Old 29 September 2005, 12:02   #1

Town: Inverkip
Boat name: Crusader
Make: Redbay 8.4 Exped
Length: 8m +
Engine: yamaha sterndrive
RIBase
Rib Charter

I am thinking of chartering out the rib for weekends. What code does it need, what do I need to skipper it and what is the insurance like??
Has anybody done this before and what was there experiance like.
Cheers
Craig_c
Old 29 September 2005, 12:31   #2

Town: HERNE BAY
Boat name: Coastalbuzz
Make: Brill Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: 250suzuki/6/5/5
MMSI: tba
rib charter

hi
the answers to your questions are all previosly featured on this forum, but the best people to ask are the mca,
re experience, you will find it very seasonal but if you can market well and you have a wide base of interest ie nature rather than just speed you will be of interest to a lot of clients.
Give me a call on 01227 373372 or call quincari marine (regulars on here) as they are fantastic with their advice.
regards
mike
Old 29 September 2005, 14:14   #3

Town: South West Scotland
Boat name: Blue Ribbin
Make: Humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner 75
There's a big yellow rib you can charter out of largs marina, cant recall the name, its one of the yachty outfits based down there.

Was a bit pricey, relatively speaking - around £300 per day I recall, but they do half days if your gonna be quick!
Old 29 September 2005, 14:34   #4

Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewitson

Was a bit pricey, relatively speaking - around £300 per day I recall, but they do half days if your gonna be quick!
Pricey!!!!! That is bareboat price of course!?
Old 29 September 2005, 14:41   #5

Make: Redbay 11m Cabin
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x Yamaha422Sti 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig_c
I am thinking of chartering out the rib for weekends. What code does it need, what do I need to skipper it and what is the insurance like??
Cheers
Craig_c
Craig, your boat would be nae bother to do, it was already done, so all youd need would be the usual stuff i.e life raft etc etc and a MECAL surveyor.......dont know of any around here as most are YBDSA. Skipper wise it would depent on what code you go for, and as for insurance we are paying £1452 PA for the diving boat. I've done 2 ribs and 3 Hardboats and it all really depends on where you're thinking of operating as we are in Cat c/d water until the Cumbrae heads. Give me a call and I'll give you a hand.
Andy
Old 29 September 2005, 19:58   #6

Town: St Davids
Boat name: 6 vessels -various
Make: Quinquari/Humber
Engine: Twin ETEC200s
Coding

A few points on the responses.

1. A YBDSA surveyor can also code. We used to use MECAL but now use YBDSA or RYA surveyors. Other certifying authorities exist and your hull has all the necessary paperwork so it will be an issue of equipment and standards only.

2. The chaps at Largs are Total Yachting Ltd ( also tarde as Scottish RIb charters). They have three of our 10m RIBs and are a friendly bunch so may help. Also Dunoon Rocket across the water with one of our 10ms may help on advice.

3. Alternatively call Tony Hill in Oban ( Seafrai Oban) who is our Northern arm of Quinquari.

4. Mike, thanks for the compliment.... one day we will sell you that boat !!!

Cheers

John
www.quinquari.co.uk
Old 30 September 2005, 10:15   #7

Our boats are with Ybdsa, but as criags was previously done by Mecal, it would be cheaper for him as they will have all the paperwork/approvals. Local YBDSA surveyors are, Jim Abernethy (01475 540202) at Murray,Cormac and Co is our surveyor, but there is also Jim McIllrath at Renfrew. Not sure if Paul Jeffes at Largs is still doing it.

Edit: there must also be an RYA guy about as some of the yachts in the marina are done by them.
Old 30 September 2005, 11:40   #8

Boat name: Crusader
Make: Redbay 8.4 Exped
Length: 8m +
Engine: yamaha sterndrive
RIBase
what about the skipper stuff?? have done my Rya safety boat
Old 30 September 2005, 15:11   #9

Depends on your area of operation, do a search on here and you'll find it.
For what we do at the moment Cat2 (60miles) boats Yachtmaster with commercial endorsement i.e Sea Survival, HSE first aid and we also have Firefighting, Cat 3 (20miles) Coastal Skipper with commercial endorsement. I'm not sure about Cat4,5,6 but I'm sure John or on of the other guys will tell you
Andy
Old 30 September 2005, 15:24   #10
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
This appears to be the relevant sites:

http://www.mcga.gov.uk/c4mca/mcga-gu...g_a_b_code.htm

and

http://www.mcga.gov.uk/c4mca/mcga-gu...g_c_d_code.htm

Reading the detail these are only recommended and responsibility lies with you as the operator to decide if (1) these are necessary and (2) the skipper has adequate knowledge / experience!
Old 07 October 2005, 11:52   #11

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Length: 4m +
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
Just as cheap with YDSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Gee
Our boats are with Ybdsa, but as criags was previously done by Mecal, it would be cheaper for him as they will have all the paperwork/approvals. Local YBDSA surveyors are, Jim Abernethy (01475 540202) at Murray,Cormac and Co is our surveyor, but there is also Jim McIllrath at Renfrew. Not sure if Paul Jeffes at Largs is still doing it.

Edit: there must also be an RYA guy about as some of the yachts in the marina are done by them.
The MCA has set up the system so that there is no barrier to which Certifying Authority you use. If you want to use a YDSA (or RYA surveyor for that matter) MECAL are required to release the file to your choice of certifying authority at no cost.

To re-activate the coding (assuming that the vessel was coded within the last 5 years) requires a "Mid Term" type inspection. Should cost less than £100 to the surveyor assuming all is correct on the day. Annual fees to the CA on top.

Regards

Duncan
(YDSA)!
Old 07 October 2005, 12:21   #12
DGR

Town: Barmouth
Boat name: Blue Marlin
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo 2X
MMSI: 235020218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Searider
...If you want to use a YDSA (or RYA surveyor for that matter) MECAL are required to release the file to your choice of certifying authority at no cost.
Is this recent? If I had used a YDSA surveyor, MECAL wanted to charge £100 for the stability report - and that was in April this year. I understand that the work remains their IP and so maintain ownership of it (and so charge for it).

D...
Old 27 October 2005, 11:31   #13

Talk to like minded RIB charters and help setting up

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig_c
Cheers
Craig_c

Craig,
Have a look at the info gathered together on the SpareRIBs web site. its at www.spareribs.info Their tips on how to charter your RIB, advise on coding in your area, contacts, and chater contracts you can use (plus loads more) You could even contact the members on the SpareRIBs database (some of which were once in your position) an ask thier opinion)
Some useful direct links are as follows:

http://www.spareribs.info/chartering/index.html

http://www.spareribs.info/chartering/tips.htm

http://www.spareribs.info/coding/index.html

http://www.spareribs.info/coding.html (this one lets you use the data base to find out what areas you can operate in, with which coding - for any area around the UK)

Craig, I hope this helps, do give me any feed back you have. (SpareRIBs can also help market your RIB chartering work by allowing you to creat an advert (£45 only for a year - no extras!) then you can access yet more tools and resoutses to aid RIB chartering)

Best of luck
Andy - SpareRIBs
Andy T is offline   Reply With Quote