Old 13 August 2008, 21:23   #21

Town: Weymouth
Length: no boat
as others have said MCA can board any commercial vessel but wont board large vessels under way.
I asked one MCA surveyor why the QEII isn't boarded while underway as coded boats can be for general inspections. Was told that is something completely different.
The QE needs inspecting to check they are following the laws as are coded boats so why the different inspection schedules. Larger vessel, more people, more risk, you know what I mean.

Also if the surveyor was rude, then in this modern age of customer satisfaction, report him to the powers that be.

Think it is a case of speed camera syndrome, Large number of people passing so more chance of catching that cowboy operator
same happened with me during the tall ships race in 2000
Old 17 August 2008, 21:22   #22
CJL

Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
Sorry gents but I must disagree.

Its extremely bad form to be boarding boats whilst customers are on board.

The Met Police and VOSA do not board buses or coaches when they have passengers on board as it inconviencies the companies and the passengers.

When we stop HGV's we do it as fast as reasonably possible and in some cases just issue a "producer" so it can be sorted in the next 7 days.

Why oh why do the MCA not implement such a system?? If they are heavy handed and concentrate on events like Cowes, all they will do is lose the support of industry. Its just an easy hit for them.

Perhaps if the MCA put more effort into catching the 100% illegal operations, outside of cowes week then they are more likely to get more high risk operations off the water??

Chris
Old 17 August 2008, 22:22   #23
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
The Met Police and VOSA do not board buses or coaches when they have passengers on board as it inconviencies the companies and the passengers.
so I can drive a dodgy bus/coach round london so long as I keep some passengers on board? Surely you can see the issue there?
Quote:
When we stop HGV's we do it as fast as reasonably possible and in some cases just issue a "producer" so it can be sorted in the next 7 days.
I am sure you do, and I am sure the MCA are aiming to process boats as quickly as possible too so they can go check the next one. So this doesn't inconvenience the LGV driver/operator or the customer waiting for the delivery, like it might if it was a bus or coach. Of course is someone gets arsey I am sure that either the met or the MCA will not be quite so cooperative at getting you "on your way".
Quote:
Why oh why do the MCA not implement such a system??
well for a start there are much more effective ways of tracking the operator, vehicle or driver of an LGV/PCV than the skipper/owner of a random rib in the solent.
Quote:
If they are heavy handed and concentrate on events like Cowes, all they will do is lose the support of industry. Its just an easy hit for them.
presumably there are finding some irregularities if they do this year after year - otherwise the MCA management would be asking if they were just on a jolly.
Quote:
Perhaps if the MCA put more effort into catching the 100% illegal operations, outside of cowes week then they are more likely to get more high risk operations off the water??
so those guys don't work in cowes week, when the price and demand for boats is highest?
Old 17 August 2008, 22:26   #24

Town: East Sussex
Boat name: Bfor
Make: Jeanneau
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 3gm30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
so I can drive a dodgy bus/coach round london so long as I keep some passengers on board? Surely you can see the issue there?
I am sure you do, and I am sure the MCA are aiming to process boats as quickly as possible too so they can go check the next one. So this doesn't inconvenience the LGV driver/operator or the customer waiting for the delivery, like it might if it was a bus or coach. Of course is someone gets arsey I am sure that either the met or the MCA will not be quite so cooperative at getting you "on your way". well for a start there are much more effective ways of tracking the operator, vehicle or driver of an LGV/PCV than the skipper/owner of a random rib in the solent.
presumably there are finding some irregularities if they do this year after year - otherwise the MCA management would be asking if they were just on a jolly.
so those guys don't work in cowes week, when the price and demand for boats is highest?
Well said.
Old 18 August 2008, 09:05   #25

Town: Lymington
Boat name: rib-it
Make: Scopion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki 250
I think we could spend forever talking about the merits of The MCA and if they do a right job but one of the reasons for starting the thread was to try and come up with ways to help the MCA catch the boats which are not coded should they have a 24 hotline number or should there be a database for coded boats is there on already. ?
Old 18 August 2008, 09:18   #26
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonnud View Post
I think we could spend forever talking about the merits of The MCA and if they do a right job but one of the reasons for starting the thread was to try and come up with ways to help the MCA catch the boats which are not coded should they have a 24 hotline number or should there be a database for coded boats is there on already. ?
simon - yes it would make sense to have a centralised coding database if there is not already - but that will be difficult given that there are MCA and local authority coding schemes.

