Old 16 June 2005, 13:40   #11
Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
My undestanding of the situation is as folows:

A coded rib is not a commercial vessel, it is a rib that has been approved by the MCA to carry fare paying passengers.

A commercial vessel and it can be a rib has to have seating for a minimum of twelve and then needs to be qualified under a different part of the code which is much stricter and requires more frequent inspection ( the same as ferries and Liners).

I don't believe you can be coded for more passengers/crew than you have seats for.

please let me know if I am wrong as Zero rating is a lot less hassle than VAT returns

Here it comes again, I don't stand a chance
Soul possession, Got me in a trance
Pullin' me back to you - Deja Voodoo
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2005, 03:11   #12
Town: Barmouth
Boat name: Blue Marlin
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo 2X
MMSI: 235020218

From memory, the Customs and Excise notice (744a?) refers to vessels having 10 seats or more, and it being used commercially, rather than it being defined as a 'commercial vessel'.

The accountant I spoke to compared it to a taxi van - you can buy a 12 seat Land Rover and pay VAT, but operate it as a taxi and you can get zero VAT rated (i.e pay no VAT on the vehicle, and charge no VAT to you customers).

The difference appears a bit pedantic, but I'm going to try and go this route (with the RIB!!) - so I'll let you know how I get on......

DGR is offline   Reply With Quote