Town: hythe, southampton
Boat name: Lepe Rescue 1
Make: Ocean dynamics
Length: 9m +
Engine: inboard jet
RYA inspection

Hi all

Just after a little advice.

We have an RYA inspection coming up soon and just after a few pointers to make sure that we go through it without any problems.
So if anyone would like to share experiences or any helpful advice would be most grateful .

Cheers

Rich
Old 05 May 2014, 19:53   #2

Length: no boat
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman View Post
Hi all

Just after a little advice.

We have an RYA inspection coming up soon and just after a few pointers to make sure that we go through it without any problems.
So if anyone would like to share experiences or any helpful advice would be most grateful .

Cheers

Rich
Hi Rich

You need to be bit more specific regarding your inspection. What are they inspecting, is it the boat, are you looking at coding and what sort of coding etc. Good place to ask though as there are many people on this forum who can help you.

Kind Rgds JB
Old 05 May 2014, 20:04   #3

Yeah sorry , I was in The middle of dinner !
Old 05 May 2014, 20:07   #4

We are having a full inspection of boat and the centre , we are only looking at the start to just teach level 1& 2 , the rib we are using is a 6.5m Humber destroyer , with a yam 90hp , I've ticked all the boxes with regards to boat ( I hope ) just wondering what peoples experiences have been in the past .
Old 05 May 2014, 22:44   #5

Town: St.Andrews
Boat name: Northstar II
Make: Humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: O/B Evinrude 115
Hi Iceman
Useful tip is to go onto RYA website & download Inspectors Report Form.
I`m not sure if that`s strictly advised however it`s a cast iron way to pass your inspection!
Northstar
Old 05 May 2014, 23:20   #6

Town: Rostrevor
Boat name: Ricochet
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Twin F115 Yams
MMSI: 235083269
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar View Post
Useful tip is to go onto RYA website & download Inspectors Report Form.
Iceman should already have this form and made sure that the first two pages are fully completed prior to the arrival of the RYA Centre Inspector

Quote:
I`m not sure if that`s strictly advised
It is most certainly advised

Quote:
However it`s a cast iron way to pass your inspection!
If only it were that simple

The only cast iron way to pass is to meet all the requirements of the RYA Recognition Guidance Notes
Old 06 May 2014, 02:37   #7

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
If only there was an inspector who was a member here!

My experience is if the boat is obviously msintained and properly equipped and intrisicly seaworthy the boat will get through

IM IN TRANSIT and I am not getting on with tthis app at all well

so Ill post the rest tomorrow when I am on a pc

one tip is to get the Stickers out of the RNLI Sea safety booklet and use the on the boat to indicate where you have Stowed first aid flares etc

Other than that you procedures need to be correct
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 May 2014, 07:09   #8
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Engine: 300hp plus
Don't be surprised if you are asked to do remedial work, even established centres seem to be asked each year from what I have seen
Old 06 May 2014, 08:58   #9

Town: St.Andrews
Boat name: Northstar II
Make: Humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: O/B Evinrude 115
RYA Inspection

Ribochet

Do not assume that RYA inspection procedures are the same everywhere as they are clearly not, and it very definitely" is that simple" to pass your inspection if you comply with all sections of the inspection report form otherwise what would be the point in having the form.
Northstar
Old 06 May 2014, 10:11   #10

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Length: 6m +
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
Quote:
If only there was an inspector who was a member here
there are a few of us as Stu knows
Without getting involved in any particular inspection I would fully agree with Ribochet - as usual
Filling in the inspection form ready for your inspector visit is a real help on inspections and a pain in the butt when the excuse "we didn't get one this year" comes up -AGAIN!! How many times is that trotted out. Try and download one if you've lost it! But please don't tell fibs! It doesn't help anyone. The inspector may well have a spare form but using that means the whole process takes so much longer.
Filling in the form then means that you have found the instructor certs and first aid certs that you haven't seen since last year and had time to update them if they have expired. Instead of the all too often paper chase for the certs which just indicates lack of care & organisation in running the place.
Then go through the inspection points and ensure that you can answer them all and have the paperwork available to back it up where required. You know the guy is coming to see you so what can the excuse be for not being ready!
The boats-well if the boats aren't suitable/properly equipped/well maintained you have only yourself to blame. Our training boats were/are our absolute pride and joy, if they were not we wouldn't be doing it !
Old 06 May 2014, 10:17   #11

Quote:
Ribochet

Do not assume that RYA inspection procedures are the same everywhere as they are clearly not, and it very definitely" is that simple" to pass your inspection if you comply with all sections of the inspection report form otherwise what would be the point in having the form.
Northstar
Thank-you for your words of "wisdom" - not

An important piece of advice for you - Always know who you are talking to before you go off on one.

