Click Here to Login

Old 24 November 2009, 10:09   #1

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Tinkerbell
Make: Rib
Length: 7m +
Engine: Merc
Ribnet Commercial Skipper Register

We have a happy bank of Skippers who work with us (you all know who you are)

However sometimes we need new people to join the crew.

It would be useful to have a public register of qualified people available to work.

Ribnet and Mr Meo have helped when have needed emergency cover but more names would be helpful

Any suggestions?
Old 24 November 2009, 11:10   #2
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
Speaking as one of the "happy bunch", I agree that at times we all have to ask for helms at short notice, If it was possible to have a link from here with some details of who could be available would be great BUT our main problem will be overcoming data held on systems. I know you hold quite a few names for shortlisting , I am sure loads will now volunteer!
Old 24 November 2009, 12:41   #3

Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
I've often thought the Ribnet commercial section wasn't really commercial, a lot of the Posts are people selling courses, which whilst I understand is a commercial activity but it's not the same as boat charter or boat driving.

Perhaps we could split the section into Sub Groups.

Commercial and charter operations
Training Opportunities
Skippers available

If a Boat Driver posted her/his/its details and experience freely on Ribnet would that be a DP issue.?

By The way I've worked for Simon in the past and found it enjoyable work for anybody interested. and he's a straight guy to work for. As I'm sure C2 is but I aint worked for him so can't comment
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2009, 13:46   #4
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave View Post
I've often thought the Ribnet commercial section wasn't really commercial, a lot of the Posts are people selling courses
Stu, you're talking bollocks!

Have a look through the threads here and you'll find all sorts of commercial topics: people (yourself included!) looking to buy courses so they can qualify for commercial work, there are people looking for skippers and instructors, there are people looking for work, there's lots of stuff about coding and legislation and qualifications - but where are these lots of posts selling courses?

We could possibly have "work wanted" and "work available" sub sections but I'm not convinced there's enough traffic to make it worthwhile.
Old 24 November 2009, 13:51   #5

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Commercial Yachtmaster Power, but I'm based in Salcombe and it would need to be really interesting to get me to travel! However if there is a local requirement I would break out the lifejacket!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2009, 14:35   #6

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
I tried to establish a thread where people could post their details but it didn't seem very popular.
Old 24 November 2009, 14:50   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
Stu, you're talking bollocks!

Have a look through the threads here and you'll find all sorts of commercial topics: people (yourself included!) looking to buy courses so they can qualify for commercial work, there are people looking for skippers and instructors, there are people looking for work, there's lots of stuff about coding and legislation and qualifications - but where are these lots of posts selling courses?

We could possibly have "work wanted" and "work available" sub sections but I'm not convinced there's enough traffic to make it worthwhile.
I'm sorry John I musta forgot that's your job.

I accept that my wording was wrong but it is a section that covers a lot of subjects and is cluttered in my opinion.

re the work wanted It's not a bigee for me as I get my work outside of this forum. On the occasion's I've been looking for a driver it would have been far easier for me to hit a drivers available section stating qualifications, experience and stuff and then contact the driver than to have to wade through CV's.

Let's take Cookies posting it will be buried in a month therefore anyone looking for a Commercial Yachtmaster would miss out on a very good one Unless they had super forum searching powers.

I don't know what your plans are for growing the forum or getting more trade members but It strikes me that that Ribworks has a lot more corporte money thrown at it than Ribx so maybe the commercial section could be worthy of some elevated managerial attention

Having said that. It's your ball you play with it how you want
Old 24 November 2009, 15:00   #8
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
John - would it be worthy of a 'Commercial Drivers Available' sticky thread - then people can add their names with probably a standardised format of content... Is there a way that you can make those posts 'editable' so people can add their name and then ammend the quals, experience etc as time goes on? And delete their post if no longer available? And maybe so that each user can post only once in that thread to force them to edit/delete? I guess that all depends on how flexible the security privilidges in vBulletin are. If you are really getting carried away then it would randomise the order of replies to the thread so that the first few people in the list don't get all the enquiries...

... or given that peoples availability it highly dynamic is it better for people just to post a 'skipper wanted' thread when required?
Old 24 November 2009, 16:34   #9
Administrator

Quote:
I accept that my wording was wrong but it is a section that covers a lot of subjects and is cluttered in my opinion.
That's true enough. I got distracted by dealing with you talking cobblers!
Quote:
On the occasion's I've been looking for a driver it would have been far easier for me to hit a drivers available section stating qualifications, experience and stuff and then contact the driver than to have to wade through CV's.
Sounds like a good idea, but I don't know how workable it would be in practice. It would need to be kept up to date to be any use for a start. At least with a "skippers wanted" post you have a good chance that anyone applying will actually be available!

