Old 10 January 2006, 10:32   #1

Town: Binfield
Boat name: merlinless now
Length: no boat
radar

Guys

I want to get hold of a good book on radar as i would i to do the radar instructors course later this year. I have used radar but want to know a little more than the standard course type books...

anybody got a recommendation?
Old 21 January 2006, 22:23   #2

Town: SOUTHAMPTON
Make: Coastline
Length: 6m +
Engine: Volvo Penta
Re Radar books.

I did the radar instructors course last year. I am an ex merchant navy Navigator so have used radars for years and have spent weeks at college and in simulators. It can be a very complex subject and to be honest the 2 RYA books are fine for the instructors course and covers all you need to know.

http://www.rya.org.uk/Shop/default.a...ategory=679334

Regards

www.mclmarine.co.uk
MCL Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2006, 22:32   #3

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCL Marine
I did the radar instructors course last year. I am an ex merchant navy Navigator so have used radars for years and have spent weeks at college and in simulators. It can be a very complex subject and to be honest the 2 RYA books are fine for the instructors course and covers all you need to know.

http://www.rya.org.uk/Shop/default.a...ategory=679334

Regards
What do you think of all the modern auto controls compared to the old analogue tweak it yourself ones???
Old 21 January 2006, 22:36   #4

Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Everlong
Make: Botnia Targa 27
Engine: Volvo KAD44
I think Searider will back me up on this as he uses one regularly, but the first Royal Navy radar I ever used was the 1006 (i think!) on the p2000 class - v v basic with a couple of knobs and had to be used in conjunction with a chinograph pencil for PI's and CPA's etc and even though it seemed to run on steam and sellotape it was as reliable as can be...compared with the RN's current 1007 that has more buttons than a bmw and enough technology to put a man on the moon it was great...simpler the better imho..
Old 22 January 2006, 01:10   #5

Town: SOUTHAMPTON
Make: Coastline
Length: 6m +
Engine: Volvo Penta
They say the old ones are the best, but In not so sure! The older CRT radars were good, although modern technology such as ARPA, performance testing, radar overlay etc make your life a little easier.

The big problem with the older CRT radars were the fact that you always nearly had to have your head stuck in a rubber tube in order to see the picture, new daylight screens mean you can look at a radar picture and look out the window at the same time!

Of course the other problem with CRT radars is the life of the screen, too much gain and it actually burns the centre of the screen meaning no screen no picture.

The ability to plot multiply targets with ARPA in seconds means although not 100% accurate it is still as good as the old fashioned way of manual plotting with a chinograph pencil, especially when changes of course and speed are involved. The modern radars sometime allow you to use a 'Trial manoeuvre' function to experiment with speed and or course changes which will display the new vectors on the radar screen without actually altering course or speed.

The new technology, although more complicated, is far superior in its detection capability and image. The picture is often digitally enhanced and offers greater user control in how you want to see the picture in terms of motion and vectors. Interestingly, even with super radars that cost upwards of £40k I always used to tune it and adjust the clutter levels manually!

www.mclmarine.co.uk
MCL Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2006, 02:50   #6

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCL Marine

The new technology, although more complicated, is far superior in its detection capability and image. The picture is often digitally enhanced and offers greater user control in how you want to see the picture in terms of motion and vectors. Interestingly, even with super radars that cost upwards of £40k I always used to tune it and adjust the clutter levels manually!
Thats what I am on about - daylight screens are obviously far better but manual tuning still takes some beating.
Old 22 January 2006, 07:17   #7

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
Radar by Tim Bartlett published by Fenhurst ISBN 1-898660-71-9 the two books that accompany the course are fine . Good luck with the course.
Old 22 January 2006, 12:27   #8

guys, thanks for the info.

Whats the best simulator to use, i have a copy (came with a book) of "starpath radar trainer"
Old 22 January 2006, 15:15   #9

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
Lightmaster is RYA approved www.lightmaster.co.uk the latest one includes LCD AND CRT and has the Solent chart so for me as this is my teaching area its excellent.
Old 23 January 2006, 08:22   #10

Tim thanks for that , i will have a look