Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Commercial operators
Click Here to Login

Old 05 April 2012, 17:23   #21

Town: stranraer
Length: 10m +
bit of a grey area the renewal of first aid certs(stcw 95 ) as there is no expiry on them !, mca website states also that there is no expiry ,as does fleetwood nautical college !
Old 06 April 2012, 13:19   #22
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormforce
Yes - a renewal would require you to confirm/prove/demonstrate suitable sea time. It's spread over 5 years, and it certainly isn't onerous. (150 days over 5 years).

If you don't meet the requirements, there is a route forwards if you can prove that you have a close involvement with managing commercial vessels, exact wording:
Stormforce - I'm not suggesting 150 days in five years working as a commercial skipper (or in the management of skippers) is an unreasonable expectation from the MCA/RYA; however I would have thought there were some people on here who would like to have the commercial endorsement either because they have their own boat coded but not in regular commercial use as a tax fiddle or because they do some ad-hoc skippering for someone else. Indeed in the current economic climate I can imagine people wanting to keep their options open for alternative sources of work if the day job dries up. However to actually do 30 days of commercial work each year is basically one day a week during the main boating season (when skippers and boats are likely to be in most demand) or a solid month of commercial boating... a bit more than most people's 'ad hoc'.

So bringing us back to John's question, I am surprised that to "renew" a commercial endorsement you don't need to prove 150 days service (could be tricky if your certificate is very out of date) and can just apply as though you were a new candidate. Do you see what I am getting at? if you are right then the 150 days in 5 yrs is irrelevant, as you can just reapply; I would have expected MCA/RYA to insist that the commercial exam was resat for someone trying to renew without adequate hours.
Old 06 April 2012, 14:00   #23
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
however I would have thought there were some people on here who would like to have the commercial endorsement either because they have their own boat coded but not in regular commercial use as a tax fiddle or because they do some ad-hoc skippering for someone else.
Would ye wheest!
Old 06 April 2012, 14:34   #24
Redbay supporter

Town: onn de moov
Boat name: bote
Make: kevvin
Engine: jett dryve
Quote:
as a tax fiddle.

yew norty polfIsh

ow de deviil dair yew

gow an wosh yor mowth owt dis minit

Wher doo I beegin?😃
wiLlfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 April 2012, 14:36   #25
Redbay supporter

Town: onn de moov
Boat name: bote
Make: kevvin
Engine: jett dryve
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
wheest!
wots dat meen wiLkwart

Wher doo I beegin?😃
wiLlfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 April 2012, 14:47   #26
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiLlfish View Post
wots dat meen wiLkwart
I'm not sure you'll understand the concept:

Hould yer wheest = shut yer bake.

Roughly translates as: "I would appreciate it if you kept your opinion/commment to yourself at this juncture"
Old 06 April 2012, 16:55   #27

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Quote:
Stormforce - I'm not suggesting 150 days in five years working as a commercial skipper (or in the management of skippers) is an unreasonable expectation from the MCA/RYA; however I would have thought there were some people on here who would like to have the commercial endorsement either because they have their own boat coded but not in regular commercial use as a tax fiddle or because they do some ad-hoc skippering for someone else. Indeed in the current economic climate I can imagine people wanting to keep their options open for alternative sources of work if the day job dries up. However to actually do 30 days of commercial work each year is basically one day a week during the main boating season (when skippers and boats are likely to be in most demand) or a solid month of commercial boating... a bit more than most people's 'ad hoc'.

So bringing us back to John's question, I am surprised that to "renew" a commercial endorsement you don't need to prove 150 days service (could be tricky if your certificate is very out of date) and can just apply as though you were a new candidate. Do you see what I am getting at? if you are right then the 150 days in 5 yrs is irrelevant, as you can just reapply; I would have expected MCA/RYA to insist that the commercial exam was resat for someone trying to renew without adequate hours.
I wouldn't worry, the RYA will probably turn a blind eye as they normally do and let anyone renew their ticket
Old 06 April 2012, 17:33   #28
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
I wouldn't worry, the RYA will probably turn a blind eye as they normally do and let anyone renew their ticket
Old 06 April 2012, 18:38   #29
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
I'm not sure you'll understand the concept:

Hould yer wheest = shut yer bake.

