Old 20 September 2010, 17:42   #11
RIBnet admin team

Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
If you do want to offer bareboat then I'd suggest you need to be taking a sizeable deposit on a credit card.......
You'll find that most of the car hire (and the large sailing yacht charter fleet) companies are taking an increasingly draconian approach - e.g. I believe Sunsail take a 2000 deposit
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Next time say sure thing, quote 'em a high price and forget it...
This is kinda what I meant - he'll NEVER do any business but he says friends with the lads and doesn't have to say "no"...

... or "fcuk off!"

Which is always good

Old 20 September 2010, 18:07   #12
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
This is kinda what I meant - he'll NEVER do any business but he says friends with the lads and doesn't have to say "no"...

... or "fcuk off!"

Which is always good
I'm not sure that's what I meant - if you don't want to give him the boat you just say no (easy enough to make up an excuse if you don't want to offend - but after this I'd say sorry you mucked us about last time)

However the point I was trying to make was that people whos core business is Bareboat will not only charge a booking deposit, but also a hefty security deposit which is not at all unreasonable. But also whilst chancers will be priced out by the "last minute premium" those with a genuine urgent need will happily pay the premium to fulfill their need.
Old 20 September 2010, 18:16   #13
RIBnet admin team

Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
I'm not sure that's what I meant - if you don't want to give him the boat you just say no (easy enough to make up an excuse if you don't want to offend - but after this I'd say sorry you mucked us about last time)
Ah, no, I meant lotsa wee fish in the same commercial pond. Who do you wanna fall out with, when you might need a boat/skipper/whatever in short order next week?

I'm very self sufficient in my business dealings but wary of falling out with my local competitors over pure hubris. They often ask for unreasonable favours and I try to dodge 'em, but you have to look to the day that you might need them. Anyways, real life enemies aren't worth the candle. I'd softsoap them every time...
Old 21 September 2010, 03:09   #14

Town: Plymouth
Length: 10m +
The most important lesson we learned (the hard way!) is that a booking is never confirmed until you have the customer's card details for the charter fee. It is always the customers who want to pay on the day that mess you around as they know they have nothing to loose.

Michael
SW Boat Transport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2010, 03:45   #15

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
i'm back!, it's not so much a code of practice as a gut feeling, if you think they're taking the piss, tell them, you might lose the charter but usually they know they're pushing it and it wont do any damage in regards of them trying again but with a better respect for you
Old 21 September 2010, 10:22   #16
Redbay supporter

Town: onn de moov
Boat name: bote
Make: kevvin
Length: 4m +
Engine: jett dryve
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250kts View Post
So what should I do in future?
downt deel wiv snaiks (3.5ft)

wiLf
Old 21 September 2010, 14:14   #17
RIBnet supporter

Town: South Coast
Length: 7m +
Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond either via a post, PM, email or call.

Needless to say I am older & wiser and knew the good folk on here would come through.

Onwards on upwards, up the learning curve

Steve
Old 21 September 2010, 14:36   #18
Trade member

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
Never do bareboat have got stung on that a couple of times by so called mates. Alway's with your skipper/instructor and alway's with a 50% deposit up front, oh and make sure fuel is either included in the fee or excluded as you may have to travel to the charter and this can add to your overall cost.
Ta Tim
Old 22 September 2010, 03:44   #19

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
i always get paid in full on a private charter, i've had it in the past where i took a party to brighton and they all went to a club in london and didn't come back
Old 22 September 2010, 15:52   #20
Trade member

Town: Glasgow
Make: Tornados etc
Length: 6m +
Engine: O/B
Yeah totally agree with most of the guys here, fatal to lend boats to anyone mates or whatever NO ONE takes care of your boats the way you would. It's human nature. "It's not mines so I will hammer it" etc... No one is as careful as yourself about that "nudge" against the pontoon or keeping the revs to a decent cruising speed.

In the past I used to lend out boats freely but after a succession of damaged components including where the culprit/s just walked away and said nothing about it , including a blown engine it all changed. That makes me so angry when the person doesnt even have the decency to tell you what damage they have done to your boat.

If any mates ask to borrow any boat now i just say to them..."Would you lend me your tools for your work for for a day or so?" I explain that the boats are my tools of the trade and without them i'm stuck

I get quite a number of calls asking for bare boat hire and I tell them that we need a 5000 deposit, that usually "stifles" the conversation. When they ask why so expensive I tell them that unlike when you hire car which is quite tracable a boat can disappear into thin air and there is little the police can do to trace it.

Telephone 0141 221 1070 info@seaforce.co.uk
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote