Old 04 May 2010, 13:21   #1
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
Shore based insurance

Having recently moved the boats to a new marina I intend using a storage facility which is effectively a locked shed in their secure pound with CCTV and 24hrs staff. Does anyone have an insurance company good for the cover of equipment, clothes, lifejackets and boat gear?
Unfortunately my boat insurance does not cover this and a quote from same brokers showed it very pricey for theft cover. Any ideas?
Old 04 May 2010, 15:02   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2 RIBS View Post
Having recently moved the boats to a new marina I intend using a storage facility which is effectively a locked shed in their secure pound with CCTV and 24hrs staff. Does anyone have an insurance company good for the cover of equipment, clothes, lifejackets and boat gear?
Unfortunately my boat insurance does not cover this and a quote from same brokers showed it very pricey for theft cover. Any ideas?
Can you not have this included in your general office policy (for computers, desks etc).?
Old 04 May 2010, 15:37   #3

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
when I did do what you do do I always used John at Fastnet insurance at Shamrock Quay. He was very good at sorting out extras for bolting on to the policy like training and towing etc.

I dont do what you do do nowadays but I still use John for my commercial boat insurance and training,towing and skippers liability
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 May 2010, 16:16   #4

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Worth the wait
Make: Parker
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard
PM sent
Old 04 May 2010, 16:31   #5
RIBnet supporter

Cheers for replies, 250 and I seem to have the same issues and same costs. I am still researching office cover and even home extra cover and will check other brokers as suggested.
Old 06 May 2010, 16:04   #6
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave View Post
when I did do what you do do I always used John at Fastnet insurance at Shamrock Quay. He was very good at sorting out extras for bolting on to the policy like training and towing etc.

I dont do what you do do nowadays but I still use John for my commercial boat insurance and training,towing and skippers liability
I followed this recommendation but they do not do this sort of cover, incidentally I called straight after you gave me the nod, the person was out of the office and was promised a call back after lunch two days ago, needless to say they did not call, I had to chase them.
Old 10 May 2010, 08:58   #7
RIBnet supporter

Continuing Saga

I have been in contact with all named persons for this cover including my insurers through Porthcawl who as usual have been very helpful. I had a very interesting conversation regarding Insurance for third party liability which is why shore based cover is so high. Presently the law is in favour of the scumbags who steal from us. If one breaks into my store and trips and breaks a leg he can sue me! The insurers have seen a rise in similar claims which is why we all suffer.
I asked the reason for water based and shore based cover being different, and found that the cover on water is easier to argue as providing we as operators have done all that is reasonable to reduce risks and injuries (i.e full briefings, knowledge of any passengers with injuries) and the person ignored our briefings/advice then the claim can be argued and lowered/dismissed.

One horrendous story was someone trying to sue an operator for an injury some months ago. In all honesty I do not know all names of passengers so will be changing my policy with a list for each run/days out etc. This came about with another scumbag making a claim for an injury on a RIB and luckily although no records were kept of passengers when the claim went to hearing the operator found that they were off the water on that day due to strong winds.

The broker has sent me a word doc which I will adopt to use which covers most and will lst every person for every trip. I had adopted a similar one but it was not deatiled eneough and meant someone could have claimed when I had no full record.
Interesting developments again despite trying to cover all angles I again will be closing loopholes
Old 20 May 2010, 07:18   #8

Town: Essex
Boat name: Cetacean Protector
Make: Plasteco Milano
Length: 5m +
Engine: 75hp
Which is why it's better to make your premises so that if someone enters, they die.
No running to the old bill complaining and sueing - black back, breeze blooks, Needles channel. Job done.
Allegedly.