Old 03 August 2014, 12:43   #21

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
NO. The max that the doctor can claim for writing you a letter that says you have a sore neck has dropped to £180 from £700, ...
Ah, yeah. I had Mrs M in the other ear kicking off about a gone off egg that had gone in the pan a wrecked the others.

Maybe the meds will be less keen to be bothered?
Old 03 August 2014, 15:58   #22

Length: 9m +
Thanks guys for the replies, it is just a basic waver for passengers to sign to say they have acknowledge the T&C and don't suffer from any listed medical conditions or others that could cause a problem, and have listened to and understood the safety briefing, once I have managed to write it up I will have a legal check it over for good measure. It just makes it so much easier to work from a template so thats why I was asking if any one knew of one or would be kind enough to share one they had used.

Unfortunately with this no win no fee culture it vitally important to cover as many angles as one can, this is not anything my insurance company has insisted on, its just another peace of mind. While it is possible if there was a problem it would not stand up in court I don't believe it would be a negative thing to show along with operations plans, risk assessments etc.

When I manage to write it up and get it checked, if any one would like a copy to use a reference feel free to ask.
Old 03 August 2014, 16:47   #23
RIBnet Supporter

If they're not waiving anything, then it's not really a waiver...
Old 03 August 2014, 16:50   #24
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
PM sent.

This will be a general doc we get clients to sign about disclosure of medical conditions and the fact they have been received a safety briefing covering most things from correct posture, lifejackets and emergencies. These were formatted by insurers and have proved their worth for paying clients
Old 03 August 2014, 17:52   #25

Town: swanage
Make: Thundercat
Engine: Tohatsu 50
For the kayak hire in our business we had our technical advisor look over it. It basically contains boundaries, safety/emergency procedures, responsible for own safety etc & sign at the bottom with contact details to agree that they've signed their lives away
Old 03 August 2014, 18:02   #26

Town: Galway
Boat name: Top Banana
Make: Scorpion 9m
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 421STI
MMSI: Yeah right!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2 RIBS View Post
PM sent.

This will be a general doc we get clients to sign about disclosure of medical conditions and the fact they have been received a safety briefing covering most things from correct posture, lifejackets and emergencies. These were formatted by insurers and have proved their worth for paying clients
Brings to mind the mayhem that ensued when one of our clients decided to move from a position of simply getting people to watch the corporate project induction video (and then sign to the effect they'd seen it) to the introduction of a simple ten-question, multiple choice, test handed to everyone immediately after watching the film and designed to check how much of the film had actually been understood?

Anyone not getting all ten questions correct had to sit through the 40 minute film again before having another go at the test. If they still didn't get them all correct, they were up the road.

As I said, mayhem ensued for a couple of weeks.
Old 03 August 2014, 18:45   #27

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Not sure
Make: ABC/Priddy
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 500 FPT
Don't drive like a tit and show off how high the boat can fly. Airplanes fly and boats float. Driven properly there is no reason that anyone should get injured. I have seen some very bad "proffesional" drivers down here on the south coast. One in particular caused a very bad accident by driving at my two sons jet ski. Needless to say he doesn't oporate in this area anymore!
Alan P
Old 03 August 2014, 19:48   #28
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
Very few operators we see with will go out until a full safety brief has been completed and within this is a document to sign which has been formatted through most insurance companies.

As a point of interest The PCA ( Professional Charter Association) are presently working towards an operators forum on safety for RIB operators. We are looking at best practice and safety briefs and docs presently used and will be aiming for a best practice doc for use with MCA support outside the MGNs

We are seeing an increase in no win no fee ambulance chasing solicitors looking at the marine industry. As for no injury if helmed correctly I am not so sure as we can show people fail to disclose injuries and operations even when asked which can result in a shock injury claim. The written doc is a good way forward to allow operators and skippers a format to ensure they can ask all relevant questions and record it had been done.. We had one today who did not travel when we put more detail into boat operations due to a back condition.

Any sensible operator will use all tools available to ensure they remain safe and without claims
Old 04 August 2014, 15:38   #29

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerny View Post
The only people I blame for this compensation claiming culture are the Lawyers who are making mega dosh.
Actually, I blame the people who claim which is errr... the great unwashed
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote