Old 26 February 2011, 16:50   #1

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Various
Make: Ribeye's
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha 250 & 300
Radar reflectors

Does anyone have an angle on 'Tri Lens' or similar radar reflectors at anything like the right kind of price ?
Old 26 February 2011, 16:57   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
can't help with trilens but channel ribs are doing the Echomax at a sensible price (assuming no VAT to pay etc) especially with 5% extra off for orders before tue (for Ribnet members)
Old 27 February 2011, 05:51   #3

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Thanks Polwart.

The tri-lense is a good reflector, slightly more compact than the Echomax and the only alternative to an Echomax than I would consider worth fitting.

You will see the Echomax fitted to lots of boats, including RIBs, for a good reason though.

The 7" version is less than £80, but designed for mounting to a vertical surface. The base mount versions are ideal for radar arches and are £120 delivered.

www.channelribs.com/gear/echomax.html

5% off if you order anything from us before 5pm on Tuesday the 1st of March.
Old 27 February 2011, 09:48   #4

Town: Norfolk/Suffolk Borders
Make: no boat
If you do go for a tri-lens ( as I did about three years ago ) make sure it has a stainless steel mount ! The plastic version fitted at that time was simply not man enough for a typical bashing from a RIB A frame .
Old 28 February 2011, 01:08   #5
SPR

Town: Central Belt of Scotland
Boat name: Puddleduck III
Make: Bombard
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50 HP
it's not just the VAT you need to pay, you get at least a £13 handling charge, anything over £18 being imported in UK vat should be applied. after another value import duty will be added.

This is unless the company has an agreement with UK customs, in that case the company will add VAT.

this is how I see it, and from experience I never seem to get away from paying Vat, handling fees and sometimes Duty when buying outwith EU.

S.
Old 28 February 2011, 06:03   #6

Town: Alderney
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPR View Post
this is how I see it, and from experience I never seem to get away from paying Vat
We have a number of ways of dealing with it, the latest change being that Alderney Post allow us to pay VAT at the time of posting. This has greatly simplified things as the parcel is very clearly marked as duty paid.

Other options include splitting orders of smaller items into sub £18 packets, this worked really well the other day for a Ribnetter.

A further option where the UK distributor is able, is to have them send goods direct if we pay the VAT. This saves on shipping and handling so does not result in the whole of the 20% being passed on.

Yet another option is having goods sent to a number of airports* for collection by the customer, the airline's import system is more straight forward than Royal Mail's and in-stock items can arrive as quickly as same day.

* Southampton, Bristol, Manchester, East Midlands, Stanstead, Gatwick & Dinard.

One of the most important things is that we email a copy of the receipt ahead of the goods, this means that if duty is queried you are able to be sure that you do not pay too much VAT.

As I have said before, it is important to figure VAT in. Our prices are so good that they compare very well, if they don't then tell us and we will do our best to match.