Old 30 April 2007, 11:58   #1

Town: West Sussex
Length: no boat
The Lulworth Cove "cowboy"

< EDIT: 5 July 2012 - Lulworth RIB Rides is now under new ownership and the cowboy has ridden off into the sunset! JK >

We had a fantastic picnic in Lulworth Cove and if you have not been there then worth a visit.

Spotted this operator who in one hour made 3 trips with a full boat load of passengers but no lifejackets for anyone and also could not see that the helmsman was wearing an attached kill cord. I am suprised that people make trips out to sea with so called "cowboy operator's"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4527 (Small).JPG
Views:	921
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	26455   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4532 (Small).JPG
Views:	853
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	26456   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4533 (Small).JPG
Views:	1191
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	26457   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4534 (Small).JPG
Views:	761
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	26458  
Old 30 April 2007, 12:59   #2

Town: Wilmslow
Boat name: Serotonin
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 15
That doesn't happen in Abersoch see this link: http://www.peninsularibs.co.uk/
Old 30 April 2007, 13:03   #3

Town: Cowes, Isle of Wight
Boat name: TiLT 2
Make: Avon Adventure 620
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 135
MMSI: 235032203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre View Post
We had a fantastic picnic in Lulworth Cove and if you have not been there then worth a visit.

Spotted this operator who in one hour made 3 trips with a full boat load of passengers but no lifejackets for anyone and also could not see that the helmsman was wearing an attached kill cord. I am suprised that people make trips out to sea with so called "cowboy operator's"
What an idiot.
Old 30 April 2007, 13:10   #4
RIBnet supporter

Town: West Wittering
Quote:

Crazy, what planet is he on? for starters no one is wearing life jackets, and in picture 3 even the two small kids up the front have no life jackets on. Also you have to wonder what are their parents thinking about too!!!. I wonder if he has a commercial ticket too!!!

As for not wearing a kill cord......
Old 30 April 2007, 13:41   #5

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Whilst it is common practice for passengers in Ribs to wear lifejackets is it a legal requirement? After all it IS law to carry lifejackets but that's about it. How many people wear a lifejacket on a cross channel ferry or on a fishing charter trip? Whilst there is not much need on the cross channel ferry there is far more call on a fishing trip.

As to the kill cord he MAY have one of those new wireless ones.......
Old 30 April 2007, 13:59   #6
Administrator

Town: Brighton
As far as I know it's a licencing requirement to carry lifejackets for all passengers, but there's no statutory requirement for them to be worn.

Depending on the conditions and nature of the trip, whether it's a responsible way to operate or not may be debatable but I'd suggest that it's not best practice. I think that most operators would make the assessment that permitting passengers to ride without life jackets presents an unacceptable risk.

John
Old 30 April 2007, 14:49   #7
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
I am suprised that people make trips out to sea with so called "cowboy operator's"
To be honest joe public won't even know what a kill cord is never mind the importance. If the operator doesn't ask/tell/suggest you need a life jacket I don't think it is reasonable to expect someone who has never been on a 9m rib before to see the need. After all they are not planning to go in the water - especially if they are sight seeing rather than on an extreeme ride.

Not suggesting for a minute that I think its a good idea or that I would have got on his boat... ...but why would his average passengers think anything of it?
Old 30 April 2007, 18:35   #8

Town: Penzance
Boat name: Shearwater
Make: Halmatic
Engine: 440hp diesel jet
As far as I am aware it is a coding requirement for paying passengers on a rib to wear lifejackets. The reason that passengers on fishing trip/traditional coastal cruising boats don't have to wear them is because those boats have rails all round to a specified height, which for those type of boats is a coding requirement.
Old 30 April 2007, 19:27   #9

Town: Mayfair, London
Make: RibEye/Ferretti 881
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha 25/Twin MTU
Codprawn, your comments give you much credit by not jumping to conclusions from a couple of photographs.

Sadly it's typical of certain self appointed Rib "traffic wardens" who seem take any opportunity to criticize someone or someones operation who is not known to them. Of course they know so much better.
Old 30 April 2007, 19:48   #10
JIY

Town: Largs
Boat name: Spitfire
Make: XS850
Engine: 2 x 200 Verado
MMSI: 235905304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunc View Post
As far as I am aware it is a coding requirement for paying passengers on a rib to wear lifejackets. The reason that passengers on fishing trip/traditional coastal cruising boats don't have to wear them is because those boats have rails all round to a specified height, which for those type of boats is a coding requirement.
This is not correct. The Practice for Small Vessels Coding (SCV) directs that a lifejacket is carried aboard for every passenger, it does not stipulate that the lifejacket has to be worn.