Roughly translates as: "I would appreciate it if you kept your opinion/commment to yourself at this juncture"
[pedant]the correct spelling is "Haud yer Wheesht"[/pedant]

sorry for being pedantic - but I know that wiLlfish is very particular about spelling.
Old 06 April 2012, 18:39   #30

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Tinkerbell
Make: Rib
Length: 7m +
Engine: Merc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
So what you are saying then Tim is the RYA will let any monkey (that pays the renewal fee) renew. Shame on them I thought they were a professional body.

www.sabermarine.com
Trailer Bloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 April 2012, 19:19   #31

Town: Rostrevor
Boat name: Ricochet
Make: Redbay
Engine: Twin F115 Yams
MMSI: 235083269
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2 RIBS View Post
I was at a meeting and RYA chief stated PB2 endorsement was going and the Intermediate would then be endorseable. Have they changed their minds?
According to Rachel Andrews in February there were no plans to end the endorsement of PB2 - but then that was two months ago
Old 07 April 2012, 19:06   #32
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart
I would have expected MCA/RYA to insist that the commercial exam was resat for someone trying to renew without adequate hours.
I've been reading up on this new stuff and there isn't a "commercial exam" as such though. It's an Advanced Powerboat exam which is now the qualification that can be commercially endorsed (you can't commercially endorse a course completion certificate for Advanced Powerboat unless it's pre 2005 ).

More details here:
http://www.rya.org.uk/coursestrainin...orsements.aspx

The revalidation requirements appear to be nonsensical...
Old 08 April 2012, 08:24   #33
Trade member

Town: Southampton, Solent
Boat name: Yoda, Obi Wan
Make: XS 600 & 700
Engine: 115 & 200hp o/b
Send a message via Skype™ to Stormforce
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
I've been reading up on this new stuff and there isn't a "commercial exam" as such though. It's an Advanced Powerboat exam which is now the qualification that can be commercially endorsed (you can't commercially endorse a course completion certificate for Advanced Powerboat unless it's pre 2005 ).
This is entirely correct and has been the situation for quite some time. A commercial endorsement is gained through a separate process to the completion of a course or exam leading to a certificate of competence. Once you hold a commercial endorsement, you can apply that to any suitable course completion certificates or certificates of competence you might have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
The revalidation requirements appear to be nonsensical...
They don't appear completely clear cut. I think your best bet is to either telephone certification at the RYA (023 8060 4158/certification+rya.org.uk) and ask them what you need to do (probably once you have the other pre-requisites in place), or send off a commercial endorsement application or renewal form complete with a cover note.
Stormforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 April 2012, 08:44   #34
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribochet View Post
According to Rachel Andrews in February there were no plans to end the endorsement of PB2 - but then that was two months ago
Springs to mind- left and right hand not knowing what is happening or planned,

I was trying to find the original RYA web pages which clearly stated that PB2 commercial was next to go and intermediate would replace it but appears web pages have changed again since we had CPD training and conference
Old 08 April 2012, 10:42   #35

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
My understanding was that the PB2 is about to undergo an overhaul so perhaps this will come in with that?
Old 08 April 2012, 16:40   #36

Town: Rostrevor
Boat name: Ricochet
Make: Redbay
Engine: Twin F115 Yams
MMSI: 235083269
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2 RIBS View Post
Springs to mind- left and right hand not knowing what is happening or planned,
I know exactly - as another example - I was recently sent the latest edition of the Powerboat Logbook with an accompanying letter outlining changes to courses which included a paragraph

"Under the Boat handling section, Powerboat level 2, Intermediate and Advanced all now include "the importance of boat control in waves and adequate seating to minimise the possibility of back injury" to the level of "understands"

Confused - I am - this is NOT new - this has been in the sylabus, to this level, for all 3 courses since APRIL 2010 - also why has reference to CG66 been dropped?