Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
Rates of Pay 2

Anybody know what a decent hourly rate of pay would be for a commercially endorsed advanced powerboat instructor would be?

I recently did a (11hrs) days work and I'm being offered £85. Good or bad???

Chris
Old 13 April 2006, 18:46   #2

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
From £75 to £150 depending on experience .Also depends on how much was charged for the course per person as the school has to make a living as well.
Old 13 April 2006, 18:50   #3
CJL

RIBase
It was for the Oxford Cambridge Boat Race so I suspect they made a killing!!

Thanks for that. I will go back and ask for £100 next time!!!

Chris
Old 13 April 2006, 22:51   #4

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Like any outdoor teaching work the rate of pay doesn't reflect the resposibility or how hard you have worked to get qualified . It sucks
Old 14 April 2006, 03:40   #5

Town: Pwllheli
Length: no boat
I normally teach a level 2 at £75 per day and that's only 7hrs p/day,

Thant is about the min that I've heard of for an instructor to charge per day!

But then, It's down to the deal between you and who you work for!!
Old 14 April 2006, 12:20   #6

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Quote:
But then, It's down to the deal between you and who you work for!!
That was the problem . I used to work as a freelance Kayak instructor . I had worked hard at much expense to gain my qualifications , which to work on the sea take some getting .
You end up as bus driver first aider Tug and general dogs body.
Often i would have school teachers with me as part of school groups and they needed as much care and help as the Kids .
No disrespect to any teacher , but the resposibility was far higher than was expected of them and it was your ass on the line should anything go wrong.

The pay should reflect that but it doesn't because there are no end of people out there who consider the work cool or fun and will work sometimes for nothing to gain experience . The outdoor and training centres use these free workers a lot

When something like the Lyme Bay tragedy occurrs there is a big inquest and it is then the problem becomes apparent .

The only work I ever did where I was fully apreciated and paid properly was for the Armed forces and direct contracts to schools who paid teacher supply rates .
Old 15 April 2006, 18:16   #7

Town: Binfield
Boat name: merlinless now
Length: no boat
What i have seem of the marine industry, too many people run as a hobby. And i do agree for the responsibility and qualifications the industry should get paid more
Old 15 April 2006, 18:20   #8

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Chris

in a croweded marketplace you get what you can. I don't like to go out for less than 125 a day cos I am hardworking and can entertain the customers quite well also if it's marine stuff like tugging it's also quite hard work. But people don't queue up to pay that when there a people that go out for much less.

The North sea pays me about 3 times that rate so I tend not to bother with it down here and I am going back next weekish (yipee)

I know of a powerboat experience company that I used to work for that pays about 15 an hour and they asked me to find them some new drivers. If you are interested in talking to them I'll happily forward your number to them if you PM it to me. They are sweet peopleby the way!
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2006, 15:34   #9
CJL

RIBase
Rogue,

Thanks for that. I tend to do a bit of paid work a few times a year on the Thames and I was wondering what to ask for.

The company I work for and I have an excellent relationship and I get asked to work first then I tend to discuss payment after the days work. I know its arse about tit way of doing it but I trust them not to shaft me too much!!

A hundred notes seemed a good price for watching the Oxford Cambridge Boat Race from 6m away!!

Now I know what price to push for next time.

Thanks

Chris
Old 17 April 2006, 19:58   #10

Town: Mayfair, London
Make: RibEye/Ferretti 881
Engine: Yamaha 25/Twin MTU
Chris, I think you can sometimes get a bit more for Thames work.

I'm being paid £350 plus all expenses for 7 days work as camera boat for major feature film on the Thames quite soon.

I didn't know what to ask for but that's what they offered and I'm pretty pleased with that amount.
Old 17 April 2006, 23:16   #11
CJL

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by timw

I'm being paid £350 plus all expenses for 7 days work as camera boat for major feature film on the Thames quite soon.

I didn't know what to ask for but that's what they offered and I'm pretty pleased with that amount.
Tim,

I normally do get more! This year I only drove somebody elses boat for the Boat Race. The payment was for my time only.

Last year I asked for £500 + expenses for the event and got it. Its a full day boat hire and I think its pretty reasonable when compared to other commercial outfits. Paticularly when you consider I can entertain the customers

As my boat isn't coded I can only use the boat on 3 ocassions a year so I need to make sure when I do use it, its worthwhile!

