Old 21 March 2005, 04:07   #11

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
thanks Tim

Yep you can fix a puncture at sea, but I am not advocating training that in the PB2 I am just say give a link to a website that sells the stuff to fix trailers and other stuff like clamshells, stuff that it takes us months/ years to find out about

for example does anybody advise their students to take the vessell and get an RNLI sea safety check or should we not?

You know stuff that's free , is no skin off our nose but helps the boating cause in the long run nad maybe educates our students a little bit more.

A recomended Bibiography might be good, Solent Hazards, the previously mentioned books, boat maintenance that sort of stuff

Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2005, 07:43   #12

Town: Aylesbury/Lymington
Boat name: Farfetched
Make: Solent
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150hp Optimax
MMSI: 235021048
Clarify

Did two two days - one out of Medina - all in the river. Second out of Yarmouth - all to the West. No big ships....

Old 21 March 2005, 12:19   #13
Trade member

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave
thanks Tim

for example does anybody advise their students to take the vessell and get an RNLI sea safety check or should we not?

You know stuff that's free , is no skin off our nose but helps the boating cause in the long run nad maybe educates our students a little bit more.

A recomended Bibiography might be good, Solent Hazards, the previously mentioned books, boat maintenance that sort of stuff
Loads of freebies from the RYA and MCA . Sea check yes Solas v Lifesaving signals engine checks , lifejackets the list is huge.
Any thing that you feel is worth recommending to students is good ,the list of books available is comprehensive from Motors to hazards.

Bruce i am sorry you did not know about the hazards i have no experience of Medina Valley and how they run , if your other school does not operate in the central Solent then can understand why it was not covered, one thing though from this, i think all Instructors reading these forums must have questioned themselves as to what they do include in their courses, so some good has come of it. You were very unfortunate but extremely brave in owning up to your mishaps, lessons have been learned by yourself and others don@t be put off . I imagine the offers of help have come flooding in from various people / schools .