RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikster View Post
.... and the coding is only as good as the day the ticket was signed and is often interpreted differently by all sorts of surveyors and indeed the MCA and councils.
ehh... is that not the purpose of the random inspections which you are not happy with - to ensure that the standards are being maintained all the time?

and if you think a relatively small number of surveyors interepret the rules differently then can you imagine with a plethora of individual skippers! It would be quite likely that the same boat could go out completely differently equipped on consecutive days.
Old 13 August 2008, 02:59   #12

Town: Cowes
Boat name: if only you knew!
Make: n/a
Length: 10m +
Engine: large
polwart - i work with them all the time - i have no problem with inspections...... but can certainly see your thought process on skippers views / interpretation etc..... maybe not such a bright idea!!

Old 13 August 2008, 03:48   #13

Town: Inverkip
Make: Redbay 11m Cabin
Engine: 2 x Yamaha422Sti 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikster View Post
However as with all legal requirements there are loopholes and grey areas..... should the skipper be commercial endorsed........most definately yes with no exception.... should the boat comply with coding requirements............mmmmmmmmm - you could lease the vessel for the day thereby exempt you from all requirements as it is then a private boat......
... that must be coded by the owner for bare boat charter and skippered by commercial endorsed person if carrying fee paying passengers.

I dont really know what the problem is, you code a boat with the correct equipment for the operating area, you ensure that the pre-operational check list is done before every charter and you make sure the skipper has the right ticket for area of operation .

We rarely see the MCA boat anymore and tend to get inspected in port, it really dosent matter if you have passengers on or not, like Polwart says you just explain to them that the inspection is being carried out for safety- no problem.

If you are running a legal operation then you should be welcoming random inspections, it shakes the monkeys out the tree and stops us going back 15 years when every Tom, Dick and Harry was running charter boats with no equipment on board or training.
Dont know why the Surveyor was threating to get the marine police as the surveyor has the power to board any coded/commercial vessel, including fishing boats at any time whether at sea or in port including Local Authority Licenced boat.

Andy
Old 13 August 2008, 04:29   #14

Town: Lymington
Boat name: rib-it
Make: Scopion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki 250
If you are running a legal operation then you should be welcoming random inspections, it shakes the monkeys out the tree and stops us going back 15 years when every Tom, Dick and Harry was running charter boats with no equipment on board or training.
Dont know why the Surveyor was threating to get the marine police as the surveyor has the power to board any coded/commercial vessel, including fishing boats at any time whether at sea or in port including Local Authority Licenced boat.

Andy [/QUOTE]

I aggree that inspections should take place all i am saying is they could be a little more pleasent about it.

I did not get inspected during cowes week and am only speaking on behalf of others.

Someone mention that as a tax payer you expect osprey to be working well as a tax payer and operator i would like to see more but not from osprey but from survayers on the dock inspecting boats befour they leave or when they get back. The MCA could have a survayor in main ports like Lymington Hamble Ocean Village etc and look for boats befour they go to sea that would be a much better way of spending the tax payers money.

On the subject of skippers taking more responsibilty then I still think it is up to the operator to keep the boats up together.

Also do the mca have the right to board any vessel again i am getting mixed information.
Old 13 August 2008, 04:41   #15
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonnud View Post
Also do the mca have the right to board any vessel again i am getting mixed information.
I am fairly confident that they do.

[Edit: http://www.opsi.gov.uk/ACTS/acts1995...021_en_18#pt10]
Old 13 August 2008, 05:28   #16

Quote:
On the subject of skippers taking more responsibilty then I still think it is up to the operator to keep the boats up together.
With out a doubt, however each skipper also has a responsibilty to ensure that they check the vessel before each passage.
Quote:
The MCA have the powers to board any commercial vessel at any time.

Andy
Old 13 August 2008, 06:02   #17

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Gee View Post
The MCA have the powers to board any commercial vessel at any time.
But if they're met with a, 'Feck off, you're not coming aboard my boat.' a bunch of burly policemen might be persuasive.
Old 13 August 2008, 08:03   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
But if they're met with a, 'Feck off, you're not coming aboard my boat.' a bunch of burly policemen might be persuasive.
Maybe,but by then "yer cards marked"

Andy
Old 13 August 2008, 11:58   #19

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Old 13 August 2008, 13:59   #20

Town: Cowes
Boat name: if only you knew!
Make: n/a
Engine: large
ok to simplify from my end - as someone that jumps from area to area all around the UK, and operating boats that are both council licensed & mca coded etc the onus is always on the skipper... irrespective of the operator / condition of the boat.....

anyway.......was only a brain fart......!! I seem to be the only one that see's a masive variation and condition of boats etc... however to be fair the work boats and offshore work vessels are worked hard compared to shiny ribs that never leave the solent and only do corporate work!!!