The we'd need to look at what information we hold, and who has access to it. Is it enough to just be able to PM people, or email via the forums? Or would you want mobile numbers for instance?
Old 24 November 2009, 16:38   #10
J S

Town: N.Wales/Southampton
Make: Zodiac
Engine: Honda 15hp
Maybe just an addition the the Trade Directory section could work well?

James
Old 24 November 2009, 16:38   #11
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
John - would it be worthy of a 'Commercial Drivers Available' sticky thread - then people can add their names with probably a standardised format of content... Is there a way that you can make those posts 'editable' so people can add their name and then ammend the quals, experience etc as time goes on?
Unless it has changed recently, time limits on editing posts are global. I'll look into it though.
Quote:
... or given that peoples availability it highly dynamic is it better for people just to post a 'skipper wanted' thread when required?
Probably!

I'll think about having a work wanted/available section, but I'll need to have a look back and see how much traffic there actually is.
Old 24 November 2009, 16:40   #12
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J S View Post
Maybe just an addition the the Trade Directory section could work well?
Possibly, but the track record of updating information is currently not good.

A skippers section might start well, but I can see it soon ending up going back to "skipper wanted" threads, but with the added aggro of having contacted a load of people first who weren't available!
Old 24 November 2009, 17:19   #13

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Quote:
Possibly, but the track record of updating information is currently not good.
Can you add a custom field to the User CP? "Quals" and have a standard set of abbreviations, that way someone looking for a skipper could use the search function for everyone with a certain qualification.
Old 24 November 2009, 17:45   #14

Quote:
The we'd need to look at what information we hold, and who has access to it. Is it enough to just be able to PM people, or email via the forums? Or would you want mobile numbers for instance?
Thanks for listening

I think email and a contact number would be good.!

Malthouse post makes sense is it feasible if you were inclined to do it.

About 18 months agp I put up and advert looking for a driver. I stated the tickets I was looking for and the pay and the length of work. The pay was just under 2k a week so a few people were attracted.

Six of the responses didn't have the tickets and three of them said they would be prepared to do the work if I PAID for the tickets, which you'll appreciate didn't do it for me.

I also got a few calls asking me what the qualifications meant, which I found a distraction. I'm disinclined to adverise looking for guys on Ribnet again but I'd happily contact someone who'd posted looking for work with the relevant qualifications
Old 24 November 2009, 19:45   #15

Boat name: Yoda & Obi Wan
Make: XS700
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 HP
Im not sure what the problem is with posting a job when you have one, if I was a freelancer I would prefer to respond to specific posts rather than appear on a list that was continually going out of date. I would then choose who I applied to.

Current commercial part of forum seems fine to me- I don't think it needs tarnished with a sticky post.
Old 24 November 2009, 20:27   #16

Bloody hell Dougie far from me to want to tarnish the Forum. I'll withdraw my suggestions forthwith.
Old 24 November 2009, 22:14   #17

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Stormforce View Post
I would prefer to respond to specific posts rather than appear on a list that was continually going out of date. I would then choose who I applied to.
When I'm available for work I send my CV off to a few agencies, when a suitable job comes in they give me a call asking if I'm interested and take it from there.

An easy way would be a simple toggle indicator like when your online. If your available for work its on, that way no updating of posts with an availability list etc, it does mean JK has some more work though.
Old 25 November 2009, 06:42   #18

Town: Morecambe
Boat name: Various
Make: Various
Length: 10m +
Engine: Various
I would have thought that it would be easier to just start a thread for Skippers / Crew needed, then wait for replies, that way you wouldn't have to troll through a register of guys trying to find out who's available and who isn't. Then its a case of a phone call - e mail to clarify qualifications. If you were looking for Skippers /Crew on a regular basis you would soon suss out the time wasters.
Old 25 November 2009, 07:58   #19
Administrator

Quote:
About 18 months agp I put up and advert looking for a driver. I stated the tickets I was looking for and the pay and the length of work. The pay was just under 2k a week so a few people were attracted.

Six of the responses didn't have the tickets and three of them said they would be prepared to do the work if I PAID for the tickets, which you'll appreciate didn't do it for me.

I also got a few calls asking me what the qualifications meant, which I found a distraction. I'm disinclined to adverise looking for guys on Ribnet again but I'd happily contact someone who'd posted looking for work with the relevant qualifications
If you do it again then it might be worth adding a line to say that the particular qualifications are an absolute requirement to make it crystal clear to any chancers.

Also how about starting a new thread with information about the various qualifications/schemes/equivalents etc? That way people wouldn't need to ask what " Commercial APB or higher with BOSIET including HUET & EBS" means! I'm not surprised you had people asking about the quals if it might offer them a route to £2k a week!