Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 06 February 2018, 03:42   #1
AJF
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: no boat
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 5
Qualifications required for wind farm transfer vessels?

Hi All,
I'm considering going into the wind farm transfer vessel industry as mate/skipper,(I have a number of yachting qualifications and years of experience). Can anyone tell me the necessary/useful qualifications required please?

I've seen a job advertising asking for a banksman/slinger qualifiaction, but there seem to be many levels/stages to this, and it doesn't state what level is required. Is this a usual qualification needed?

Any help or advice offered is much appreciated. Also, any advice on which companies to target/avoid, (or things to look out for and avoid) would be appreciated. Thanks.
__________________

__________________
AJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 February 2018, 12:59   #2
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Mercury
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
MMSI: 235074042
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3,965
https://specialisedmarinesupport.com...celtic-trader/

Talk to these guys it's Tony hills son from easedale company he will put you right
__________________

__________________
jeffstevens763@g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 February 2018, 13:20   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: denny
Boat name: breezy
Make: humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 235913962
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 668
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJF View Post
Hi All,
I'm considering going into the wind farm transfer vessel industry as mate/skipper,(I have a number of yachting qualifications and years of experience). Can anyone tell me the necessary/useful qualifications required please?

I've seen a job advertising asking for a banksman/slinger qualifiaction, but there seem to be many levels/stages to this, and it doesn't state what level is required. Is this a usual qualification needed?

Any help or advice offered is much appreciated. Also, any advice on which companies to target/avoid, (or things to look out for and avoid) would be appreciated. Thanks.
I thought that there was only 1 qual for banksman/slinger after that its an appointed person qual for lifting/craning
__________________
breezeblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 February 2018, 13:42   #4
RIBnet supporter
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 8,178
RIBase
Qualifications required for wind farm transfer vessels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezeblock View Post
I thought that there was only 1 qual for banksman/slinger after that its an appointed person qual for lifting/craning


There's
slinger / banksman
Lift supervisor
Appointed person,
they are all individual qualifications to cover specific aspects of lifting ops. There aren't different levels of the qualifications, they are what they are.
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4: See rule#5
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 February 2018, 18:01   #5
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: London
Boat name: Easy Elsie
Make: J Craft
Length: 6m +
Engine: 175bhp Evinrude ETEC
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 62
Qualifications required for wind farm transfer vessels?

Sent in error
__________________
taitharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 February 2018, 04:32   #6
AJF
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: no boat
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 5
Thanks for the replies so far. With regards to the Banksman/Slinger qualification, there seems to be a 1 day course, up to a 4 day course, so I wanted confirmation as to which was required, if any. Thanks.
__________________
AJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 February 2018, 04:42   #7
RIBnet supporter
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 8,178
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJF View Post
Thanks for the replies so far. With regards to the Banksman/Slinger qualification, there seems to be a 1 day course, up to a 4 day course, so I wanted confirmation as to which was required, if any. Thanks.


The one day will be for someone with previous experience, the 4 day will be for a newcomer, they both result in the same qualification. Upon successfully completing the course, you will receive a provisional competency card, you have to complete an NVQ within 2 years to convert the provisional card to a blue card. This lasts for 5 years, in which time you have to log 300 hours & then pass another touch screen H&S test in order to renew for another 5 years. These are the CPCS rules which are industry wide, you can get an "in house" qualification but this will only be recognised by the issuing employer for a specific location/task.
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4: See rule#5
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 February 2018, 04:50   #8
AJF
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: no boat
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 5
Thanks Pikey Dave, that's useful information. Is it a usual requirement to have a qualification beyond "boat related" qualifications, when working on a crew transfer vessel?
__________________
AJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 February 2018, 05:14   #9
RIBnet supporter
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 8,178
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJF View Post
Thanks Pikey Dave, that's useful information. Is it a usual requirement to have a qualification beyond "boat related" qualifications, when working on a crew transfer vessel?


No idea sorry
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4: See rule#5
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 February 2018, 05:30   #10
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Mercury
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
MMSI: 235074042
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3,965
spoke to our windfarm manager.
best to talk to a company for what they require but you will need.
marine medical
first aid at work
survival ticket PST
slinger banksman usually for lifting kit onto the turbine.
some more companies to contact
mainprize marine
turbine transfers
windcat
icine

hope that helps
__________________

__________________
jeffstevens763@g is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:17.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.