Old 02 February 2012, 03:19   #31

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
They ought to employ you that's is a very good recommendation What would be one of the most useful bits of information that you got from your 2 days that you could put into operating a rib charter better

sent from a remote device

Old 02 February 2012, 04:45   #32

Length: 7m +
Send a message via Skype™ to passbhoy
the guys from FRC have changed our views on a number of important issues. We already adhere to a very thorough boatworking safey document and as a result of this we will be rewriting some of our procedures and we are setting up a whole body vibration sub committee to look at this evolving subject. we will be changing things such as safety breifings, driving styles, awareness etc and lastly shock mitigating measures. i know there are a few cynics on here but i will be advising colleagues in other agencies to look into this area.

Old 02 February 2012, 05:05   #33

I'm glad you can see an opportunity here apart from good seats the rest seems like common sense
I'm squarely in the cynic camp I'm afraid and rewriting safety manuals and understanding how vibration affects you won't make you a better skipper in my opinion. Common sense and safety at sea is always the goal but having all these bits of paper does in some cases make skippers feel like they're superman. The kryptonite is some real bad weather knowing you've still got to go anyway. That sorts them out

Old 02 February 2012, 05:11   #34

this course did not make us skippers feel superhuman, quite the opposite, it opened our eyes to many dangers and has made us very aware of many paramaters that could affect both the skipper and crew, i would call that better safety at sea and therefore better skippers and crew
Old 02 February 2012, 05:17   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by passbhoy
this course did not make us skippers feel superhuman, quite the opposite, it opened our eyes to many dangers and has made us very aware of many paramaters that could affect both the skipper and crew, i would call that better safety at sea and therefore better skippers and crew
Like what? Enlighten us

Old 02 February 2012, 05:43   #36

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
Like what? Enlighten us

I'm guessing things like ...and wait to be shocked....

Boat Speed
wave size
helming style
seating position & layout
Posture

So , like Biff , call me cynical ,but all the things your think about anyway ?

If there are some 'gems' of info out out there please just tell us instead of just alluding to them ?
Old 02 February 2012, 06:02   #37

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
Old 02 February 2012, 06:13   #38
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Boat name: Gemineye
Make: Ribeye S850 charter
Engine: 300hp
MMSI: 235097445
Interesting that everyone who attends gains out of inputs. I agree that most is common sense but the legislation is what I did not know .
Operationally I see little change but briefings will Change and those who work for me will be additionally trained.
My view as a business is that knowing legislation will help me protect me, crew and clients.
We all hope no ones becomes part of any claim or accident enq, but if this happens those who have legislation knowledge will I hope be able to show we considered and took actions.
Old 02 February 2012, 06:30   #39

Guys as cynics its not up to me to "convert" you, but as an organisation 45 of us attended and found it very worthwhile, the only way you will find something that may help you is to attend the course for yourself and quiz the experts on any issues you have on WBV.
Old 02 February 2012, 06:50   #40

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Having worked for the original thread starter and discussed it at length with him and others I agree this always need to be a major consideration, however I think I fall into the camp of it should really already be part of what anyone thinks when they take a commercial (or any) boat out .

As I work in both the medical & liability insurance fields I am very familiar with the claims culture this stuff can leads. There is however some great case law around how the risk of doing anything should not outweigh the 'cultural benefit' of actually doing it. - or something like that.

Common sense does dictate that being rattled around for 10+ hours a day will give rise to problems of one kind or another. We do what we can to minimise the problems for crew and passengers. While I am sure there are 'gems' of info you seem reluctant to give any that we may all have an ' oh I understand now' moment - this is surely what we would all look for and benefit from.

The measurements as I understand have not been ( un until now ) considered for a marine enviroment & when they have it its been clear we smash through the limits in seconds.

When you consider what can be done to help - for example seats..if when you need to have shock mitigating seating you are not actually better off stood up I'd be stunned. What do we all do when it gets rough ? ....Slow down & or stand up I expect is everyones answer. Unless of course you are strapped to shock mitigating seat...

If all fast boats had to be equipped with such ( due to some bit of legislation) then there wont be any boats going out there at all as its just not cost effective. Of course these aren't shock removing ...its just mitigation... the shock etc is still there just better controlled & still has the potential to hurt/ injure. So where do we go when someone is strapped in but still hurts themself ? Sue the seat manufacturer ....its just an endless cycle.

What 'we' do carries an inherant risk, it is in my view as simple as that...am I cynic or realist ? maybe a bit of both ?