Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25 April 2001, 14:03   #1
Country: UK - England
Town: London,UK
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 2
RIB Charter

I have an 8m RIB, 200hp Optimax that I want to Charter out for Cowes and Americas cup this year on the Isle of Wight.

Anybody have any ideas?

huxley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2001, 02:23   #2
Paul Glatzel's Avatar
Country: UK - England
Town: Poole
Length: 6m +
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 406
There are two issues here:
i) Getting the boat chartered & ii) doing so 'legally'

i) you might look at which contains a message forum much like this, you might also track down the yacht charter companies who will own a percentage of the larger boats on corporate charter during the week

ii) You then have a decision to make. To charter a vessel out now it needs to be fully 'coded' under the Maritime & Coastguard Agency (MCA) rules. Depending on what you want to do (ie how far from a 'Nominated Point of Departure' you wish to go ) you need to go through a torturous process. I'm currently taking a RIB to 'CAT 3' coding which is up to 20 miles from a 'safe haven' in day or night. The rib is likely to sink under the weight & specification of the kit I need to carry! These include a liferaft (yes - a liferaft on a rib), all manner of safety equipment to very precise specifications etc etc I estimate it will cost 1500 - 2000 to achieve this coding once the surveyors have done their assessment etc. You might have it slightly easier in that the Solent is a great place to operate as (eg) if you are based in Cowes your nominated departure points are at (roughly) Lymington & Nab Tower giving you a massive operational area. In Poole any distance is from the chain ferry giving a very limited operational area if you go for coding less than cat 4. (20 miles from safe haven in daylight). You are probaly okay to go for Cat 5 or Cat 6 coding which is less onerous. However (and its a big however) at present it has been possible to get coding under cat6,5 (& possibly others) without a liferaft, according to the RYA this is changing and it may be that all such situations require a liferaft which is quite a big commitment; I suspect the above is all quite confusing the books to get are:
- The safety of small commercial motor vessels - a code of practice (known as the yellow book) - this covers the rules for coding cat 0 to cat 4
- The red book (can't remember its title) - cat 5& 6
from the Stationary Office 0870 600 5522
MCA 02380 329112
NB: If you are a RYA powerboat school you can speak to James Stevens at the RYA about all of this
Finally (if i understand correctly) there used to be an exemption whereby you could get local authority licences to charter your vessel in certain areas - this has now been cancelled and replaced by the above - John - if i remember rightly you've had experience of this - is that true?


Paul Glatzel is offline   Reply With Quote

« - | Top | MCA Yellow Code »
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:42.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.