But it seems a few years ago the MCA were thinking along the same lines as you. http://nds.coi.gov.uk/Content/Detail...4&NewsAreaID=2 might be worth following that up.

In some other industries - organisations can join some "independent quality scheme" or "code of conduct" which often has the added benefit that the regulators will recognise those members as representing best practice and therefore focus most (but not all) of their efforts on other people. [Edit - but the downside of that is you need to show that you are internally and externally auditing yourselves to get the sort of recognition you are hoping for].
Old 18 August 2008, 17:58   #27

Town: Cowes
Boat name: if only you knew!
Make: n/a
Length: 10m +
Engine: large
polwart - think that is what i was trying to say early in the thread - if we dont self regulate then we will have to put up with whatever numpties who nothing about ops wish to impose on us...!!
Old 18 August 2008, 18:29   #28

Town: ramsgate
Boat name: Micki Dee Bee
Make: Ribcraft Seasafari
Engine: Twin 250hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235057235
Send a message via MSN to Jon Brooks
I think this is a good idea, if handled correctly, after all it helps protect those who are doing it by the numbers and weed out those that don't.

The only shame is that don't do it at more events.

At our recent "Ramsgate Week" I was made aware of at least two un-coded ribs being used for charter.
Old 19 August 2008, 07:51   #29

Town: Inverkip
Make: Redbay 11m Cabin
Engine: 2 x Yamaha422Sti 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Brooks View Post
At our recent "Ramsgate Week" I was made aware of at least two un-coded ribs being used for charter.
Did you do anything about it?
Andy
Old 19 August 2008, 08:15   #30

Town: Lymington
Boat name: rib-it
Make: Scopion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Gee View Post
Did you do anything about it?
Andy
Has anyone ever shopped somone in and if so did the MCA do anything about it or can you report to a harbour master
Old 19 August 2008, 08:55   #31

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Quote:
Has anyone ever shopped somone in and if so did the MCA do anything about it or can you report to a harbour master
The MCA/Eastleigh Council successfully procecuted Rupert Bonham-Smith for running a charter rib without any coding, the saga is on here if you do a search.

The MCA did have a voluntary list of coded vessels on there old website which responsible owners could apply to have there vessels added to if they wished. Picked up a few enquiries from the website as it gave a point of contact for the owner. However they have revamped the website so can't find it now.

Finally I noticed a poster in the Guardroom of Fort Blockhouse, Gopsort, the other day from the MCA with a contact phone number to report illegal charter boats.

Pete
Old 19 August 2008, 09:09   #32

Town: Inverkip
Make: Redbay 11m Cabin
Engine: 2 x Yamaha422Sti 275
Quote:
Yep,
Called it through to the enforcement branch at Southampton and they sent out a local surveyor who inspected the boat and issued a legal warning/caution that remains on the boat/skipper for 5 years.
Andy
Old 25 August 2008, 07:58   #33

Town: ramsgate
Boat name: Micki Dee Bee
Make: Ribcraft Seasafari
Engine: Twin 250hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235057235
Send a message via MSN to Jon Brooks
I have no problem with healthy competition but if someone is running without coding and the right insurance then I will and have reported it.

I and all the other people that do it right have invested a lot of money in our companies and I feel it is our duty to ensure that when some charters a boat then they are getting the right stuff.

Properly coded vessel carrying the right kit, properly qualiffied skippers and crew most of all the right insurance.

If someone else wants to invest the time money and effort to do it right in Ramsgate then the very best of luck to them. If they dont then I and the other commercial operators will be on their case!