Chris
Old 18 April 2006, 07:56   #12

Town: Inverkip
Make: Redbay 11m Cabin
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x Yamaha422Sti 275
Quote:

Is that £350 per day or for the 7 days?
Andy
Old 18 April 2006, 08:02   #13

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:

We do film work - TV is usually from £150 a day and film up to £250 a day all plus expenses of course!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2006, 09:09   #14

Town: Mayfair, London
Make: RibEye/Ferretti 881
Engine: Yamaha 25/Twin MTU
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Gee
Is that £350 per day or for the 7 days?
Andy
It's £350 plus expenses per day. I think it's a good deal.
Old 18 April 2006, 13:02   #15

Town: ramsgate
Boat name: Micki Dee Bee
Make: Ribcraft Seasafari
Length: 9m +
Engine: Twin 250hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235057235
Send a message via MSN to Jon Brooks
As Stu said you get what you can.

A problem I have seen recently is that there are some many doing it that you will always get one that goes in far far to cheap that it then causes problems for all.

Someone very recently had quoted a wind farm stupid low prices for boat and crews to get the contract, then found they did not have enough boats and crew to meet the needs, they then were offering the work out, then found they could sub out the work as there was no one interested to work so cheap!!

Regards
Old 18 April 2006, 13:25   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Brooks
As Stu said you get what you can.

A problem I have seen recently is that there are some many doing it that you will always get one that goes in far far to cheap that it then causes problems for all.

Someone very recently had quoted a wind farm stupid low prices for boat and crews to get the contract, then found they did not have enough boats and crew to meet the needs, they then were offering the work out, then found they could sub out the work as there was no one interested to work so cheap!!

Regards
Spot on Jon , what really pisses me off is the boats that operate without any codingor commercial insurance whatsoever and can afford to work for low rates, as they do not have the overheads of licenced vessels.
We have been operating charter and workboats (from 10m - 24m) for over 25 years and at times it never ceases to amaze me how some companies will hire unlicenced vessels and expect it all to okay when something does go wrong.
There was a hope when the Codes fo Practise first came out that it would stop all this, not a chance as there is in-sufficent surveyors to police it, so it's easier for the surveyors to look at the code vessel lists and carry out inspections on them rather than target unlicenced operations.
.....getting down off soap box
Andy
Old 18 April 2006, 18:20   #17
CJL

RIBase
Quote:
Spot on Jon , what really pisses me off is the boats that operate without any codingor commercial insurance whatsoever and can afford to work for low rates, as they do not have the overheads of licenced vessels.
We have been operating charter and workboats (from 10m - 24m) for over 25 years and at times it never ceases to amaze me how some companies will hire unlicenced vessels and expect it all to okay when something does go wrong.
There was a hope when the Codes fo Practise first came out that it would stop all this, not a chance as there is in-sufficent surveyors to police it, so it's easier for the surveyors to look at the code vessel lists and carry out inspections on them rather than target unlicenced operations.
.....getting down off soap box
Andy
Just like to clarify that my boat isn't coded but on the Thames provided your boat has been inspected by a PLA surveyor and you have approval from the Harbourmaster you can operate legally without coding on a maximum of three occassions in a year.

Hence my previous comments. I don't operate illegally or sneak in extra trips, I stick to my three!!!

Chris
Old 18 April 2006, 19:27   #18

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Quote:

Andy
One wonders does the answer lie in tying up an SO50 application with proof of coding or local license, insurance and qualifications!

BTW I was wondering WTF codingor insurance was (and why I hadn't heard of it!) when I made the same typo
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2006, 22:31   #19

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Chris I was at the boat race. Which boat were you driving?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P4021615.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	18556  
Old 19 April 2006, 08:06   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave
One wonders does the answer lie in tying up an SO50 application with proof of coding or local license, insurance and qualifications!

BTW I was wondering WTF codingor insurance was (and why I hadn't heard of it!) when I made the same typo
Codingor is a type of Welsh insurance .
Clydeport operate a similar thing up hear whereby they can issue a harbour licence, but more often than not now they are only issuing it to the small workboats that handle the yokahama fenders and carry out light mooring duties.
I really don't know what the answer is, I've previously reported a couple of unlicenced boats, eventually a surveyor comes down, tells them not to do it again, the surveyor goes away, they start again or move to another port.

It might be a better option for the MCA to put some of the basic checking for compliance back to the local Coastie teams and allowing them to patrol/check and then report back to the compliance dept. for further action.

The bigger marine civil companied are getting very good now at wanting to see and copy all licence/insurance/Qualification befroe issuing an order as they must prove fit for purpose and compatance.

Andy