Old 21 July 2013, 18:06   #1
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
RIB operating standards

Most of us have commented on views seen by boat users and charter firms when observations on daily operations have come into question or when good remarks are added.

As far as I can see most operators are fully compliant with MCA or local coding requirements. But what should we be doing where we keep hearing of poor standards on an outfit whether it is kids on tubes, fast runs back to beaches used by swimmers or lack of lifejackets.

Locally we have a good marine police section(Hampshire) who seem to work in harmony with MCA who appear to have few boats for checking now. Speaking to these at my marina they are happy to deal with non coded boats, unregistered operators or just complaints on safety. But here is the blip- other areas

We are lucky but in other areas what can be done to ensure operators work safely, as we read reports on some regularly. Today I took a phone call from a family member not involved in boating who observed TWO operators in two Dorset locations, and one came out with flying colours for safety and briefings and the other he was astounded out for blatant disregard for safety again ( as I did not observe this I shall not name and shame) but interested in peoples comments on a way forward, do we have a duty as operators also?
Old 22 July 2013, 05:04   #2

Town: Oban (mostly)
Make: Ribcraft, Humber,BWM
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboards
Send a message via Skype™ to SeaSkills
I'm reminded of the quote "Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do". - Voltaire

It's too easy to sit back and do nothing. I've seen some horrendous things (and read about a few more on ths forum), and I know that if I heard that someone had been hurt - or worse - in an accident involving a boat or operator that I'd seen "misbehaving" I'd feel pretty bad about it if I hadn't tried to make it better or safer somehow.

Choosing a course of action that might help the situation can be tough, though. If I think that people might listen to a word of friendly advice I might have a chat with them ... but I wouldn't launch straight into it. A general chat first soon establishes whether or not they're likely to be open to a suggestion that there might be an easier or safer way to do things. If it's a commercial operation, my experience is that they are less likely to make me feel that they might listen, so I'd probably report them to the MCA
Tel; 07525 012 013
SeaSkills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2013, 07:03   #3

Town: Hoylake, Wirral
Boat name: no name
Make: n/a
Length: no boat
Engine: n/a
MMSI: n/a
If the friendly approach may not work, or you're unwilling to attempt one, then report them to the local MCA Marine Office or alternatively the Training and Certification Section at the RYA.

Let us all bear in mind that many of us spend a great deal of time and money when operating our businesses by ensuring we are complying with the law. Those that don't comply are cutting corners, possibly to save money, which leads to unsafe practices that may and do lead to injuries or even worse.

Check out this link to see what some people have been up to as it makes fascinating and frightening reading.

You may also find this page from the MCA web site helpful as it shows what sort of reports the MCA Enforcement Team are interested in receiving

Enforcement Policy

Incidentally, my company has been involved with the Enforcement Team (someone decided to forge one of our course certificates) and I found them to be extremely helpful and understanding. In fact I felt that they have the same standards as many of us have!

Hope this helps you with any future dilemma
Old 22 July 2013, 19:47   #4

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Worth the wait
Make: Parker
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard
Ian
Its a tough call on what to say and to whom. If it were about my own operation, I would welcome feedback on how we did and what might be considered to make it even better.
However, when it comes to actually reporting another operator, it becomes very difficult. I would like to think that they would be as open as ourselves, but I somehow think that might not be the case
Regards
Steve
Old 22 July 2013, 19:50   #5

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Worth the wait
Make: Parker
Engine: Outboard
PS - on Saturday I called off all our tours due to the high winds and very rough conditions. Of the 55 clients we called, only one got aggressive questioning how we could do this and on what grounds!!! Was very tempted to take her out and not bring her back ......
Old 22 July 2013, 20:30   #6
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250kts View Post
Ian
Its a tough call on what to say and to whom. If it were about my own operation, I would welcome feedback on how we did and what might be considered to make it even better.
However, when it comes to actually reporting another operator, it becomes very difficult. I would like to think that they would be as open as ourselves, but I somehow think that might not be the case
Regards
Steve
Agree Steve like you I would want a call. This has to be handled carefully and I might seek some advice from Marine Guys how they see it and also if operator is outside rules. If they were PCA members I would be duty bound to call the chair over safety standards which we pride ourselves on
Old 22 July 2013, 20:39   #7
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250kts View Post
PS - on Saturday I called off all our tours due to the high winds and very rough conditions. Of the 55 clients we called, only one got aggressive questioning how we could do this and on what grounds!!! Was very tempted to take her out and not bring her back ......
You're almost guaranteed that she'd be the one claiming damages too

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rib