Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07 October 2005, 06:52   #11
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Length: 4m +
Engine: 10hp Yam / 150hp opt
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,935
Just as cheap with YDSA

Originally Posted by Andy Gee
Our boats are with Ybdsa, but as criags was previously done by Mecal, it would be cheaper for him as they will have all the paperwork/approvals. Local YBDSA surveyors are, Jim Abernethy (01475 540202) at Murray,Cormac and Co is our surveyor, but there is also Jim McIllrath at Renfrew. Not sure if Paul Jeffes at Largs is still doing it.

Edit: there must also be an RYA guy about as some of the yachts in the marina are done by them.
The MCA has set up the system so that there is no barrier to which Certifying Authority you use. If you want to use a YDSA (or RYA surveyor for that matter) MECAL are required to release the file to your choice of certifying authority at no cost.

To re-activate the coding (assuming that the vessel was coded within the last 5 years) requires a "Mid Term" type inspection. Should cost less than £100 to the surveyor assuming all is correct on the day. Annual fees to the CA on top.



Searider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 October 2005, 07:21   #12
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Barmouth
Boat name: Blue Marlin
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo 2X
MMSI: 235020218
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 827
Originally Posted by Searider
...If you want to use a YDSA (or RYA surveyor for that matter) MECAL are required to release the file to your choice of certifying authority at no cost.
Is this recent? If I had used a YDSA surveyor, MECAL wanted to charge £100 for the stability report - and that was in April this year. I understand that the work remains their IP and so maintain ownership of it (and so charge for it).


DGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2005, 06:31   #13
Country: UK - England
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 10
Talk to like minded RIB charters and help setting up

Originally Posted by craig_c
I am thinking of chartering out the rib for weekends. What code does it need, what do I need to skipper it and what is the insurance like??
Has anybody done this before and what was there experiance like.

Have a look at the info gathered together on the SpareRIBs web site. its at Their tips on how to charter your RIB, advise on coding in your area, contacts, and chater contracts you can use (plus loads more) You could even contact the members on the SpareRIBs database (some of which were once in your position) an ask thier opinion)
Some useful direct links are as follows: (this one lets you use the data base to find out what areas you can operate in, with which coding - for any area around the UK)

Craig, I hope this helps, do give me any feed back you have. (SpareRIBs can also help market your RIB chartering work by allowing you to creat an advert (£45 only for a year - no extras!) then you can access yet more tools and resoutses to aid RIB chartering)

Best of luck
Andy - SpareRIBs

Andy T
SpareRIBs RIB Hire Agency
Andy T is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:49.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.