Old 19 November 2011, 09:30   #21

Town: Daventry & Beaulieu
Boat name: Tigga2
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
MMSI: 235900806
RIBase
Skiffysam - It was me, I failed the ML5 medical with my GP on colour blindness. If you phone the MCA they will book you in for a 2 mile lantern test in Southampton. The test is free of charge. If you pass the lantern test then you get an unrestricted ML5 assuming everything else on your medical is ok. I failed the lantern test, but still applied for my ML5. They gave me the ML5 with a restriction to "daylight hours only". And in answer to your question I am based in Rugby Warwickshire & Southsea Hampshire. Split my time between the two locations.

Tim griffin - i am interested in more details and costs of doing a "work up" followed by the exam. Please send me a private message or email me on "Chris dot moody at aslcs dot co dot uk".

Chris
chris.moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2011, 12:54   #22

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.moody View Post

Tim griffin - i am interested in more details and costs of doing a "work up" followed by the exam. Please send me a private message or email me on "Chris dot moody at aslcs dot co dot uk".

Chris
Hi Chris
Emailed you via your contact details on your ribnet profile.
Regards
Tim
Old 05 December 2011, 16:31   #23

RIBase
Just done the advanced exam so I thought I would explain what it involved for the benefit of others thinking of taking the exam while it is still fresh in my mind.

1 Theory knowledge extensively tested via question and answer session individually with each candidate. Areas covered included flags, day shapes, lights, meteorology, irpcs, sound signals, chart symbols, anchoring, props, vhf use, etc.

2. Candidates given 3 locations to find in the dark; one chart coordinate, one lit buoy, one unlit buoy, and also a longish passage to undertake. Given time to plan this in the classroom.

3. Go out on the water and perform various manoeuvres and parking scenarios in confined space.

4. More theory questions while on the water.

5. Once dark do the passage and find the 3 locations, all at planing speeds (where safe to do so).

6. Any single error connected with the safety of the boat or crew is an instant fail.

I guess different examiners do different things but the above was my experience.

The exam was 8.5 hours duration for two candidates.
chris.moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 December 2011, 16:38   #24

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Length: 8m +
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
So, did you pass??
Old 05 December 2011, 18:42   #25

RIBase
Yes, passed the exam so now I have a commercially endorsed Adv. Powerboat certificate. Just need some skipper work now to pay for all the courses taken to get this qualification.

Examiner commented that I put too much detail in my planning for finding the three locations in the dark (but I did find them all).

The prep course that I did prior to the exam, run by a member on this forum, was excellent.
Old 05 December 2011, 19:00   #26

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.moody View Post

The prep course that I did prior to the exam, run by a member on this forum, was excellent.
It is Stormforce Coaching in case anyone is interested. The instructor Ady was fantastic, and the whole company really went out of it's way to ensure the pupils were given the best opportunity possible at passing the exam. It was a very intensive prep course and good value for money. Thanks Stormforce.