However, most "seafari" type operators prudently require all passengers to wear lifejackets aboard at all times. We would never carry any passenger that was not wearing one, even for a short, no thrills ride across the marina!
Old 30 April 2007, 19:53   #11

Town: West Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by timw View Post
Sadly it's typical of certain self appointed Rib "traffic wardens" who seem take any opportunity to criticize someone or someones operation who is not known to them. Of course they know so much better.
I would not call myself a "traffic warden" only think of all those who have heavily invested in running such businesses and ensure they are operated in a very professional manner where safety is a key issue. If one was to take your view then why code ribs and have the necessary qualifications ect.

I had first thought he was taking family and friends but later seeing the runs knew it was a "cowboy" style operation.
Old 30 April 2007, 19:58   #12

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Looks like a cowboy to me. He's got a Cowboy hat on !
Old 30 April 2007, 20:01   #13

Town: darlington
Boat name: GlennVinny
Make: Leeway 6.3
Engine: Mariner135v6/4hp aux
MMSI: 235038455
Quote:
I would not call myself a "traffic warden" only think of all those who have heavily invested in running such businesses and ensure they are operated in a very professional manner where safety is a key issue. If one was to take your view then why code ribs and have the necessary qualifications ect.

I had first thought he was taking family and friends but later seeing the runs knew it was a "cowboy" style operation.
Surely if anyone was taking family and friends for a blast, you would make everyone wear some sort of lifejacket? I for one wouldnt be able to handle the guilt if something happened to them. Let alone someone elses kids.....
Old 30 April 2007, 20:07   #14
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:

Having seen this 'operation' first hand I think the so-called 'traffic wardens' are right. No-one on board was wearing a lifejacket last year when I saw it either and they are advertised as fast rib rides...

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2007, 20:24   #15

You are calling what appears to be a business involving a RIB a "COWBOY OPERATION" on a public forum.

Despite what you might have observed, may I suggest that unless you work for the MCA or similar, you are not qualified to make these inflamatory remarks about someone's business even if common sense and your own experience dictate otherwise.

May I suggest you let others make up their own minds if they feel they can from a handful of rather poor quality photographs.
Old 30 April 2007, 20:24   #16

Town: Penzance
Boat name: Shearwater
Make: Halmatic
Engine: 440hp diesel jet
JIY
Read more carefully mate! I said 'As far as I am aware...' I thought it might be as you stated that they had to be carried but not necessarrily worn and for the record I was not judging anyone. People are free to run their business how they choose. However in my opinion it is a skippers responsibility to ensure his paying passengers are correctly equipped. I wonder if some peoples opinions would alter if an non swimmer not wearing a lifejacket was plunged into 11 degrees centigrade water and drowned. I also wonder what an insurance company would say if this accident occured. I would imagine they would not pay out. Not having read everyones small print on their insurance I am just imagining. Finally I also wonder how bad publicity would affect the rib charter industry as a whole if an accident ended in tragedy because lifejackets were not worn?
Dunc
Old 30 April 2007, 20:29   #17

Quote:
Despite what you might have observed, may I suggest that unless you work for the MCA or similar, you are not qualified to make these inflamatory remarks about someone's business even if common sense and your own experience dictate otherwise.
Oooh, so you have to get a bit of paper that proves you can discuss the relative safety merits of a powerboat operation? Just being an experienced water user and powerboat owner isn't enough? It's a shame really, but of course, if you work for the MCA, you must know better than anyone who just owns and drives a boat...

Tim, what qualifies you to call people on this forum traffic wardens? I'd quite like to see proof of your employment within perhaps an HR role, or at a Job Centre, or somewhere similar that means you are suitably equipped to pass judgement and typecast people as being of a traffic warden mindset. Until then, I'm afraid, you are clearly not qualified to pass judgement. Got to have a bit of paper these days.

**grabs tin helmet and ducks**
Old 30 April 2007, 20:33   #18
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
You are calling what appears to be a business involving a RIB a "COWBOY OPERATION" on a public forum.

May I suggest you let others make up their own minds if they feel they can from a handful of rather poor quality photographs.
Snobbery, ignorance and the common sense of natural yoghurt-and all in one post!

You're not a pepperami for the Sun are you?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2007, 20:38   #19

I simply don't like people passing judgement on somebody's business and possibly livelyhood in a public forum when they simply haven't got all the facts. That's all.
Old 30 April 2007, 20:43   #20

Quote:
I simply don't like people passing judgement on somebody's business and possibly livelyhood in a public forum when they simply haven't got all the facts. That's all.
And, to be brutally honest, I don't like you passing judgements on people's personality, and possibly also their business and livelyhood, in a public forum, when you clearly haven't got all the facts. If you don't like it, why not just leave them/us to it?