Regards
Ribochet
RYA Centre Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave View Post
If only there was an inspector who was a member here!
That answers that one

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman View Post
Back to the OP - Rich - if you want to PM me with any specific questions I, as an experienced RYA Centre Inspector, will only be too glad to give you sound advice and help
Old 06 May 2014, 11:21   #12

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
Quote:
Thank-you for your words of "wisdom" - not

An important piece of advice for you - Always know who you are talking to before you go off on one.
priceless....love it!!!! absolutely lovin it!!!!
Old 06 May 2014, 14:38   #13

Town: Poole
Iceman – happy to have a chat through things with you PM me if you would like to do so – equally you can pop to the office for a coffee if you’d like to go through your paperwork ahead of the inspection – let me know a number.

Commenting on some of the bits here:

As some have said it is beneficial to download the current RYA Centre Inspectors report form as certainly the Operating Procedures you have written and the way that you run your centre should ensure that you are able to answer the ‘correct’ answer on the Report Form.

A good way to review your Ops Proc is to liken it to the instruction manual for new instructors joining your centre. If it doesn’t give them (almost) every ounce of information they need to be able to operate safely and to your requirements then it is probably not comprehensive enough. Conversely lots of words just confuse – keep it simple and but comprehensive.

Yes do fill the form out and certainly take the time to list your centre’s instructors and ensure that you have copies of their current certificates (including commercial endorsements (if relevant) to hand). Doing this does not give you a pass, nor does failing to do so consign you to a bad place but doing so is often indicative of a tidy, thoughtful, well run centre who has invested time in the Inspection – and keeps the inspector happy!

Whilst at a simplistic level it is about being able to get the ‘correct’ answer to all of the questions on the inspection form the inspection will go far deeper than that as there are many things in the guidance notes that are mandatory but are not necessarily addressed in the inspection form.

Take two examples:

Are the operating areas listed on the form, appropriate and free from unacceptable hazards?

The answer to this at a simplistic level may be yes but are these detailed in the Ops Proc, are they clearly understood by the instructors, do they satisfy coding limitations, is the area suitable for the course.

Do the centre’s course programmes fully cover each syllabus and meet the minimum instructional time?

Whilst the syllabus may be covered is the course structured in a logical way, is the course plan complete, logical, address updates to the powerboat scheme courses etc.

So at a simplistic level the answer may be yes to both but there still could be significant action plans hanging off each point.

Bear in mind too that last year was the first year with the new Powerboat kit checklist and where there may have been an element of transition in some respect last year there would not be this year. In short boats at all levels must 100% adhere. Equally, Inspectors were updated at the start of last year as the inspection process evolved so any opinion you may have of inspections from years ago may be less relevant now.

Iceman – the inspection process should and will be a productive process that helps you to run your centre well. You may or may not get everything right straight away but the inspector will work with you to ensure that you are ready to get teaching. Hope it goes well!

Paul

www.powerboat-training-uk.co.uk, www.aquasafepowerboatschool.co.uk
Paul Glatzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2014, 01:38   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribochet View Post

Regards
Ribochet
RYA Centre Inspector

That answers that one

Back to the OP - Rich - if you want to PM me with any specific questions I, as an experienced RYA Centre Inspector, will only be too glad to give you sound advice and help
[/QUOTE] thumbs: That's you out of stealth mode then. Your offer to help the OP is very generous and I hope the OP takes you up on it.

I had hoped that my comment would flush out Paul Glatzel, (I have had dealings with him as an Instructor and as an Inspector) and knew that he would take the time to give thorough, constructive and reassuring advice which PRIOR to my posting didn't seem to be happening that well.

That comes across as a bit sycophantic, trust me it's not meant to be I’m just speaking as I find and as the thread has proved.

To go back to the OP's question.

If your procedures are OK and your boat/facilities are up there then you should pass. But do things that make it easier for you prove your suitability to run a centre: for example

Make a laminated sign saying that all life jackets have crotch strap's which must be used.

Get some dummy flares from Pains Wessex and make a wall mounted display of them with legends explaining what they are and how long they last etc.

Get a bundle of the RNLI Sea Safety booklets and put them in a pile with a sign requesting people take a copy for future reference

These things aren't essential and this list is not exhaustive but they allow a good perception of your attention to detail and desire to run a proper skool, which in turn might mean that the Inspector is more prone to help than hinder you. I'd agree with C2 Ian’s comments also
Old 07 May 2014, 08:25   #15

Thanks for all the helpful advice . Hopefully all goes well .

Cheers

Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Rib.net
Old 07 May 2014, 10:52   #16

Quote:
That's you out of stealth mode then.
Damn - how do I reconfigure this cloaking device

Quote:
I hope the OP takes you up on it.
PM's exchanged

Quote:
I had hoped that my comment would flush out Paul Glatzel, (I have had dealings with him as an Instructor and as an Inspector) and knew that he would take the time to give thorough, constructive and reassuring advice which PRIOR to my posting didn't seem to be happening that well.
Yes Paul knows what he is talking about and speaks for the RYA
Old 07 May 2014, 18:36   #17

Chase theses links

Recreation and water sport*: Publications - MCA

https://rnli.org/safetyandeducation/...Resources.aspx