Old 06 August 2013, 01:13   #11
Town: Galway
Boat name: Top Banana
Make: Scorpion 9m
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 421STI
MMSI: Yeah right!
Quote from Skippy John
2. the Energy Clients want to see all skippers holding at least MCA STCW 95 Master (Code Vessel) <200gt and often build this level of CoC into the charter contracts

I endorse everything Skippy John says and particularly his point above.

Amongst other things I'm a commercially endorsed skipper but am predominantly shore-based these days as a site manager on new-build offshore wind farms.

I've just completed an 18 month contract on a new-build off the UK coast and am 5 days into a new project working out of Denmark on a project in German waters and amongst other things, I control the supply/crew boats so I have a handle on this....

The relevant qualifications are just the start. More improtant than anything is the attitude; there are some absolutely brilliant skipers I've had the pleasure to work with but these guys are in high demand and their employers look after them very well (albeit not quite to the 80k mark mentioned in one of the posts!). I'm afraid to say however that there is a steady stream of people holding the correct tickets who, for one reason or another, struggle to come to terms with the highly regulated, health & safety driven culture, with its attendant paperwork and reporting procedures. I also have to say that there are many people in the industry who will be responsible for tasking and controlling you who will see you as nothing more than a taxi driver!

I also have to say that the projects are moving further offshore and this involves generally larger supply and crew transfer vessels that are working 24 hours a day. That means two crews doing 12 hour shifts, staying aboard the 'mother ship' when off duty and frequently staying offshore for 7 days before coming in to collect bunkers and head back out again.

This puts strain on vessels and crews alike; stuff breaks, people struggle to deal with the relentless nature of the work and many people are simply not cut out for it.

Yes, there are days when you can hook up to a tower, get the fishing rod out and enjoy the sunshine but they are few and far between. More likely is the need to ride out a weather system, getting 'mullered' whilst maintaining station as the designated emergency response vessel, whilst looking enviously at the 15,000 ton mother ship sitting relatively untroubled nearby.

It's not everyone's cup of tea but on the other hand, the industry will always welcome suitably qualified skippers who can add value to the project, not just drive a boat.
Barrowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 August 2013, 01:52   #12
Trade member
Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
I know personally two ex skippers and they both told me about the excessive hours they were expected to work - they know all about the rules and it's why they quit in the end but they did work much longer hours than the rules allowed under pressure from the employers - I am only saying this is only to warn potential crew that it happens regardless of the regulations.
Originally Posted by Zippy
When a boat looks that good who needs tubes!!!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 August 2013, 05:02   #13
Make: humber
Length: 6m +
we've been skippering/crewing windfarm boats for the same company for over 5 years . The 11 hours of rest are observed -now- but not always in the past. To succeed in this industry life must revolve around the boat. Its no problem to us, boats, tides and weather have always ruled our lives. And yes they do look after us extremely well. You also need to be a people person - our regular passengers are our friends and colleagues. But at around 175-200 per day for a skipper and doing ONLY as quoted 2 on and 2 off then your looking in a best case scenario at circa 200x15 =3K PER MONTH OR 36K PA
dally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 August 2013, 06:29   #14
Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
I thought 500 a day was a good rate for driving a boat. Commercial boat work has always been based around 12 hour days since I can remember and split shifts somettimes. So theres usuually a work around
Here it comes again, I don't stand a chance
Soul possession, Got me in a trance
Pullin' me back to you - Deja Voodoo
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 August 2013, 06:25   #15
Town: Hoylake, Wirral
Boat name: no name
Make: n/a
Length: no boat
Engine: n/a
MMSI: n/a
I must agree totally with Dally as he has it spot on.

I am aware that in the past there were 'companies' requiring crews to work excessive hours however this doesn't happen very much now at all. I am aware that when the clients representative boards to undertake an audit they require the 'hours sheets' of the crews to be produced. I believe they then pop ashore and check with the marine Coordinators log to see what times the vessels have been operational. when one doesn't match the other then they will take action!!!

From my experience the vast majority of WFTV Operators now understand that this is no longer a 'cottage industry' but a huge operation that is governed by many laws, regulations and requirements that the operators must comply with otherwise they will lose contracts or be put off hire which, I can assure you, is an extremely expensive experience to any operator.
Skippy John @ Hoylake
Skippy John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 August 2013, 09:32   #16
Town: Great Yarmouth
Length: 10m +
I work for a company that has a growing fleet of DNV classed WFSV's. Minimum CoC for skippers is MCA Master 200 and the Mates have either this CoC or have OOW Unlimited. We work under full ISM too. To work in some of the European flag state Countries the crew have to have STCW certs, especially Germany, having recently had a port state inspection over there I can confirm that they went through the crews certs with a fine tooth comb. For 2 on and 2 off on a crew transfer vessel you will get no where near 80k pa. with Master 200 minimum you can almost half that expectation. Don't forget, you don't get paid for your 2 weeks off.

AndyLink is offline   Reply With Quote