one fitted)
A bucket/bailer or hand pump.
Lifejackets (which you would be wearing) + 2 spares
TPA's - 1 per person (or just 2 assuming crew/passengers are wearing immersion suits)* - that's something 1 don't carry, but I do carry spare dry clothes etc.
Handheld VHF
Siren/Alarm (fog horn?)
Fire extinguisher (34B type)
Second fire extinguisher (34B/5A)* - I don't carry 2 extinguishers but I think mine is bigger than this anyway?
VHF DSC radio*
Anchor ball (they pack flat and are lightweight so no major penalty)
Echosounder (or other means of measuring depth of available water – presumably my 'lead' line would be OK?)
Charts* (but chart plotter maybe ok)
Boarding ladder or recovery net
Cat C medical kit – a bit more than most here probably carry, but for a “safety/work boat” not unreasonable.


The above applies to an open RIB <6m in length, with an outboard engine operating Cat 4 or 5.


* May not be required for Cat 6. The freeboard requirement is also reduced in Cat 6 – provided it can be shown the boat is self draining when moving forward.

I still don't see anything there which is unnecessary and presents a significant weight penalty, except for the liferaft which weighs less than 1/2 of my weight. The total weight of the 'extra' kit will be about the same as one person - so it can't be that marginal to make a small boat unsafe - just take fewer people. I also can't see anything there that would seem unreasonable if I were a paying passenger on a small boat or an employee on a "work boat" possibly without much back-up around. Bearing in mind that this is outside categorised waters then even the liferaft might be justifiable in a commercial opperation (although I'm surprised its required for Cat 6).



I recon I could fit it all on my 4m boat. There might be a need for some transom 'extension' but otherwise it would be possible and the only issue would be storing the liferaft.
carry on then, clown!
tim m talk to mark towl on 02380839640 (direct line) top bloke at mca
__________________
biffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 January 2010, 16:14   #34
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
carry on then, clown!
If I was trying to make money from my boat (or believe it would be viable) then I would. However I can manage to post in the discussion without being abusive! Perhaps you can tell us though, other than the liferaft (which many people find 'controversial' on a rib) what kit you are required to carry on say a 5m rib coded to go 20 miles from a safe haven in daylight and good weather which you think is both completely unnecessary AND actually makes the boat less safe.
Quote:
tim m talk to mark towl on 02380839640 (direct line) top bloke at mca
Is he the same guy who told you that you can't code a boat less than 6m (a fact you keep posting on here despite having been told its innacurate) even though in several places in MGN280 it says 'boats less than 6m'. You have actually read MGN280 if your in the process of coding, haven't you?
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 January 2010, 16:50   #35
Member
 
biffer's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
If I was trying to make money from my boat (or believe it would be viable) then I would. However I can manage to post in the discussion without being abusive! Perhaps you can tell us though, other than the liferaft (which many people find 'controversial' on a rib) what kit you are required to carry on say a 5m rib coded to go 20 miles from a safe haven in daylight and good weather which you think is both completely unnecessary AND actually makes the boat less safe.

Is he the same guy who told you that you can't code a boat less than 6m (a fact you keep posting on here despite having been told its innacurate) even though in several places in MGN280 it says 'boats less than 6m'. You have actually read MGN280 if your in the process of coding, haven't you?
i was told by a surveyor and no i have'nt read all the mgn280 as a lot of it doesn't relate to ribs, if you say you can code a 5m ok we;ll talk 5m, i'm assuming you're talking about restricted cat3 or 4, well i think you have to have the lot, but going by there stance towards ribs they may not give you either without serious restrictions, i have found that different surveyors have different ideas on how they read the 280 and when they go back to the mca for guideance that's when it really goes down hill, i have unrestricted cat 3 but it was hardwork getting it considering the boat i have.
as for being abusive, well i'm afraid i say it like i see it but i thought i was quite restrained at calling you a clown, people i don't like usually get more than that
__________________
biffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 January 2010, 17:37   #36
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
i was told by a surveyor
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer
my info never came from the 280 brief notes but from the horses mouth, mca southampton,


Quote:
i'm assuming you're talking about restricted cat3 or 4, well i think you have to have the lot, but going by there stance towards ribs they may not give you either without serious restrictions,
Going by the number of coded ribs around I think your 'issues' are not that they don't like ribs - but you are pushing the envelope of what they are used to with ribs.

You didn't really answer the question though. I know that you need all that lot to get coded (and yes I'm talking for the sake of argument about Cat 4 (or even 5/6!). Which piece(s) of equipment on that list do you think are excessive/unnecessary. You (or was it Jono?) seemed to imply earlier that a coded 5m rib would be dangerous and run into freeboard problems (and yet have maybe only 70 kg of extra kit on board?) - not that a 5m rib was actually unsuitable for the job at hand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
i will stand corrected but my understanding is that they don't code boats under 6m, can you imagine trying to get all that kit on a 4.5/5m boat, it'll sink,
Sounds like you need a new surveyor.
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 January 2010, 18:53   #37
Member
 
