Old 17 July 2013, 08:17   #1

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
Stcw course question

I want to do the STCW95 5 day course. I've already done rya sea survival and first aid. Am I correct in saying that these are the equivalent to the relevant stcw elements? If so, is it more economical to just do the fire fighting and social responsibility or whatever it is on their own? If yes, do you need to get a final "ticket" based on the 4 separate elements? Again if so how do you get this is you did the 4 elements at different centres / times? Tried ringing several centres who were only keen on selling me the whole thing.
Old 17 July 2013, 08:26   #2

Make: Joker Booat
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 70
Best to call the MCA - STCW enquiries. Usually very helpful and are not trying to sell you a course. The direct number for STCW enquiries is 023 8032 9231.

Regs and courses change regularly so best to get the info from the horses mouth
Old 17 July 2013, 08:31   #3

Good advice, thanks. Will give them a call. I suspect for all the agro of trying to save a few quid it may be easier just to book a 5 day course!
Old 17 July 2013, 08:42   #4

Make: Joker Booat
Engine: Yam 70
Did mine years ago and did everything together at Warsash.

If you can spare the time its quicker and easier to get them out of the way in one go.
Old 17 July 2013, 12:46   #5

Town: Great Yarmouth
Length: 10m +
The rya courses are not the equivalent of the STCW basic courses I'm afraid so if you need/want the STCW courses then you will have to also do the first aid also.
Old 17 July 2013, 12:48   #6

Town: Great Yarmouth
Length: 10m +
Also, you can attend the courses separately, you will rx a completion cert for each one. There isn't an "overall" ticket. If you do the 5 day, you will still rx separate certs for each course.
Old 17 July 2013, 14:58   #7

Town: Zummerset
Boat name: irven arlyss
Make: Humber Oceanpro
Length: 6m +
Engine: evinrude 135hp
AFAIK the 5 day course is a refresher course required by STCW 2010 ammendments for persons revalidating their tickets after sailing at sea.

The original courses are still required if you have not completed them, and I dont think a 5 day course will cover all the syllabus. Best phone the MCA and ask what is needed, as already advised.
Old 17 July 2013, 18:44   #8

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Yoda & Obi Wan
Make: XS700
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 HP
Tim

Some ribnet errors above

You need training in the 4 areas. You can receive one cert for the whole lot or 4 separate certs (one for each one), it does not make a blind but of difference.

If you take the 5 day basic safety course the centre may choose to issue individual certs or one bit of paper, it is up to them how they do it. There is No requirement to hold a 5 day cert.

Your RYA First Aid is not considered equivalent

Your RYA sea Survival is considered equivalent by the MCA for many purposes, including becoming a Master 200 or an OOW 3000

TBH Your unlikely to get an accurate answer out of the MCA by phoning them, i know that sounds daft but there are millions of rules and regulations and you have to be pretty lucky to get the person that actually understands the implications of your question.
Old 17 July 2013, 19:02   #9

Town: Oban (mostly)
Make: Ribcraft, Humber,BWM
Engine: Outboards
Send a message via Skype™ to SeaSkills
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Stormforce View Post
TBH Your unlikely to get an accurate answer out of the MCA by phoning them, i know that sounds daft but there are millions of rules and regulations and you have to be pretty lucky to get the person that actually understands the implications of your question.
Sad but true. We've been on the receiving end of conflicting advice from 2 different MCA sources again in the past week
Tel; 07525 012 013
SeaSkills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2013, 08:48   #10

Town: Hoylake, Wirral
Boat name: no name
Make: n/a
Length: no boat
Engine: n/a
MMSI: n/a
Just to try and square the circle, as the saying goes, don't get mixed between the STCW 95 Basic Safety Courses and the Manila Review Revalidation requirements for some of the basic Safety Courses.

The Basic Safety Courses are;
  • Personal Safety & Social Responsibility; either a 1/2 or 1 day course
  • Personal Survival Techniques; a 1 day course
  • Elementary First Aid; a 1 day course
  • basic Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting; either a 2 1/2 or 3 day course
from 31st December 2016 any seafarer wanting to revalidate an STCW CoC at any level will be required to submit a certificate showing that their Safety courses are less than 5 years old or submit a certificate from a Training Provider showing that they have completed the "Manila Review 2010 Revalidation Courses" for the following;
  • PST and also Proficiency in Survival Craft & Rescue Boats; probably a 1 day course but awaiting confirmation of the syllabus for confirmation
  • Basic and Advanced Fire Fighting; probably a 1 1/2 day course but awaiting confirmation of the syllabus for confirmation
with effect from 31st December 2016 ALL seafarers will be required to be able to show in date Basic STCW Safety Certs or a certificate showing revalidation as per above should they be boarded by Port State Inspectors.

you will see that the first aid/medical type courses are NOT included in the Manila Review Revalidation requirements however the MCA do have a requirement laid out in one of their MGN's which clearly states that the Skipper/Captain must hold an appropriate qualification depending upon the area of operation and, if there is someone else in charge of the medical requirements on board, they should also hold the appropriate level of qualification. Interestingly the EFA has no expiry date but the Medical First Aid has a 3 year shelf life and Medical Care Aboard has a 5 year shelf life.

I hope that this helps everyone have an understanding of the STCW and MCA requirements.
Old 21 July 2013, 14:06   #11

Thanks for all the replies. Booked the 5 day course.
Old 24 July 2013, 20:36   #12

Sorry to borrow your thread tim! On a similar vein I need to renew my Rya first aid. Have the opportunity to do a heavily subsidised first aid at work 3 day course.
1 - Is this sufficient for Rya commercial endorsement purposes?
2 - is this equivalent to stcw first aid course?

Thanks Steve
Old 25 July 2013, 06:02   #13

Town: Hoylake, Wirral
Boat name: no name
Make: n/a
Engine: n/a
MMSI: n/a
Check out the RYA web site link http://www.rya.org.uk/SiteCollection...April%2013.pdf and see top of page 2 as this may well be the First Aid Certificate that you are talking about

I'm afraid that the HSE FA @ Work courses aren't considered to be equivalent to STCW 95 nor are they accredited by the MCA STCW 95

Hope the above helps