Old 19 March 2012, 23:10   #1

Town: Isle of Skye
Boat name: Seafari - VHF CH 71
Make: Humbers+Catamaran
Length: 6m +
Engine: Volvo/Iveco/Suzuki
Went to look at a ribeye

went with a friend today (because i was asked for my wonderful opinion) to look at an 8m ribeye -- supposedly coded for 12.

Just as well we were in his car as it was faster 0 -- 60 to do a runner from, than my pick up ,, thank god....

What do they use for glue ? tree sap... what is used for fibreglass -- the crunchy outer bit on a toffee apple i thought on the way home.

Prove me wrong if you can,,, but the only way you would sell one of them for commercial work is if you were wearing a balaclava and were aiming a semi automatic hand gun at you....

Pete
Old 19 March 2012, 23:16   #2

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by seafariskye View Post
went with a friend today (because i was asked for my wonderful opinion) to look at an 8m ribeye -- supposedly coded for 12.

Just as well we were in his car as it was faster 0 -- 60 to do a runner from, than my pick up ,, thank god....

What do they use for glue ? tree sap... what is used for fibreglass -- the crunchy outer bit on a toffee apple i thought on the way home.

Prove me wrong if you can,,, but the only way you would sell one of them for commercial work is if you were wearing a balaclava and were aiming a semi automatic hand gun at you....

Pete
Old 19 March 2012, 23:25   #3

Town: Milford Haven
Boat name: Makaira
Make: Forge Marine
Length: 7m +
Engine: BMW 50HP
Old 20 March 2012, 07:25   #4

Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Engine: Yam 150
Tree sap and toffee are much kinder to the environment than conventional building materials and Ribeye have made them work very well for them, so much so that they last well and hold their price better then most other brands.
Old 20 March 2012, 09:37   #5

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
If it was older than 7 years & had the stainless tram lines running down the deck I’m not surprised as the quality from this era was a bit hit or miss! I believe a lot changed in 2005 with changes to manufacturing & design.
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2012, 13:19   #6
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by seafariskye View Post

Pete

POPCORN watchers-
Pete, I have thought a little whether your views should be replied to, as I try to steer clear of personal thoughts on "the best boat" "the best RIB" as I have seen many comments from ribnet users who have strong opinions on a variety of RIBs and nothing I could do or say would change their minds and this is their right and I would not challenge personal views.

The issues you raise would also concern me if I saw any boat that appeared unfit for use in any format- you have singled out commercial use and as you will see/know I operate RIBs commercially based on the Solent (so not big seas as I would expect you to experience of Skye). I also do not know where your friend intended to operate or in which commercial arena.

I have used their boats commercially for seven years and each RIB has been inspected and coded to MCA agreed standards by a very well qualified surveyor who is presently the lead in the surveyors association.

I note you went along with a friend to view an 8 metre RIBEYE- Ribeye to my knowledge dont make an 8 metre Ribeye or was that just a generalisation?

I will of course accept that there are good boats used for commercial/charter and the users generally selects a model/make to suit their environment and of course the use requirement. I would hope the craft you inspected was a poor example but to generalise is a shame as you will see that all craft have good and bad examples and certainly the ones I am using have been exemplary for my charter operations. As a member of the Professional Charter Association PCA I am also involved in promoting good practice and safety for everyone involved in charter work (yachts, Cruisers, RiBS) and I was even present yesterday to help a colleague collect a new 785 Ribeye which will be used for charter operations on the south coast.

I also identified a recent ad that had a Ribeye involved http://www.rib.net/forum/f8/anyone-on-here-46886.html- that RIB was an old boat and in my opinion was no longer fit for commercial work so I am not biased to one make despite liking and enjoying the boats I use almost daily.

The team at Ribeye have in my opinion remained professional and are continually developing craft from feedback given. Perhaps if the craft you inspected has these horrendous problems then please communicate to Ribeye so maybe they can have a voice here.
Old 20 March 2012, 21:34   #7

RIBase
Old 20 March 2012, 22:01   #8

Town: west mids /tywyn
Boat name: HAWK
Make: RIBCRAFT/ Suzuki 250
Length: 7m +
Engine: Tohatsu 3.8/15hpsuzi
MMSI: 235086594
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerny View Post
You won't need a LJ or BA with all the popcorn you eat you
B.S. LEADER
tony t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2012, 22:06   #9

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony t View Post
You won't need a LJ or BA with all the popcorn you eat you
Best thing is ... it's free
Old 20 March 2012, 22:51   #10