biffer's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,848
all the surveyors work with the mca, if it gets refered to them the bucks stop with them not the surveyor. while looking through my posts you should have looked at the others where i said that because there are heavier 4 strokes on boats that use to have 2strokes on ,add to that all the kit and punters they would be unsafe. i find it hard to stow the kit on an 8.5m
we code boats so they can earn there keep, what's the point in putting all that kit on your 4m if you can't get any people on it, as you said yourself if it was viable and maybe raise the transom.
i would probaly say the liferaft is the the thing i would gripe about the most but since i have to have it it's there, but take into account that a lot of us have immersion suites or dry bags when offshore and it's very rare to sink a rib completely i don't think the raft is that important, i would like to know if anybody has ever needed to deploy a raft from a rib.
it's not that you couldn't put all that stuff on your boat and and get it coded it's laughable that you have even had this conversation about the possibity of doing it
__________________
biffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 January 2010, 19:38   #38
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
all the surveyors work with the mca, if it gets refered to them the bucks stop with them not the surveyor.
yes but you surely want a surveyor who is confident enough that they don't need to refer it to the MCA. Unfortunately the surveyor wants to cover his ass, and the MCA beaurocrat wants to protect his pension (which means not taking 'risks'). So as soon as you introduce any 'doubt' into the process you are innevitably going to get a negative answer. What you need to do is find a surveyor who has previously coded a rib to Cat 2 (and preferably one with a cabin rather than a wheelhouse). But one who knew the rules would be a good start!
Quote:
while looking through my posts you should have looked at the others where i said that because there are heavier 4 strokes on boats that use to have 2strokes on ,add to that all the kit and punters they would be unsafe.
I take your point about 4str sitting a bit stern heavier to start with. But your missing the point that the kit doesn't weigh that much (although it takes up space). In total it weighs less than a person - and as Jono described could mostly be put up the front, which will balance out the engine a little.
Quote:
i find it hard to stow the kit on an 8.5m
we code boats so they can earn there keep, what's the point in putting all that kit on your 4m if you can't get any people on it, as you said yourself
But if you read the title of the thread - you'll see its not about packing paying punters on - then a bigger boat would undoubtedly make more sense anyway. if your boat brings in income from workboat/safetyboat stuff then actually size isn't everything, and it probably spends most of its life with only 2 people on board.
In fact I think the OP has at least one 'small' boat which is coded under local authority coding - presumably he sees a possible market opportunity - in being able to extend his coverage
Quote:
it's not that you couldn't put all that stuff on your boat and and get it coded it's laughable that you have even had this conversation about the possibity of doing it
is that a bit of back pedalling? cos you were the one saying it couldn't be done!
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 January 2010, 03:26   #39
Member
 
biffer's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
yes but you surely want a surveyor who is confident enough that they don't need to refer it to the MCA. Unfortunately the surveyor wants to cover his ass, and the MCA beaurocrat wants to protect his pension (which means not taking 'risks'). So as soon as you introduce any 'doubt' into the process you are innevitably going to get a negative answer. What you need to do is find a surveyor who has previously coded a rib to Cat 2 (and preferably one with a cabin rather than a wheelhouse). But one who knew the rules would be a good start!

unfortunately i do push it but if people like me didn't the mca would have us sailing around 3 miles offshore ih things like the mary rose, by all accounts i'm the first in the coutry who tried to cat2 a cabin rib

my boat does spend a lot of it's time with justme onboard that is true but it needs to be able to forfill a number of rolls as well, it gets used as a tow boat, i have a holiday home on an island, i've done some bits for the MOD and meridan tv and for the last 2years international sailing events and i stand a good chance at doing the olympic's, whati'm getting i at f you're building a boat for just one task thats great but someone always ask's you to do something else which the boat may not be suited for

is that a bit of back pedalling? cos you were the one saying it couldn't be done!
no back pedalling here you might be able to do it, where wouldy ou hang the navs and liferings, airiels radar, an a frame would be more weight, just think about it for a bit, you quoted all the kit but you also have all the normal stuff fuel tank 'seat pods, upholestry, console, people, personal kit, i still think it woulb be underwater
__________________
biffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 January 2010, 04:41   #40
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
no back pedalling here you might be able to do it, where wouldy ou hang the navs and liferings, airiels radar, an a frame would be more weight, just think about it for a bit, you quoted all the kit but you also have all the normal stuff fuel tank 'seat pods, upholestry, console, people, personal kit, i still think it woulb be underwater
navs? do you mean navigation lights - firstly I already have them fitted, (pole and cosole) secondly they are not actually required on a boat that operates cat 4/5/6 (daylight). Again there is only one VHF ariel required (and it could be a wee helicoil type taking up vitually no space) and then only on cat 4/5 not on 6. You're right an a frame would be the easy answer but it would add significantly more weight - right at the transom where you don't want it - not to mention that fitting my aux would be even harder although its not required for coding so I can bin it and save weight. But a little bit of "lateral thinking" I am sure you could fit the liferings on some sort of holder on the inside of the sponsons right at the trasom (its a space that is never used on my boat). or maybe? on holder mounted horizontally ontop of either the engine or the liferaft.

It quite simply will NOT be underwater. All that other stuff is already on my boat and would you believe it still floats. If my boat was so marginal that adding one more person (which is the amount you are talking about) would cause problems then I would agree it is unsafe - but its not. IIRC its CE marked for 6 adults (you need to be very friendly!). So if you code for say 4 then with the extra kit on board its still running 'lighter than this'. The point I was making when I asked Jono why he claimed it was dangerous is - that small boats owners here take them on extended cruises with camping gear, spare fuel, alchohol, etc on board in addition to almost all of the kit required for coding. No one suggests that those boats are dangerous, or likely to swamp.

My reason for "persisting" in this discussion with you - is that the information you posted was wrong (boats less that 6m CAN be coded). I think it would be wrong if your misinformation, which you made sound credible by claiming it was from the MCA, was to put anyone off considering coding a boat less than 6m. I'm not suggesting that if you were going to code a small boat that you would pick one thats just under 4m long - but if I could squeeze it through then - I am sure someone with a 5m boat would actually find it comparatively easy. However I think I've made my point so I'll stop - but I would still be interested to know why Mr Garton thinks it is dangerous.
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:16.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.