Also eagaerly awaiting a reply @ C2 Ribs that is a very honest and valid opinion,we all have favourites but in fairness "popcorn" or not please be true and honest with no biased involved.
Old 20 March 2012, 23:12   #11

Town: Bangor, Co Down
Boat name: Ribeye & Tremlett 15
Make: Ribeye & Tremlett 15
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha F40, Merc 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2 RIBS View Post
POPCORN watchers-
Pete, I have thought a little whether your views should be replied to, as I try to steer clear of personal thoughts on "the best boat" "the best RIB" as I have seen many comments from ribnet users who have strong opinions on a variety of RIBs and nothing I could do or say would change their minds and this is their right and I would not challenge personal views.

The issues you raise would also concern me if I saw any boat that appeared unfit for use in any format- you have singled out commercial use and as you will see/know I operate RIBs commercially based on the Solent (so not big seas as I would expect you to experience of Skye). I also do not know where your friend intended to operate or in which commercial arena.

I have used their boats commercially for seven years and each RIB has been inspected and coded to MCA agreed standards by a very well qualified surveyor who is presently the lead in the surveyors association.

I note you went along with a friend to view an 8 metre RIBEYE- Ribeye to my knowledge dont make an 8 metre Ribeye or was that just a generalisation?

I will of course accept that there are good boats used for commercial/charter and the users generally selects a model/make to suit their environment and of course the use requirement. I would hope the craft you inspected was a poor example but to generalise is a shame as you will see that all craft have good and bad examples and certainly the ones I am using have been exemplary for my charter operations. As a member of the Professional Charter Association PCA I am also involved in promoting good practice and safety for everyone involved in charter work (yachts, Cruisers, RiBS) and I was even present yesterday to help a colleague collect a new 785 Ribeye which will be used for charter operations on the south coast.

I also identified a recent ad that had a Ribeye involved http://www.rib.net/forum/f8/anyone-on-here-46886.html- that RIB was an old boat and in my opinion was no longer fit for commercial work so I am not biased to one make despite liking and enjoying the boats I use almost daily.

The team at Ribeye have in my opinion remained professional and are continually developing craft from feedback given. Perhaps if the craft you inspected has these horrendous problems then please communicate to Ribeye so maybe they can have a voice here.

looking at an old brochure & price list ( 2005 valid from 1st Nov 2004 ) has listed a sports 800 ( 8m ) max power 250hp in brochure & 300hp on price list ?? 10 people

a happy Ribeye owner.....
T 15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2012, 09:27   #12

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Also eagaerly awaiting a reply @ C2 Ribs that is a very honest and valid opinion,we all have favourites but in fairness "popcorn" or not please be true and honest with no biased involved.
I'm only messing with the popcorn it's just that this sort of thread pops up quite often and to be fair most Ribeye owners defend the quality and ability of these ribs very strongly..... after all ...they all can't be wrong
Old 21 March 2012, 10:42   #13

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Quote:
Originally Posted by T 15 View Post
looking at an old brochure & price list ( 2005 valid from 1st Nov 2004 ) has listed a sports 800 ( 8m ) max power 250hp in brochure & 300hp on price list ?? 10 people

a happy Ribeye owner.....
Yep could be one of these & if it is it will be getting on abit!
Ribeye, Ribeye Sports RIBS - EOL, Ribeye Sports 800 for sale, Boats for sale, Used boat sales - Apollo Duck
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2012, 12:49   #14

Town: southampton
Make: ribeye
Engine: 140 suzuki
Not this same old 'have a go at Ribeye' again. Whatever your boat, it really doesn't matter a toss, just getting out onto the water and enjoying it is all that matters.
This, IMHO is what it's all about.........

http://www.rib.net/forum/attachment....1&d=1334407557
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PA043010.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	262.6 KB
ID:	67146   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA193068.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	67147  
Old 14 April 2012, 17:35   #15

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
my views on Ribeye's are very much in line with the OP's I certainly wouldn't be buying one for commercial work or for any other purpose for that matter.

Having said all that my son who knows so much more about ribs than myself (Honestly) thinks the are great boats and wont hear a word said against them!

But then he gets paid quite well to fix them and they certainly keep him busy!
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2012, 18:43   #16

Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Engine: Yam 150
Love 'em or hate 'em, they're popular. The hard at Chichester Marina full of A600's, it's like a ribeye carpark, same story with the moorings in the harbour, they're everywhere. I expect they are so poplar because they make such a good fame boat which at the end of the day is what most people want.